• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crippleshot1
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

Leupold Mark AR Mod1 ??

I have not seen any talk by the horde about the Leupold Mark AR Mod1. I called Leupold and asked if I could get a custom elevation turret with stats for the 6.5 Grendel instead of the standard .223 that it comes with, just like ordering there CDS turret. They said yes and that it would cost about the same as the CDS turret. ( around $50 ). To me this seems like a very good option for a Grendel AR. MADE IN THE USA as we'll, at least most of it. I was thinking of the 4-12x40 w/ AO or the 6-18x40 w/ AO. I would like some input from you guys. What do you all think?
  • Adam Lilja
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

I have the 1.5-4 very clear scope. I love it, other than the 1.5-4 part. Can't see my holes at 100 yds. I think a 4-12 would be perfect.

Comment

• Buster
      Warrior
      • Mar 2012

I've got an "old" Leupold Mark AR 3x9-40 (67165) on a home built 20" .223 which I really like,,,also have a Leupold Mark AR Mod1 1.5x4-20 (115388) on a Colt CRP-18, which is really nice too.
      I'm kinda/sorta in agreement with Adam on the Leupold Mark AR Mod1 1.5x4-20 (115388),,,but I wished the reticle and turrets on the 115388 was on the 67165 and magnification was 4-12/16 for about 300 bucks..,,,maybe Vortex makes one........if they do, I bet it's more than 300 bucks, but probably worth it..

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

What's your intended use for the scope/gun? Target, Hunting, or a combination of the both?
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Crippleshot1
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2014

I will be using this gun for west Texas deer hunting and pig eradication. It has a Lilja 18" MLGS barrel. The intended ranges are 150-700yds.

I have a Mark AR Mod1 3-9x40 on a AR15 with a 16" MLGS barrel. I think this is a great hunting scope. Need more power for the Grendel's range.

On this Grendel build I'm hoping for some long mid range use. I don't think I want to make a dedicated long range gun out of it though. I've been seeing a lot about the vortex scopes here and think that they are great scopes, but I was just wondering what the opinion was on the Leupold Mark AR vs the Vortex. In the 12-18 power range. I just haven't seen much on here about the Leupold.
          Last edited by Crippleshot1; 03-26-2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

An attractive Mod 1 feature (to me) is the availability of a mildot reticle with 0.1-mil clicks (as long as they are repeatable). I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that the 1" tube doesn't have a substantial internal adjustment range, but as long as it's sufficient for the task, it should be okay. Also, the 1" tube is probably lighter in weight compared to many of the heavyweight tactical scopes. Looks like a potentially good scope for the money.

The Vortex PST scopes will have more internal adjustment, a better mil-based reticle, illumination, and the availability of a FFP reticle. But of course, their prices will be higher vs the Leupold Mod 1's.
            Drifter

Comment

• Crippleshot1
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2014

Thank you for the input guys. I now have the fun of choosing between them. Hard choice.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I've got the original Mark AR 3X9X40 mil dot on my 16" 6.5 Grendel in a RRA cantilever mount. If you read the instructions supplied with the scope it shows how to use the scope & turrets for 308 175 grain bullets. The ballistics of the 175 grain 308 are pretty close to the 6.5 Grendel with 123 grain bullets. I've shot my 16" Grendel out to 800 yards. The scope has marks to 700 yards and were very close from 0-600 yards for me. I need to record the number of clicks over 700 yards to get to 800.

So far for me I haven't needed turrets to match my 6.5 Grendel as the factory supplied turrets are really on for me shooting 123 grain factory AMAX and my reload of 31.0 grains of CFE 223 and 123 Nosler CC. My Mark AR is clear and has been tracking perfectly.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Crippleshot1
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2014

That is good to know about the turret matching up pretty close. I think that I will take mine off the .223 rifle and test drive it on the Grendel.

Comment

• Crippleshot1
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2014

I made the deal today. It's a leupold VX 2 6-18x40 CDS with adjustable objective. Dick's sporting just got it in three days ago and I was looking at it when they where putting it in the display case. It was the only one that they had in that model. When I went in today I decided to buy it but some knucklehead kid threw away the box. So I asked if they would consider a discount without the box. They had it listed for $549.99, I got it for $355.00! My lucky day. Happy dance.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jan 2014

I have a Mark AR 4-12X40 Mod 1 with the mil dot on my .223 and love it! Plan on putting the 6-18X40 on my Grendel when I get it together.
                      NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• Crippleshot1
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2014

Fixin to go and play with Grendel in the morning ang feed him some 123gr SST diet.

Comment

Working...
                        X