• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Y85
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

Stocks: Magpul PRS v Command Arms ARS/SRS

Question as I wait for my 6.5G upper.
    I am also building a 6.5CM and I am trying to decide on the best stock for long range target shooting. I already have a PRS on an AR-15 but it isn't compatible with the larger platform (obviously). I would need to buy another PRS built for AR-10/LR308 and I was looking around when I came across the link for the Command Arms ARS/SRS.

Admittedly, it's pretty pricey (but so is the PRS, and you have to add another $50-75 for a monopod) but it has a built in monopod and looks like it works from a carbine buffer tube. The buttplate appears to be vertically adjustable as well.

I looked on a few other fora but, sad to say, there are a lot of ego-tinged postings and it is hard to get unvarnished info. This members of this forum are always more interested in helping each other than in posturing.

So, anybody have a suggestion? I've got nothing against the PRS but it's always cool to try different things. Has anyone used both the PRS and the CAA ARS/SRS?

Thanks for the help.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

No experience with the CAA, but just wanted to mention that the AR-15 version of the PRS works fine on the larger platform as long as the cheekpiece isn't raised to interfere with the charging handle. The difference between the two PRS versions is simply the length of the cheekpiece. (Larger platform has a longer charging handle, so its PRS version has a shorter cheekpiece.)
    Last edited by Drifter; 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM.
    Drifter

Comment

+1 on drifters comment about the compatibility. Where did you find a monopod for 50-75 bucks? Gotta get one.

Comment

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
        Question as I wait for my 6.5G upper.
        I am also building a 6.5CM and I am trying to decide on the best stock for long range target shooting. I already have a PRS on an AR-15 but it isn't compatible with the larger platform (obviously). I would need to buy another PRS built for AR-10/LR308 and I was looking around when I came across the link for the Command Arms ARS/SRS.

Admittedly, it's pretty pricey (but so is the PRS, and you have to add another $50-75 for a monopod) but it has a built in monopod and looks like it works from a carbine buffer tube. The buttplate appears to be vertically adjustable as well.

I looked on a few other fora but, sad to say, there are a lot of ego-tinged postings and it is hard to get unvarnished info. This members of this forum are always more interested in helping each other than in posturing.

So, anybody have a suggestion? I've got nothing against the PRS but it's always cool to try different things. Has anyone used both the PRS and the CAA ARS/SRS?

Thanks for the help.
        The butt stock I would recommend, if you are really looking for performance and not cool kid stuff, is another solution entirely. I have owned a PRS and it is better than most but what I use in competition, when not using my service rifle is the White Oak Precision Butt Stock. With it you can achieve a better fit and eliminate muscle influence that you simply can't eliminate with the PRS. This is also what Carl Bernosky, a personal friend and ten times national high power rifle champion uses, so you know it's good enough to shoot perfect scores but I suspect Carl could also shoot perfect scores with a PRS.

With this stock a side charge handle is required so it may not be worth it to you.
        You could also use a side charge handle with your existing PRS.
        Bob

Comment

• Y85
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

ricsmall,
          Monopod (ok, so $75 -- sorry)

Comment

Timely thread, I'm building a lower for bench shooting and the buttstock is the last piece of the puzzle. The White Oak looks interesting, unfortunately I don't have a side charger. So, for me anyway that's out. The Command Arms and Magpul are priced the roughly the same if you add a mono-pod to the PRS.

Thanks Drifter, good to know what the difference between two PRS models.

Comment

• Y85
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

stokesrj,
              Unfortunately, I ordered an upper without a side charging handle (MegaMATEN) and it has arrived (and they don't make a compatible sidecharging upper) so I am sort of stuck. Bummer, should have asked the question earlier.

Comment

They make a PRS that is made for the AR-10. I think the cheek piece is smaller to allow the charging handle to work.

Comment

Working...
                X