• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wonk
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Scope mount advice

So my Larue Tactical VFZ mount arrived today. The box it came in was much heavier than I was expecting and I thought," how heavy is this thing"? I was pleasantly surprised that the heavy box was from all the goodies they sent with the mount. I also ordered a Vortex scope anti-cant level. I assumed it should be mounted to the left side of the scope to be viewed with the left eye while looking through the scope with the right. Most pictures I've seen of anti-cant levels though are mounted on the right side of the scope. I'm totally new at any type of long range bench or prone type shooting and I plan on mounting the scope in the morning so can someone clue me in as to how to properly use one of these?
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

FWIW--- Mine have always been mounted to the left or under the scope centered behind the rear ring.

I've seen some pics mounted to the right also, and wondered about it as well. To each their own I guess, but I have no idea why they'd do that.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• badmoon692008
      Bloodstained
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Wonk View Post
      So my Larue Tactical VFZ mount arrived today. The box it came in was much heavier than I was expecting and I thought," how heavy is this thing"? I was pleasantly surprised that the heavy box was from all the goodies they sent with the mount.
      I did the same thing when I got mine...

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

[s]I always mount mine, so that it's the most tucked away while in the least magnification. Hope that helps.[/s]

Scratch that. I read level as lever. Dang dyslexia! haha.
        Last edited by cory; 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

So my Larue Tactical VFZ mount arrived today. The box it came in was much heavier than I was expecting and I thought," how heavy is this thing"? I was pleasantly surprised that the heavy box was from all the goodies they sent with the mount. I also ordered a Vortex scope anti-cant level. I assumed it should be mounted to the left side of the scope to be viewed with the left eye while looking through the scope with the right. Most pictures I've seen of anti-cant levels though are mounted on the right side of the scope. I'm totally new at any type of long range bench or prone type shooting and I plan on mounting the scope in the morning so can someone clue me in as to how to properly use one of these?
          Wonk:

What ever works best for you. I probably wouldn't recommend trying to look at the level while looking through the scope. Something won't work right and you are dividing your attention which will not work right either. Guys will level the rifle then focus on the reticle.

Sometime you ought to try shooting with a deliberate cant at 500 or 600 yards. And I mean a extreme cant. 30 or 40 degrees. It sure does move point of impact but you may be surprised that it isn't as much as you expected.

Guys will naturally tend to level their optic by using the horizontal cross hair against something that is horizontal in their sight picture. Or, more probably they look through the scope and see there is a problem. Quickly corrected by eye, they shift their attention to sight picture.

Most get rid of the level after they figure out that they can level up the rifle without one and or it gets caught on something and becomes a PITA.

LR1955

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            FWIW--- Mine have always been mounted to the left or under the scope centered behind the rear ring.

I've seen some pics mounted to the right also, and wondered about it as well. To each their own I guess, but I have no idea why they'd do that.
            I'm a southpaw shooter and I mount mine to the right (I use Vortex anti-cant levels also, after trying several other brands. I found them to be good quality, easy to see and good value, although you can spend a whole lot more.). I shoot with both eyes open normally and find I can see the cross-hairs and the bubble at the same time if I position the anti-cant device far enough forward. As for right-handed shooters, I can't imagine mounting it to the right - or why ads would picture them on the right, when the majority of shooters are right-handed.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Wonk
              Bloodstained
              • Feb 2015

Thanks for the info guys. I mounted the level towards the front of the scope and will use it to level the rifle then concentrate like LR1955 suggests. I found this video on You-Tube,

Set up Your Scope for Success - Long-Range Rifle Shooting Technique by National Shooting Sports Foundation by Ryan Cleckner

and found it pretty helpful. He suggests setting the scope by closing your eyes and placing your cheek on the stock in a comfortable and natural position, then opening your eye to see where you align with the scope. I did this, adjusting my PRS stock for height and the scope fore and aft to eliminate scope shadow. This seemed to work fairly well (using the kitchen table as my shooting bench). The problem is when I adjust the scope to a higher magnification, I find I need to move forward with my cheek weld to eliminate the scope shadow. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Thanks for the info guys. I mounted the level towards the front of the scope and will use it to level the rifle then concentrate like LR1955 suggests. I found this video on You-Tube,

Set up Your Scope for Success - Long-Range Rifle Shooting Technique by National Shooting Sports Foundation by Ryan Cleckner

and found it pretty helpful. He suggests setting the scope by closing your eyes and placing your cheek on the stock in a comfortable and natural position, then opening your eye to see where you align with the scope. I did this, adjusting my PRS stock for height and the scope fore and aft to eliminate scope shadow. This seemed to work fairly well (using the kitchen table as my shooting bench). The problem is when I adjust the scope to a higher magnification, I find I need to move forward with my cheek weld to eliminate the scope shadow. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
                Normal.

Try to set the scope (for eye relief) using the position and magnification you will use when doing most of your shooting.

If you have it set for a bench but want to spend a session shooting it from a prone position, do not hesitate to move the scope. It will make your performance much better and be more enjoyable. If you have good gear, moving the scope won't change your zero. However, the dynamics of a different position may change the zero so don't freak out if this happens. Do, however, record the zero for that position and see if it holds the next time you decide to shoot from that specific position.

LR55

Comment

• Wonk
                  Bloodstained
                  • Feb 2015

Thank you again for your patient answers. I am dying to shoot this thing but with the weather we've been having lately I don't know when that will be (heat index has been 103-105 about all week. Humidity is killing me).

Comment

Working...
                  X