• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

American Defense Recon QD mount w/ 20 MOA Elevation

After a poor experience with the $100 Nikon 20 MOA mount, I ordered the ADM Recon QD, also with a 20 MOA elevation. (What I should have done, in the first place.)

Up to this point, I've harbored my doubts about QD mounts being able to Return to Zero, and have expressed them here on the board. Well, I am now ready to eat those words, and apologize to anyone I may have taken issue with on the subject.

Yesterday, installed the mount and I took my .264 LBC, w/ 20" BHW bull barrel to the range. The rifle has a trued R-Guns NiB upper, with a MagPul PRS stock. A Harris 6-9" bipod and rear bag were used for all bench work.

I zeroed the Vortex 6-24x50 at 200 yards, and shot a few groups for confirmation. With the 20 extra MOA, it was very comforting to gain the elevation I needed for this scope to dial in the 1000+ yard ranges I intend to start dancing with, soon.

Next, I decided to find out just how close to a repeatable Zero this mount would deliver.

Before I continue, I just want to qualify the following with a disclaimer - I am not trying to claim that the number of shots fired are statistically significant. I had already become confident in the weapon's accuracy. What I AM saying, is this:

I shot a baseline shot (far left), at 200 yards, to establish zero. Next, I removed the scope from the rifle, cycled the mount's lock levers a couple times, and reinstalled the scope and mount in the same position on the rail.

At this point, I really didn't expect to see a true RTZ, but I squeezed of a shot (middle). A little low and left, it looked pretty decent in the spotting scope, so I squeezed off another. Didn't see it in the spotting scope, so I stopped. At the next Cease Fire, I walked the 200 yards, and was very pleased with the results, as the two shots were centered over the original zero.

A little more enthused, I went back to the table and, when the range went hot again, I took my time and fired one more at the third target. Literally back to the starting point, before the mount was taken off the rifle.

All I can say at this point is that pictures don't lie, and I am now a believer in the viability of QD mounts. At $150, this particular mount is a genuine steal.

Thanks for reading.

ETA - the diamonds are 3/4", point to point.

Last edited by NugginFutz; 09-30-2013, 03:01 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Excellent. It truly is one of those things that you must experience to become a believer.
    Drifter

Comment

That's at 200yds? Your barrel seems to be freaking accurate. I don't see any evidence of zero shift at all. Your vertical dispersion with an optics removal and re-install is about 3/8" at 200yds, or ~.19 MOA. Your horizontal is about an inch, or .5 MOA. Let's see her rock at 600-800yds. This close-in stuff is boring.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        That's at 200yds? Your barrel seems to be freaking accurate. I don't see any evidence of zero shift at all. Your vertical dispersion with an optics removal and re-install is about 3/8" at 200yds, or ~.19 MOA. Your horizontal is about an inch, or .5 MOA. Let's see her rock at 600-800yds. This close-in stuff is boring.
        Yes - 200, which I chose just to give me a chance to really see the true attributes of the mount's QD. Frankly, I don't know which pleased me more - the shots or the RTZ.

And, yes, shooting under 500 is next to automatic, with this setup. I was torturing a 3"x3" steel at 560, after I finished this evaluation. I intend to push out much more - the principle reason for that extra 20 MOA. I'll likely be in the desert for some LR ballistics profiling, later this week. (Work is slowing down for a bit so I need to take some vacation time.)
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

After what I saw last time with my little 16", I will be placing the closest IPSC steel sils at 650yds maybe, and going out from there. It's just not fun when I throw a new shooter on it and they make consecutive 1st-round hits on sils at 400yds and 500yds, after flattening poppers at 300yds and 400yds.

Comment

When I grow up I want to shoot like that.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Where did you get the mount for 150
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Tedward
                Banned
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                Brownells has them in stock for $149.99 for 30mm and $146.99 for 1".

I just checks as I'm in the market for one soon.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                  Got it from Brownell's, and they're still in stock, as Tedward indicates.

Comment

• stanprophet

OP,
                    How has the mount been holding up?

I was torn for a while on mounts, I like quality but I do not have a big budget. Wanted a decent mount for the Nikon scope going on the Grendel. After some long battle back and forth I decided while placing the order I had been building with Brownells I would sacrifice a couple of mags and the Nikon M223 mount and went with the ADM Recon mount. I do not really plan on removing the optic that often, but with the price coming down on the Night Vision Scopes, and Wild Hogs working there way into my hunting grounds from North Carolina, I decided to go to a QD.

I almost went with a Larue LT-104 but that would have eliminated the CTR stock I need.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by stanprophet View Post
                      OP,
                      How has the mount been holding up?

I was torn for a while on mounts, I like quality but I do not have a big budget. Wanted a decent mount for the Nikon scope going on the Grendel. After some long battle back and forth I decided while placing the order I had been building with Brownells I would sacrifice a couple of mags and the Nikon M223 mount and went with the ADM Recon mount. I do not really plan on removing the optic that often, but with the price coming down on the Night Vision Scopes, and Wild Hogs working there way into my hunting grounds from North Carolina, I decided to go to a QD.

I almost went with a Larue LT-104 but that would have eliminated the CTR stock I need.
                      I actually just held you the 2 mounts right next to each other. I haven't had the chance to compare the return to zero or shoot with the ADM at all, but by the eye test I like the ADM better.
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

The mount has been an absolute dream, and rock solid. Zero has not shifted. I have no complaints.

I am especially pleased with the lever design, as they prevent any snags from causing an unintended release. I've only had it off the rifle a few times, and I have no reason to fear doing so. Each time I've gone to the range, it was wasted ammo to check for RTZ.
                        Last edited by NugginFutz; 12-19-2013, 03:57 AM. Reason: learned to read

Comment

• stanprophet

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          The mount has been an absolute dream, and rock solid. Zero has not shifted. I have no complaints.

I am especially pleased with the lever design, as they prevent any snags from causing an unintended release. I've only had it off the rifle a few times, and I have no reason to fear doing so. Each time I've gone to the range, it was wasted ammo to check for RTZ.
                          Wonderful to hear, I think it will do well on my scope.
                          Thanks
                          Dave

Comment

Where's the worthless without pictures little icon thing? I want to see it on the rifle too

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                              Where's the worthless without pictures little icon thing? I want to see it on the rifle too

Comment

Working...
                              X