X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanprophet

Leupold 3-9x40mm Rifleman with RBR recticle question

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Leupold Rifelman RBR recticle. I had my Nikon P-223 4-12 on my Grendel, but decided the scope would better serve me on my bull barrel Prescision/varmit rifle for ground hog season. So I was given a LP rifleman 3-9x40 with the hold over recticle. I feel this will be a better choice for my 16" grendel that has become my primary deer hunting rifle. I tried downloading the manual, but there is not much information on use of the recticle. At least they could have done a better job of allowing one to calculate the hold over for a given caliber choice based on terminal ballistics.

Anyways I am planning on using a 100 yard zero, and using hornady 123 SST factory ammo for hunting season. I am a little disapointed the Leupold does not have more information available for this recticle, unlike Nikon with the the Spot On program. Oh well, price was right, and it seems to be very comparable in quality to the nikon, decent low mid range scope that wont break the bank.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanprophet View Post
    Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone had any information on the Leupold Rifelman RBR recticle. I had my Nikon P-223 4-12 on my Grendel, but decided the scope would better serve me on my bull barrel Prescision/varmit rifle for ground hog season. So I was given a LP rifleman 3-9x40 with the hold over recticle. I feel this will be a better choice for my 16" grendel that has become my primary deer hunting rifle. I tried downloading the manual, but there is not much information on use of the recticle. At least they could have done a better job of allowing one to calculate the hold over for a given caliber choice based on terminal ballistics.

Anyways I am planning on using a 100 yard zero, and using hornady 123 SST factory ammo for hunting season. I am a little disapointed the Leupold does not have more information available for this recticle, unlike Nikon with the the Spot On program. Oh well, price was right, and it seems to be very comparable in quality to the nikon, decent low mid range scope that wont break the bank.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    Dave:

Most likely the difference between 100 and 200 is 1 1/2 MOA. 200 - 300 is 2 MOA, 300 - 400 is 3 MOA, and 400 - 500 is 4 MOA. These won't be perfect but I bet they will be very close. Note that the magnification needs to be on max power for these estimates to hold true when shooting.

You will find that there is very little difference in external ballistics between most cartridges to 300 yards. Their ordinates are so close together than for all practical purposes, they are the same. You will probably see differences between flat base hunting bullets and boattail bullets at 500 yards but I bet the differences won't be more than a minute for most common cartridges.

Your 16 inch Grendel firing a very efficient bullet will probably be very close at 500 yards because the low velocity from the short barrel will somewhat be compensated for by a better bullet.

What you ought to do is to get a big piece of white paper and mark it with a vertical line and a thick cross line every inch for about fifteen inches. Measure 100 yards as precisely as possible from the scope and put your cross hair target up keeping the vertical line as vertical as possible.

Focus your ocular lens for reticule clarity, put it on max power and take out parallax (if possible) and then compare your reticule pattern to the target. It will show you how many minutes between the cross hair and the dots.

Hit up a ballistics program that will tell you the elevation needed for your load and you now have a decent idea about how much range you will be getting between each dot and or from the cross hair to any single dot.

You can use these measurements to estimate range. Target size in inches divided by minutes X 100 = distance in yards.

Or, if you like wasting money, you can shoot a five shot group using each dot at 100 yards and measure the distances between the center of each group. I don't recommend this unless you can call your shots very well.

You can call Leupold and ask but I bet you would get a different answer from each person you talk with.

LR1955

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
      What you ought to do is to get a big piece of white paper and mark it with a vertical line and a thick cross line every inch for about fifteen inches. Measure 100 yards as precisely as possible from the scope and put your cross hair target up keeping the vertical line as vertical as possible.

Focus your ocular lens for reticule clarity, put it on max power and take out parallax (if possible) and then compare your reticule pattern to the target. It will show you how many minutes between the cross hair and the dots.

Hit up a ballistics program that will tell you the elevation needed for your load and you now have a decent idea about how much range you will be getting between each dot and or from the cross hair to any single dot.

You can use these measurements to estimate range. Target size in inches divided by minutes X 100 = distance in yards.
      +1

It works for any BDC reticle. Important that you set the scope at the highest magnification, as that will always be the same.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
      X