rings for AA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rings for AA

I am going to mount a sightron III 6-24x50 on an AA upper I have on order. The scope has 100 moa internal adjustment. Can anyone tell me what height rings I should be considering?
    Also:
    I see that AA sells a 20 moa base. Should I be considering this? I do not have access to more than 1K yards.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Easy, there is no real argument:

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      Thanks Bill.

They are pricey. Are they really that much better than say $50 weavers? I mean : what makes them better after initial mounting?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
        Thanks Bill.

They are pricey. Are they really that much better than say $50 weavers? I mean : what makes them better after initial mounting?
        Aside from getting the proper height and eye relief for an AR platform, they return to zero extraordinarily well. Other brands do it well too, such as Bobro and ADM, but like LaRue, they are not cheap.

If you have no intentions of removing the scope to use BUIS, traditional rings will likely serve you fine. But you'll probably need extra-high rings unless you use some type of riser, and try to avoid mounting a front ring on the handguard instead of the upper receiver.

You'll need ~40-moa of elevation over a 200-yard zero to shoot out to 1000 yards.
        Drifter

Comment

I'm kinda partial to Nightforce and Badger Ordnance rings myself. But Larues are an excellent choice, too.

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Nightforce rings are great as well, and I have no experience to Badger to compare them.

However, the Larue's simply WORK for AR's. I have one set that is more than 4 years old, and they have been off and on my Grendel, my Grendel has been shipped cross country and back, then the Larue and Nikon put back on, and the zero is the same.

But to me the real test was swapping rifles. I set the zero for the Grendel, swapped it to a .308, ran it on that for 6 weeks or so, then put it back on the Grendel, set the turrets to the Grendel settings, and "BOOM" dead center bullseye.

I can't see how it gets better than that.

Yes, they are spendy, but "Buy once, cry once" has become a motto to me!

Bill

Comment

I have an S3 6-24 mounted on my 300 OSSM and relegated an equal quality scope, my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 to the Grendel. On those two and my other two AR platform uppers, I use a pair of YHM risers and a set of Burris Signature Zee rings with their gimble-like inserts. They don't mar the scope and provide a solid mount. No,they're not tacticool, but I swear by them. If your intended use exceeds the elevation adjustability of the scope, you can get offset inserts up to I believe +20 MOA. I haven't shot mine in that capacity, so I just use the zero offset inserts. With the YHM risers, either the medium or high Zee rings will give you ample cheek weld on the stock depending upon your facial layout, with plenty of objective clearance to spare. For less than $75.00, they are a good solution for my particular income bracket. The pair on my 450 Bushmaster withstand a strong recoil impulse and have held zero for over 720 rounds so far. Both the risers and rings are readily available and if you watch you sales, you can get your cost even lower. Just my humble opinion.

Hoot

Comment

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                I'm kinda partial to Nightforce and Badger Ordnance rings myself. But Larues are an excellent choice, too.
                Put Warne Maxima rings in there too, they make damned good rings, however with the need for the elevation required that narrows the choices.

Probably the best mounts and rings in the world are made by Marty at Badger, you will also be shelling out some serious cash.(you already knew that)

The worst rings I have are a set of Leupold but that is on an FAL and allows me to see through so I COULD use the irons if I HAD to.

In reality I might just stick a set of Warne's on that if something should ever happen to the scope or rings.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by davidj View Post
                  I am going to mount a sightron III 6-24x50 on an AA upper I have on order. The scope has 100 moa internal adjustment. Can anyone tell me what height rings I should be considering?
                  Also:
                  I see that AA sells a 20 moa base. Should I be considering this? I do not have access to more than 1K yards.
                  DJ:

Yes, you need to consider the 20 MOA base. You will suck up around 70 - 80 minutes just to get a 100 yard zero and what is left on your optic won't go very far. My bet is you will suck up 80 minutes and barely have enough left for 600 yards.
                  Get the 20 MOA base.

LR1955

Comment

I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtful input. I finally went with the LaRue.

Comment

Gents,

Just for future reference, LaRue does make a 20 MOA cant 1-piece base scope mount for the AR called the LT-112. It's a great mount really, but isn't listed on their site. You just have to ask for it.

LRRPF52

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Gents,

Just for future reference, LaRue does make a 20 MOA cant 1-piece base scope mount for the AR called the LT-112. It's a great mount really, but isn't listed on their site. You just have to ask for it.

LRRPF52
                        I wish I had known this before I mounted my NF on my Grendel I have 20 MOA rail for the top of the picatinny, and then mount the SPR on it, but this would be a much better solution!

I still have a new SPR 1.5 if someone wants to work a deal!

Comment

• StoneTower

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          I wish I had known this before I mounted my NF on my Grendel I have 20 MOA rail for the top of the picatinny, and then mount the SPR on it, but this would be a much better solution!

I still have a new SPR 1.5 if someone wants to work a deal!
                          If it is new and unused, call LaRue. The let me exchange a new mount for another model. I now have GG&G mounts on all my AR rifles as I do not like the way the cam digs into the upper receiver on the LaRue mounts.

Comment

Bill you could always sell both of those and get a Badger rail with 22 MOA

Comment

• MrSurgicalPrecision

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                              DJ:

Yes, you need to consider the 20 MOA base. You will suck up around 70 - 80 minutes just to get a 100 yard zero and what is left on your optic won't go very far. My bet is you will suck up 80 minutes and barely have enough left for 600 yards.
                              Get the 20 MOA base.

LR1955
                              Now wait a minute, I've used a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X with 80 MOA of adjustment and no angled base to shoot out to 1000 yards with 2 different 6.5 Grendels. The second one fell short of having enough elevation by 4 MOA. I'm not saying the 20 MOA base is a bad idea, just saying it may not be necessary. BTW both rifles were shooting 24" tubes and handloaded 123 SMKs. One was a Satern barrel and the other a Sabre.

Comment

Working...
                              X