• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chase
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

help with good scope.

any word on how good the razor HD 5-20is . would love to get the HD II but don't have the $$ after my 6.5 build . Got to stay out of the dog house with the Miss .
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Its a great scope, but the Gen II is a different class altogether,

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

I had decided to go with a nightforce nsx 5.5-22 vs the razor hdII 4.5-27 because i could save $550.

However, if everyone thinks the razor is 30% better i may change my mind.
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
        I had decided to go with a nightforce nsx 5.5-22 vs the razor hdII 4.5-27 because i could save $550.

However, if everyone thinks the razor is 30% better i may change my mind.
        High end scopes personify the law of diminishing returns. There is not 10% difference to my view. If a Schmidt&Bender is a 100, the Vortex is a 95 and the Nightforce is a 92. With the Nightforce Beast a 96 or a 94 depending on the feature set you prefer. This is the best article I've ever found on scopes, utilizing actual double blind ratings:

This is the executive summary and overall scores from an epic scope field test focused on long-range, tactical rifle scopes in the $1,500+ price range. This represents an unprecedented, data-driven approach to evaluating the best scopes money can buy. Over 400 hours have gone into this research, and the line-up and tests are built on ...

His methodology is superb. He went to great lengths to quantify objective findings and got repeatable results. Unfortunately the Razor II wasn't available yet when he did it. He used some criteria which aren't critical factors to me, but are to others. To me it comes down to only 3 issues: useful reticle, glass quality, repeatable and consistent mechanicals. Thus my 100 point scale vs his.

Interestingly, look where the Bushnell 3.5-21 finishes! I have that scope and it really is a bargain! But I am considering selling my NXS and getting the Razor II.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

That is easily the most comprehensive article on high-end scope selection I have seen. The Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25x56 is a scope that is very popular both in Europe and the US, and has been Zak Smith's go-to scope for a long time now.

My personal friends in Finland developed the MSR reticle, and run the company FinnAccuracy. A lot of real world input went into that reticle, but what's interesting to me is that military sniping from the Finnish perspective is what drove its development, and it is very popular here in the US in the precision shooting community.

Most of the scopes on that list are a lot of scope for a little AR15, so I personally look for the lighter, more compact scopes when glassing what I consider a micro action.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

OP I'm assuming this is going on the 6.5G build you referenced. Can you tell us what your intended use is with the rifle and scope. Benchrest from X to Y distance, hunting Z, home defense, truck gun/farm use, etc.....
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

Bwaites, If you decide to sell that nsx, shoot me a pm. You should know what barrel it will be mated with
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

I love my NF but i can do with a lesser scope on my 308. Personally for 1k ( i have decent eyes thanks to lasik) i can reach out to 1k with my 10x with enough clarity to pick out an 12x18 target. The HD series will get you to 1k with ease, and probably anything in the grendel range. where i think the high end glass really shines is lowlight and longer ranges. cheap 22x at 1 mile is horrible, the distortion is to the point i cant use the scope, the nightforce its still clear as day.

as far as quality us optics, NF beast and ATACR, kahlers, schmitt and bender and vortex HDS Gen II all use the HDO glass (i think its called) and all work EXTREMELY well for the rifle, not for the wallet though. under that is the regular NXS (NXS does not use the same glass as the BEAST and ATACR) high end leupolds etc.

What might help pair you with an optic is letting us know your budget and intended use of the rifle IE target shooting at 1k steel shooting 1k, hunting ETC.

Comment

• chase
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  OP I'm assuming this is going on the 6.5G build you referenced. Can you tell us what your intended use is with the rifle and scope. Benchrest from X to Y distance, hunting Z, home defense, truck gun/farm use, etc.....
                  Benchrest 800yards + . I do 300 and 400 all day with my 223. and I am doing 1 1/2'' are les and it has gotten boring. I built this Grendel to put some excitement back in to A sport I love so much.. Budget Is $2000 and that is if the place I go will give me 45 to 60 days layaway .
                  Last edited by chase; 03-13-2015, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

This is such a subjective area.

I have gone from a period of being strongly opinionated about best scopes to being open to persuasion and almost dismissive of those who claim to know one is better than another.

I agree with bwaites however. Law of diminishing returns coupled with you pretty much 'get what you pay for'. I also like the way the researcher puts it in the bwaites review link. Looking for a bargain entails compromising on things, which you may regret later. Plus also the good feeling you get when shooting with quality equipment. That resonates with my experience.

I agree, the review in the link is a good read and interesting to see the results. But,they are different to mine, different to bwaites, and no doubt different to yours. I put it to you that if each of the experienced bloggers on this forum conducted the same review as in the link the results would all be different. Having taught research methods for a living what I am convinced of however is the notion that ALL research is biased (e.g. Rosenthal's rats/Expectancy Theory).

Vortex is well received on this forum. March and Nightforce get a good rap in my part of the world. Our military use S&B for long range.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

For out to 800yds in the clear skies of Texas, you'll be fine with a Vortex Viper PST FFP riding a bench. I mostly use 2.5-10x32 and x44 PST's for even out to 1200yds in the summer, but I have better than 20/20 vision.

Another scope line to consider is Bushnell with the HDMR series, in the $1500 region.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• chase
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

After looking at the review I was dreaming of scopes . three days and all most no sleep!! I went to every shop I could fiend and looked at all the scopes I could and Iv got the one I am going with . The Mark 4 8.5X25.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Mark 4 glass is pretty dang clear. It will more than cover your needs I think. You can order custom turrets from Kenton Industries, and specify your scope height, muzzle velocity, elevation/baro pressure, temperature, etc. They even have options for the 6.5 Grendel.

Custom Ballistic Drop Compensators. Since 2002 we have been dedicated to precision. We offer the best ballistic drop compensators on the market.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

You can have a Nightforce for the same price http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...-Nighforce-NXS

LOL!

Comment

Working...
                            X