• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Primary Arms?

I was thinking of putting one of these on one of my Grendel's. Do any of you guys have any experience good or bad with these optics?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

A Friend bought a red dot for his CMMG 22 and my Brother bought a 1-6 scope for is Windham Weaponry 5.56 he uses for 3 gun. PA has great customer service and usually ships quickly. PA also sell brands other than their own but as far as a good company they are GTG. For shooting my 6.5 Grendels I have Luepold and Vortex on mine.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
      I was thinking of putting one of these on one of my Grendel's. Do any of you guys have any experience good or bad with these optics?
      I don't see an attachment or link...Maybe my optics are failing...

Comment

• tackdriver
        Warrior
        • Feb 2013

I didn't provide a link, just curious about there quality. I have heard the praises of there customer service but good pcs isn't gonna cut it if glass sucks, won't hold zero, won't return to zero, ect.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by tackdriver View Post
          I didn't provide a link, just curious about there quality. I have heard the praises of there customer service but good pcs isn't gonna cut it if glass sucks, won't hold zero, won't return to zero, ect.
          Ok got it. I'm just going to go with the known years of history and spend the bucks on another Vortex. I got a Diamondback for under $180 in 2x7-35 and its great and the price too. I use it on my Beowulf and drop back to my Grendel and it is dead on. Just have to log the adjustment as they are both different ones and go back to the correct marks, its on.

Comment

I've heard a lot of good things about PA, but I personally wouldn't put anything made in China on a Grendel. Cost of ammunition, time to the range, gas, etc. isn't worth the risk to me. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on ancillary items just so I can watch a reticle walk around, or fall out of FOV, gears that fail and aren't consistent, etc.

Self-loaders are particularly harsh on optics because you have several high-G impulses that shock the optics and internal components every time you fire. It takes good engineering, high quality materials, consistent manufacturing methods, and very rigid QC to ensure an optical aiming device can stand up to the abuse on a self-loading firearm.

Funny Tedward should mention the Vortex Diamondback, as that is what I would recommend for an economy lightweight hunting optic. The glass on them is pretty astounding for the price.

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
              Warrior
              • May 2011

I have one of the 4-14 (?) Scores on my grendel, only scope I've had on it so far, I am content with it, it holds zero, is clear, no fisheye, has a couple of tiny spec showing up in the glass, really only notice them if I'm on a white paper target, thing is solid, adjustments click good but rotation is soft. Overall in satisfied with it as a hunting optic, but want to put a vortex on it eventually

Comment

I have a Primary Arms 4-16x44 on my Grendel. It has only seen 50 rounds, but so far is clear, has held zero and the clicks seem to be true to the 1/4 MOA that they are supposed to be. Seems comparable to a Leopold VX-I 3-9 or a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 to my eyes and not as clear as the Bushnell 3200 10x or Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 as far a clarity goes, although those comparisons are entirely subjective. Based on what I have read I would not expect it to be as tough as any of those, but I got it on a super good deal and it will do for now. Like others have said, I plan on replacing it eventually. Vortex or IOR Valdada is my current plan, depending on how much I end up spending.

Comment

I will be putting one on my Grendel. I have a 4x16 on one of my .308's and for the money it is awesome, upon taking it out of the box I was surprised at the quality.

I will actually buy two of the 4x14's one for the Grendel and one for another .308 tactical I have.

wll

Comment

PA is a great vendor. Marsh has always done whatever it takes to make the customer happy. I have a PA micro on my Noveske carbine. It was going to be a placeholder until I could afford an Eotech, then I was going to put in on a .22. It has been 4 years, and I still haven't felt the need to replace it. The sight has been great; the QD mount sucked, but I replaced it with a Larue. He now offers packages with upgraded mounts. I have made other purchases from PA and have always been pleased.

I don't have any experience with their scopes though. For budget scopes, I prefer skimping on the bells and whistles and paying for decent glass (i.e. Bushnell Elite 3200 10x, Weaver Tactical 2.5-10x).

Comment

• kg4kpg
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2013

I've used the 4-14x44 FFP and it was nice. Shot it on a Remington 700 .308. Never had a problem. I have a 1-4x22 on my AR now and haven't had a problem with it yet. Their 3X Compact is very popular when you can find one and I've never read a bad report about them. I want to put the new 1-6X on my 5.56 and I'm thinking of the 4-14X again for my 6.5 until I can afford better.
                      Good thing about Marshall is if they send you something messed up, they'll send whatever part you need or a complete replacement within days, before you even send the defective item back.
                      They may not be for the battlefield, but until someone takes one down range, I guess we may never know. Definately an excellent product for the price.
                      Last edited by kg4kpg; 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM.
                      If you are an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran please visit this site, you've earned it.
                      http://www.outwardbound.org/course-f...ran-adventures

Comment

Just an update on the 4-16 x 44 illuminated (second focal plane) that I have on my Grendel.
                        I used it during hunting season this year and it performed fine, no problems whatsoever. My daughter shot a nice doe with it at just over 100 yards.

I will comment that the illuminated reticle is all but useless though. 100% gimmick in my experience. It is not at all visible on the highest setting in normal midday sun, and is too bright on the lowest setting at twilight, and will obscure the target if it is turned on. That said, the optics are clear enough that I could see targets (i.e. deer in the woods) easily both before and after legal shooting hours. Kind of a non-issue, as there is not a non-illuminated version available to my knowledge. I just won't use the illumination.

Comment

I sent Marsh an email about the forthcoming 4-14X with their 308 acss and how well it would work with the grendel. He responded within an hour ans c/c'd me the email he sent to Dimitri. Needless to say I'm impressed with that level of C/S.

Comment

Working...
                          X