• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big J
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

Another "which scope and gas block thread"

I hate to ask but I've been looking all over and can't come up with an answer. My rifle will have a 18" barrel, shooting from 100 to 800 yards. Probably paper and steel always from a bench. Not sure what power 2-10, 4-16, 6-24? Not sure what mount either. Nikon, Burris, Vortex, Bushnell, NF? New, Used, Demo? Mil-Dot reticle. I have a budget of 5-800.

Can't decide on a adjustable gas block either. SLR, JP, Syrac?

I probably won't purchase until going the Knob Creek machine gun shoot. There are a ton of vendors there and a lot of deals. Just trying to find some direction and I got some great help here choosing a barrel so I figured I'd ask you guys.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

My preference is for the NigthForce Unimount, both for hunting and target. It's light, it's got 20 MOA cant, and it's lower to the bore than a lot of other mounts, but not too low.

For optics, look at the 2.5-10x32 Vortex with XLR reticle for under $600 currently on sale.

You could also do the 4-16x Vortex, and there are several options in that range.

Make sure the gas block is steel, not aluminum, and fits under your handguard if you have MLGS and rifle length tube or longer, or RLGS and extended length tube.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Big J
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2015

That's two of the optics I've been looking at. I'll probably try and stick with a steel gas block with the adjustment in the front. I had to drill a hole to adjust the JP block on my 308.

Comment

• cst
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Slr is the only gas block i use. Bushnell or vortex.. 4-16x is better.....the grendel can go beyond 1000yards...so dont assuume anything

Comment

Working...
        X