• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tombo
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2014

Timney Trigger

Does anyone use a Timney trigger in their Grendel lower? If so, are you happy with it? The trigger in my Generation II New Frontier polymer lower is okay, but I really would like to have something better.
  • Dave Bob
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

I have a timney trigger in my Rem 700 (7mm08) but no experience with the AR trigger. I hear good things about the Hiperfire Hipertouch http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Hipe...p/hf-hpt24.htm or the known quality of the Geissele http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Geis...r_p/ga-g2s.htm. Hopefully someone will chime in with 1st hand experience with the timney, but I say get the Geissele.

Dave

Comment

• Wheelhorse
      Warrior
      • May 2014

There was a guy at the range with a Timney in a AR15, and he said it was a good trigger, but if I ever spent big bucks for a trigger, it will be from Geissele.

Comment

• Paul45LC
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2014

I don't have just one Timney trigger on my ARs. I have two. It all depends on what you want in a trigger. If you want a very clean single stage trigger, go Timney. If you want a two stage trigger go Geisselle.

Edited to clarify:

The reason I have two is because they're great. No slack, no take up, no creep, no grit, no staging, just squeeze and snap, like a glass rod breaking.
        Last edited by Paul45LC; 10-05-2014, 03:00 PM.
        Waiting for an AR in .45-70 with a 30 inch octagon barrel, case hardened receiver, and extra fancy walnut furniture. Until the day someone makes one, I guess 6.5mm Grendel will do nicely.

Comment

• sfed
          Unwashed
          • Jul 2014

I have a Timney trigger in my Grendel lower, 3# no creep single stage trigger, best addition to that AR since the Grendel barrel and works. Greatly improved over the stock AR trigger, that is my opinion, I feel it was worth every penny, got it on sale and a discount so it did not set me back much at all. Much better than a stock AR trigger.
          NRA Life Member, CWP holder and carrier, avid reloader.

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

I have two Timney triggers, as well. One in my AR Grendel, and the other in a Remington 700 VLSS. The AR breaks at 3#, and the Remington 700 at 2# (user adjustable). I've had the one in the AR just over 2 years, and the Remington just got its Timney two months ago. The 2 year-old Grendel's feels as good and crisp as the new one in the Remington.

It's just like others have said - If you want a single stage, no creep, almost zero over travel trigger that is consistent and breaks like an icicle, a Timney drop in is a great choice. If a two stage is what floats your boat, it's hard to go wrong with one of the Geisselles.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wheelguner
              Warrior
              • Oct 2011

The Sabre Lower I am using came with a Timney and I am totally satisfied with it. NugginFutz described it well.

Comment

• Tombo
                Unwashed
                • Sep 2014

Thank you for all replies

Thank you for all replies. Based upon what all of you have said, I'm going with a 3# Timney for my AR/Grendel lower. Range report to follow, as soon as I can get it and have it installed.

Comment

• wheelguner
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2011

I am assuming from your phrase "have it installed" that you are going to have someone else install it for you. I would suggest you read the instructions.... I think you could install it yourself. It is a drop in module and simple to install and requires no adjustment.

Comment

• 65Whelen
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

I have to give Timney a big kudos for their customer service. My first Timney had a lot of creep in it, was not happy at all with it. So I sent it to Timney, they adjusted it had it back to me in ten working days with a nice crisp no creep 3lb trigger. I use it it for my hunting set-up and like it.

Comment

• jim_bob
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2014

I have a Timney 3lb competition trigger on my 300 blk deer blaster. (Installation was 10 minutes and very easy.) I have been pleased so far.

I put a Wilson Combat TTU on my Grendel but have not had the chance to send any lead down range, just mounted the scope last night.

Comment

• Tombo
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2014

I will install it as soon as it arrives. I also, because I have a polymer lower, ordered a non back out trigger pin kit. I may put in a metal insert in ( for stability), but plan on trying out the trigger with the new non back out pin kit first, and fire enough rounds to be satisfied that it is working well, and not having any pin back out issues. A friend of mine placed a non back out pin kit in his polymer lower without any insert, and said it works great. For $28 it's worth it to me.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

I've had bolt gun and AR Timneys. No longer. For a precision long range, Geissele. For tactical and hunting use, Alexander Arms or CMC. My Timneys didn't hold up to the way I use them, but others love them so it's possible I got a couple lemons.

Comment

• Grendel84
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                            I've had bolt gun and AR Timneys. No longer. For a precision long range, Geissele. For tactical and hunting use, Alexander Arms or CMC. My Timneys didn't hold up to the way I use them, but others love them so it's possible I got a couple lemons.
                            I'm in the same boat, I had a Timney but it had a bit of creep and I had some light strikes. I tried out a Geissele and haven't looked back

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tombo View Post
                              I will install it as soon as it arrives. I also, because I have a polymer lower, ordered a non back out trigger pin kit. I may put in a metal insert in ( for stability), but plan on trying out the trigger with the new non back out pin kit first, and fire enough rounds to be satisfied that it is working well, and not having any pin back out issues. A friend of mine placed a non back out pin kit in his polymer lower without any insert, and said it works great. For $28 it's worth it to me.
                              You may as well cancel that non-backout trigger kit. The Timney drop in uses thread locked set screws to secure the trigger/hammer pins within the unit. Once installed, you tighten the setscrews. Nothing moves, after that.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X