Hydro dipping Viper PST.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro dipping Viper PST.

I'm considering having my viper PST hydro dipped. Anyone done it? Is it worth the risk? I know vortex has a great warranty, but I don't want to void it.
    Thoughts?

As long as the glass is protected, you should be good-to-go. Cap it with flip caps before the dip, and pack the optical ends with foam before closing the caps as a back-up.

Tape off the numerical values on the mag ring and turrets as well.

Comment

• Overwatcher

I would get ahold of Vortex before you do it.
      Likely everything will go great but better safe then sorry.
      I couldn't come to ends with painting or dipping mine because I am always switching and selling stuff off.
      Being stuck with a color on a scope can affect resell.
      Just some thoughts.

Comment

I asked Vortex about Cerakoting their scopes on low temperature cure in the oven, and they said it was fine. I've done two since then, with no issues, including my spotting scope.

There isn't a temp issue with hydro-dipping, but re-sell is an important consideration with optics. I personally have found that a professional Cerakote single color finish like FDE didn't affect the re-sale of my USO 3.2-17x SN-3.

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          I asked Vortex about Cerakoting their scopes on low temperature cure in the oven, and they said it was fine. I've done two since then, with no issues, including my spotting scope.

There isn't a temp issue with hydro-dipping, but re-sell is an important consideration with optics. I personally have found that a professional Cerakote single color finish like FDE didn't affect the re-sale of my USO 3.2-17x SN-3.
          Have you used low temp Cerakoting or high temp cerakoting on your firearms? If you used high temp what did you use to heat them. I have been considering using it on some of my firearms.

Comment

Low-temp for plastics and optics, high-temp for metal parts. You can do 250F for 2 hours on metals, and 180-190F on plastics. I wouldn't do magazines made of polymer, since they get dropped a lot. They require a certain water content for the zytel to remain resilient to impact.

They go in an oven on purpose-built hangars. You can build your own oven out of a cabinet if you have to. Run a digital thermometer into it, and apply the heat source of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overwatcher View Post
              Being stuck with a color on a scope can affect resell.
              Just some thoughts.
              hmm... good point...

Thank you all for the tips. I'll keep tossing it around

Comment

You can just use non-adhesive camo tape if you're concerned about getting burned on a stalking lane, or just like to practice good camouflage discipline.

Comment

Working...
                X