• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmc1371
    Warrior
    • Aug 2011

scope recomendations

I am looking at changing scope on my grendel. I have a lower price 4-16x44 with mildot retical. It has 1/8 moa turrets. I am looking at a night force nxs 2.5-10x42 and vortex PST in power range as night force. The questions are should I get night force or viper and save some cash? I am used to mildot retical and moa turrets. Would mil turrets be easier to dial in? What retical would or should I use for hunting and long range shooting?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I can't tell you which one would serve you best, but I certainly suggest getting one with reticle and turrets in agreement. While I prefer a mil reticle with mil turrets, there's nothing wrong with a moa reticle matched to moa turrets. Either way, it beats a mis-matched setup.

Also, be sure that you'll be comfortable going from 16x max power to 10x. More isn't always better, so it will depend upon your needs and personal preferences.

Also, I prefer reticles in the first focal plane so that power setting is inconsequential regarding ranging and holdovers. But the feature adds to the overall cost.
    Drifter

Comment

• usmc1371
      Warrior
      • Aug 2011

I find that for me anything over 10 power the exit pupil gets too small. Not enough light hard for me to see. FfP I like that feature.

Comment

• usmc1371
        Warrior
        • Aug 2011

I'm leaning toward vortex.

Comment

• waveslayer
          Warrior
          • Jan 2013

I love my Nightforce, but with the lower price point and all the people that love Vortex. It might be a better choice.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

I like my Nightforces also, but I have a Vortex 1-6, and if the PSTs are even close, my next scope will be a vortex. My 1-6 is incredibly clear and sharp.

Comment

• Y85
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

I've got the Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP. Great glass. Clear. Bright. Actually, I've got two on different rifles. I like a little more magnification for distance, and the FFP rocks.

Comment

As far as I know, all Viper scopes have matching reticle/turrets. This would rule Vortex out if you are completely set on mil/moa.

Comment

Working...
                X