Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adrenaline junkie

Magazines...

I'm new to the 6.5, what are some good magazines that work well, and decent priced?

I have a few PRI 6.8 mags, I've read others saying that they work fine in the 6.5, is that true?
  • MrDraco
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

They work fine if you only want to shoot 4-5 rounds at a time. After that you will experience issues. If you want to use more then 5 rounds you will need to use Grendel mags.

All of the Grendel mags currently are made by the same company so just find some that has a price that you feel comfortable with. I have 3 AR Stoner 10 rd mags I bought from Midway and they work flawless. The mags sold by Alexander Arms are also good as they test all mags before shipping them out.

Comment

I have not had much success using the PRI 6.8spc mags for Grendel cartridges. They do not stack well and bind up if loaded with more than 5 rounds. They do allow for an OAL of 2.290" though. The new C Products defense mags that MidwayUSA sells work well, with some adjustment to the mag body, I am able to load 10 of them at an OAL of 2.320" into the 10 round mags.

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
        I'm new to the 6.5, what are some good magazines that work well, and decent priced?

I have a few PRI 6.8 mags, I've read others saying that they work fine in the 6.5, is that true?
        AJ:

Run a search and you will be able to select from a number of threads regarding the use of PRI 6.8 magazines.

LR1955

Comment

• pinzgauer
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MrDraco View Post
          They work fine if you only want to shoot 4-5 rounds at a time. After that you will experience issues. If you want to use more then 5 rounds you will need to use Grendel mags.
          That's a bit sad, Magpul 5.56 mags will do that. I have roughly a dozen Grendel mags made by C-Products, have never had a hiccup. Mostly 25 rnd, but a couple of the 15's. My brother has had the same experience. No tweaking, failures, whatever.

I've not tried any of the ASC and "new C-Products" mags, so can't comment on those.

Comment

I have AA magazines, C products magazines and some others

They all work well

But I really like how these are made

That is all I use now

Comment

• MrDraco
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by rushmc View Post
              I have AA magazines, C products magazines and some others

They all work well

But I really like how these are made

That is all I use now
              ASC is the only company currently making Grendel mags. All the ones you posted are the exact same just a different name stamped on the base plate.

Comment

I have had some problems with my two C Products mags but zero problems with my many AR Stoner mags I get from Midway. All 25 round.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

All the new mags. seem to be fine, from the new co.= ASC-rebuilt from the old cproduct. co.= Stoner mags. are same as . If there is an issue, send them back.

One should know( or learn) how to tweak an AR mag. feed lips .I went thru a bad spot-in 08'-09- w/ the cprod. mags. I'm all the wiser from it all.- since then , I've cut & rewelded a mag-to load 2.33 ammo=oal. All for the Grendel round=w/ my fave GMX- & Interbond rounds loaded inside.

BTW-give up on the .556 mags once & for all for loading with the Grendel round=let it go., the 6.8 mags. seem to be indifferent also.

You can't trust them, they won't be reliable = the 6.5G case is too wide for the mag. Get the real deal Grendel mags. Spend more time shooting, & enjoying the round--than worrying of which mag. to use.

Comment

When one company makes them for others, do they build them to thate companies specs? Or is the name plate is all that is different?
                    Thanks

Comment

• adrenaline junkie

I wasn't really "worrying" about which mag to use, as I was wondering which to buy and which to potentially stay away from. I don't have any, and wanted some info before I bought a few. Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by adrenaline junkie View Post
                        I wasn't really "worrying" about which mag to use, as I was wondering which to buy and which to potentially stay away from. I don't have any, and wanted some info before I bought a few. Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it.
                        AJ:

We have found the 26 round magazines to be the most reliable. The straight 17 round magazines the least reliable. The 10 and 5 round magazines are problematic. I have had better luck with the ten round magazines than the five round magazines.

LR55

Comment

• MrDraco
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by rushmc View Post
                          When one company makes them for others, do they build them to thate companies specs? Or is the name plate is all that is different?
                          Thanks
                          In the case of the Grendel, only the name is different.

Comment

• adrenaline junkie

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                            AJ:

We have found the 26 round magazines to be the most reliable. The straight 17 round magazines the least reliable. The 10 and 5 round magazines are problematic. I have had better luck with the ten round magazines than the five round magazines.

LR55
                            Awesome! Thanks! I'll buy some 26's and since we can hunt in Missouri with 10 round mags, that makes that choice even easier.

Comment

I am not sure I understand the question. The AA mags, 25 and 10 rounders, seem to have established reputations specific to 6.5 Grendal and they are not expensive. Do you not want these or have other brand preferences?

Comment

Working...
                              X