0moa/0mil versus 20.6moa/6mil Spuhr mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0moa/0mil versus 20.6moa/6mil Spuhr mounts

OK, Gents, on an AR-type platform, does the 6.5 Grendel warrant a 20.6moa/6mil scope mount tilt? Or does 0moa/0mil suffice?

Assuming I ever see any meaningful quantity of ammo and magazines (Did I say that out loud?), I'd like to run this new rifle in 3-Gun and Precision Tactical matches.

Since Leupold's catalog claims that their 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS has 150moa/44.7mil of elevation range and the H27D reticle offers at least another 40.4moa/13mil at higher magnifications, I'm thinking that I probably don't need any scope mount tilt.

Am I missing anything here?

Also, why are the cantilever mounts so popular on the AR platforms?

• mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Cantilever mounts are popular because they allow you to mount the scope farther forward which is required to get proper eye relief with many scopes/stock setups. Especially for those who were taught to shoot NTCH.

For most 1X-X scopes, you're better off using a 0 MOA mount. Due to the way the optics work, most of these scopes perform the best when on 1X if the erectors are centered close to the optical axis. With too much elevation cranked in they can tend to give you more of a double-vision view when shooting with both eyes open. Some scopes are more affected than others, some people notice the effect more than others, but it's the safest bet to go with a flat mount. With that scope you have no need of a sloped mount.

Comment

Thank you, Gents.

What is NTCH?

Does anybody reach out farther than 1000yds with their 6.5 Grendel? If so, with what results? At what range do those 123gr Scenars (that are still not in my mailbox) go subsonic (assuming any common density altitude)?

May I ask, mongoosesnipe, what software are you using? MacOSX compatible?
        Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

NTCH = Nose To Charging Handle
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
            Thank you, Gents.

What is NTCH?

Does anybody reach out farther than 1000yds with their 6.5 Grendel? If so, with what results? At what range do those 123gr Scenars (that are still not in my mailbox) go subsonic (assuming any common density altitude)?

Some thoughts:

I know everybody is thinking this but havent found any threads yet. Is it better to shoot the 107/108s faster or the 123s that retain the speed better for long range. Based on some of the info bwaites provided us it looks like the 107s can travel 2920 to 2950. The 123s can get to 2750 based on my tests with a 24" tube. I

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
              Chieftain
              • May 2012

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
              Thank you, Gents.

What is NTCH?

It also does windage and moving target calculations but I deleted all the info not relive not to your particular question

With top loads for the 108 and 123 scenars the both go transonic at 1000 is and subsonic at about 1100

In theory under ideal conditions you can accurately shoot through the trans sonic barrier a few people have pushed the Grendel out to 1400

Bear in mind peope used to/ still do shoot black powder buffalo cartridges out past 1000 it can be done but that doesn't make it practical, a Grendel wil drop about 400 inches for 1000 yards and about 1000 inches for 1400yards with aproxamitle 2 ans 3 second flight times respectively, 800-1000 is the generally accepted limit for the grendel
              Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

That was VERY helpful! Thank you all. Based on all that help, today I secured the Spuhr cantilever mount (0 tilt) and, based on a tip, was able to find and secure the Leupold.

Thanks a million, Gents! I'm going to have some fun with that software.

The 600# Gorilla thread is excellent, loved the XLR video too!
                Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X