anyone ever tap a 1/2-28 thread flash hider to 9/16-24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just need to remove a few burs

tapped flash hider 1.jpgtappped flash hider 2.jpg

Comment

screws on perfect..I'll see how it works with a 5/8 crush washer and post a pic of my assembled rifle soon! I love experiments...especially when they work!

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Well done. Glad it worked out.

In case it hasn't already been said, be sure to bore out the hole for 6.5mm bullets to safely pass through.
        Drifter

Comment

That was one of the first things i checked...it was plenty big even before drilling.

Comment

• ejkoechling
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2014

1/2"-28 UNS HSS Plug Tap. Find this item and other cutting tools on DrillsandCutters.com.

Not much good to you now probably, but sent it anyway. Be careful doing that tap. I'd attempt to try it on something else before trying it on my barrell.

No,I wouldn't.
            I wouldn't take a chance on my barrel. I'd just buy one,and consider myself ahead by not buying the tap

Comment

I decided to tap and rethread the flash hider which was only 8 bucks as opposed to rethreading and messing up a barrel...so i got about 25 bucks in the finished flash hider after purchase of the tap....it works fine, screws on fine....

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                screws on perfect..I'll see how it works with a 5/8 crush washer and post a pic of my assembled rifle soon! I love experiments...especially when they work!
                I measured my 9/16" crush washer and it is the same O.D. as a 1/2" crush washer. It's much thinner so I'm thinking they are just used a 1/2" and enlarged the opening. I'm thinking of opening op the 1/2" up to the 9/16" and do what you did. The SS ones I have are apparently hardened real hard... so I'll give it a try on another manufacture like you did.

Comment

yeah the cheapo flash hider I got was plenty soft even for the cheapo hSS tap i got from china. I don't know if it would work on stainless...stainless is pretty but I can't justify 50 bucks for a flash hider when I can get an A2 for $6-8 dollars at the local AR15 gun shop. let me know how your drilling works on the crush washer....I used a 5/8 and it was a little loose. I had to hold it in position until i got the flash hider threaded on tight enough to hold it centered around the barrel. I have a Vortex viper coming in soon to mount on my finished grendel. I am anxious to see how the gun shoots with my modified flash hider...I bet it will be fine.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Just now seeing this thread... I have threaded several muzzle devices on my lathe for various projects. One method I have used is to rough cut the threads with the lathe first, then finish with the tap. This way you can ensure the threads are cut concentric and square to the bore. However, tolerances for flash hiders are not as critical as suppressors which what I'm doing this for most of the time. I bet you will be fine.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

my buddy did both the drilling and the tapping in a lathe

Comment

The only downside is that you will have some surfaces that are not anodized after the drilling and tapping...

Comment

Working...
                        X