Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTT 123 SMK's

Guys

I have 200 123 Grain Sierras bought from midway as blems. They look fine and weigh out consistent, the length varies by .005 on the samples Ive measured. The leade in my rifle is too long to do any good with these according to everything Ive read on here.

Anyway, would like to trade for some Nosler 123 CC's if anyone is wanting to try the SMK's. Will consider other trades as well. Thanks

Richard
    Last edited by Guest; 02-06-2013, 01:26 AM. Reason: additional info

nobody? guess I need to build me a creedmore!

Comment

Have you tried them? What do you mean by the leade being too long? Too much jump? What chamber do you have? Both the Grendel and LBC chambers should shoot that bullet quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Have you tried them? What do you mean by the leade being too long? Too much jump? What chamber do you have? Both the Grendel and LBC chambers should shoot that bullet quite well.
        I have a grendel chamber from templar. Everyone on here that has shot them with maybe an exception or two says the 123 SMK is very sensitive to jump, and with my chamber the jump is close to .100. As a side note, Bobke on this board received his grendel from templar about the same time I did and he reports a long leade or throat as well. Im just trying to narrow down to 3-4 projos that arent as sensitive to jump to start load development this spring. So far I have 108 scenars, 120 SMK's, 123 SMK's and thought I would try the 123 CC's as I think they have a profile similar to the 120 SMK but with a higher BC.

Correct me if Im wrong because if you think they will work ill try them, though the frequent deals on the 123 CC's at shooters pro shop is very good reason to try the noslers!

I dont think Im measuring my chamber wrong, I have a sinclair seating depth tool that Ive used for years on bolt guns and instead of using their little receiver insert I use the 6.5G bore guide as a means to stop the lock collars on the measuring rod.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Richard

Comment

What's the max COL you can load to and still mag-feed?

Comment

Without looking I think it is 2.28-2.29
            Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              What's the max COL you can load to and still mag-feed?
              LR52

to give you an idea of what I have to work with, here are the COL to lands with all the projos I have:

123 Amax 2.371
              123 SST 2.357
              123 SMK 2.401
              108 Scenar 2.376
              120 SMK 2.303

What ya think?

Richard

Comment

• hill.brandonj

i have 500 of the customs...but i need to know if those SMK's will work in my gun. if so, id be willing to trqade at least a bag of 100 to ya...but how do i know?>

Comment

Rick-
                  I've got both 123CC's and 123SMK's and will try both this weekend-if weather holds-and report back. That said, my best effort with this long leade/throat has been with the new 123 SST's and 31.7 CFE loaded as long as your most tolerant magazine would allow. I'm not certain if the long leade is a result of having to polish tool marks out of throat or by design, but from our discussions, we seem to share the same spec on both our barrels. I cannot use loads specifically tagged for this barrel in either my AA or Satern barrel for fear of jamming a bullet in those shorter throated chambers, though those for AA/Satern will chamber easily in Bartlein/Templar, but then you've got nearly .100 jump and degraded accuracy potential.

That said, will report on my efforts with 123CC/SMK's as able.

Comment

Bob

thanks for the input and look forward to your results. Im thinking the cc's should work better than the 123SMK but thats just guess work based on the ogive of the noslers. You mind giving me the length to lands with both of these in your gun for comparison? The 120 looks like it may fit good at mag length. Good to hear from ya again, was about to touch base with you to see how things were going for you. Thanks again

HillBj

Thanks for offer, If you have a chamber length with the noslers to the lands, we can compare to bobke's lengths with the 123CC and 123SMK, and deduce your length from there. If not, I could send you a sample if need be.

thanks guys
                    Richard
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Bob

Did you get in any range time this weekend? Just curious @ the sierras.

Richard

Comment

Rick
                        Here's what I've measured in my Templar Bartlein with Hornady OAL tool, to date:
                        Nosler 123CC-2.32"
                        Hornady 120 AMax-2.305"
                        Hornady 123 AMax-2.371"
                        Hornady 123 SST-2.357"
                        123 Sierra 1727 Match-2.401"
                        Lapua 108 BTHP-2.376
                        I took my nephew out to ranch and shot a variety of AR's to get him acquainted with same, so went from 223 thru 308, and two Grendels, so not much time for a real result. However, I did shoot 123SST and 123 Nosler CC's at 490 measured yards at 6x12 steel plate off the hood of my Suburban without the most solid of rests and I think the Noslers outshot the SST's at that range, merely judging by hits, but really can't tell without shooting at paper at distance for a real result. Load is 31.7 CFE, trimmed cases, minimum resizing, CCI 41's and loaded to 2.8". This load with SST's is really good on paper at 100yds, but I'm encouraged to try Noslers on paper and more distance testing to further vet it out. Looking at the the OAL's we've both gathered, appears the Noslers would have less jump and the oft criticized 120 AMax may have a chance for new life if loaded long for this barrel with a 2.305/lands measurement. It would have least jump to lands of all above. Didn't have opportunity to test the 123 Sierras, but will soon as time permits.

Comment

Bob

Thanks for the info. Looks like the to lands measurements we have are identical with the projos we have in common. Be interesting to see what the CC's do on paper.
                          Ive loaded a ladder with the 108's, 120SMK, and the 123SMK, so as soon as I get to shoot Ill post up the results.

Thanks again
                          Richard

Comment

Working...
                          X