• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lamrith
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Scope power

Getting to be time to put some better glass on my Grendel. This gun is a combined range and hunting gun. My local members range is 25-135yrds, public range goes to 200 with once a month 600yrd (only 600 no mid range) shooting. Hunting is only a month a year, but the primary reason I built the gun. I want to find a scope that can handle dual duty for me.

I think my biggest challenge will be that currently I have a 6-28x40 scope, so I am used to being grossly overscoped. I never bring a spotting scope to the range as I can see 223 hits @ 200yrds thru my scope

My chances of shooting over 600yrds are almost nill. I have never been around a location offering that sort of distance let alone often enough to warrant a scope designed to do it. So what power would you recommend for dual duty? I think the classic hunting 3-9 would just not be enough, but I think 6-28 is to much and would be problematic in hunting situations when something pops up close in.

I was thinking maybe a 4-12x or 4-14x? My budget is quite limited, but I would like to get an idea of what people recommend so I can start looking around and keeping my eyes open for people selling, etc..

This one has had my attention for a very long time, and seems to have really good reviews.
    PrimaryArms 4-14X44 FFP Scope
    Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
    18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
    SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
    16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
    Anderson Pistol lower:
    16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
    6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

45 degree sight on pic rail of handguard or off scope tube it is the set up I use for coyote and deer faster sighting for close up stuff and more magnification for the longer range angle mount with a halo sight

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

If your sitting in a tree stand, size and weight will be no problem. If your young and enjoy lugging around big heavy scopes knock yourself out. Where I live and hunt in Montana, the slope seems to go up hill both ways Hunting past 300 yards for anything bigger than a wolf with a Grendel is not an option for me so I prefer smaller, lighter scopes. The Nikon 2X7X32 or the Weaver2.5X7X32 are my favorite hunting scopes. The optics have never failed me and have a life time warranty. I have bigger and heavier scopes for target shooting but for hunting and hiking, size and weight is very important to me especially with aging knees and an expanding back side.

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Going to try a 2.5X10 Vortex Viper PST FFP mil/mil on the Grendel being built now. 10X on the high end is not the greatest at longer range but lots of targets have been shot a long way with that power but I am also looking at weight on a hunting rig.

It will be mostly hunting with some shooting to 800 yards. I like a low magnification available on my hunting scopes, have killed coyotes and hogs at 300+ yards with scopes set at 2.5 and 3.

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Thanks for the info guys! I didn't notice that Primary Arms was so heavy, something I will have to keep in mind for sure.
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

As a rule, the greater the magnification range, the more lenses and glass is involved, which translates to weight. I've a couple of Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite Tacticals, and they are heavy. Versatile - yes. but heavy.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• lamrith
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

Looks like that bushnell is 24oz. Hrmm, the Primary Arms is 24oz, my existing BSA is 23, so at least I would not be adding any noticeable weight.

That said it would be nice to drop some if I can. Need to weigh the gun as it sits now, got a feeling it is a bit on the porky side.
              Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

Working...
              X