SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Rifle Scope (BDC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65GbySeven
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Rifle Scope (BDC)

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.
  • drewthebrave
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

I've had my eye on that scope for a while, as I think it would mate perfectly to a Howa Mini or Ruger American in Grendel for a nice lightweight hunting rifle. I haven't seen too many reviews, but here's one from a couple years back: https://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2258
    For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of SWFA's optics, having owned 3 of their scopes (1-4x, 3-9x HD, 3-15x) that I have really liked.

Comment

• Mesa1978
      Warrior
      • May 2015

SWFA has a lifetime warranty on their branded scopes. I screwed up an install, took it back and they immediately did a swap no questions asked. I have half a dozen SWFA scopes, the mil reticles are a bit dated, but they dial repeatedly and are robust in addition to being backed up for any problems. They ship quickly and the HD versions are as good optically as my US Optics or Nightforces.

So, I can't comment on that specific scope, but can comment about SWFA as a company.

Comment

• Sinclair
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Mesa1978 View Post
        SWFA has a lifetime warranty on their branded scopes.
        So, I can't comment on that specific scope, but can comment about SWFA as a company.
        Ditto for me. SS 10 x42 MILQuad best scope I have ever owned. Clicks are accurate, sharp, loud, and repeatable over and over.
        "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
        Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
        Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• PVBoom
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Comment

• Lastrites
            Warrior
            • Apr 2017

I have this scope on my Grendel and it seems to work very well for me and I'm very happy with it. For what it is I'd give it a 9 out of 10, the 1 point deduction for a slightly tight eyebox when magnified beyond 8, but really isn't an issue if you have any kind of support. Glass is very clear, it's the lightest weight in its class, capped turrets which I prefer for a hunting scope and the BDC works well. Would buy again without hesitation.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
              I have this scope on my Grendel and it seems to work very well for me and I'm very happy with it. For what it is I'd give it a 9 out of 10, the 1 point deduction for a slightly tight eyebox when magnified beyond 8, but really isn't an issue if you have any kind of support. Glass is very clear, it's the lightest weight in its class, capped turrets which I prefer for a hunting scope and the BDC works well. Would buy again without hesitation.
              Thank you sir! Looking to take a little weight off my rifle.

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Lastrites View Post
                For what it is I'd give it a 9 out of 10, the 1 point deduction for a slightly tight eyebox when magnified beyond 8, but really isn't an issue if you have any kind of support.
                I agree with this. I collapse my carbine stock one extra spot at 10x to help mitigate this. I put this scope on a 5.56 14.5" pencil build a few weeks ago. I haven't shot it much yet but so far I like it. 10x in a very light package.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• wheelguner
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2011

I don't have any experience with that particular scope but I have 2 of their SS 20x42 Tactical 30mm scopes on the firearms I compete in Silhouette competition with. Both are used in unlimited small bore, one a handgun & the other a rifle. In this style shooting the scope needs to be adjusted for each of four stages at different ranges. They track flawlessly and return to zero every time. As far as the company goes I have purchased the two SS scopes as well as 2 versions of the Burris XTR III scopes. from them. I had one issue on my first SS and when I called them they sent a replacement the same as well as a call tag for the problem scope. The replacement is running well. I am impressed with their product knowledge and the way they do business. I realize this in no way answers your question but it does speak to their products and service.

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

I bought one a few weeks back, during their sale. The BDC version. Got it for $270 I think? That's about $100 off, so I jumped at it. I was on the fence about keeping it. I don't really need it. I already have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x scope (on a Bobro QD mount) that would fill a similar roll and has better light gathering. Similar glass quality I think. Full disclosure: I'm no optics guru and I do not hunt. This is just for having fun shooting steel out in the desert. I do really like the reticle though with its little dot at the center of the x-hairs.

But it looks like this UL 2.5-10x will be going on my new 6.5G 16" Monster build after all. It's kind of a light-weight upper and why not keep things as light as possible? So I ordered an Aero ultra-light mount. Due to the short eye relief, I'm using the standard mount, no add'l forward offset to it. And the eyepiece of the scope will overhang the back of the receiver slightly. I'll post a pic of it this weekend.

Comment

• SDW
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

BTW, I did do a lot of reading about this scope before buying, every review and discussion I could find. It's said by a few people that clarity diminishes beyond 7-8x, so they consider it more of a true 2.5-8x scope practically speaking. I need to get it out to the desert to use it and decide for myself. From my backyard I can look through the scope mounted on a tripod and see yonder houses on a hillside (~1500 yds away) clear enough at 8x. At 9-10x I don't know if it really improves anything yet.

It does have nice, positive clicks on the turrets and they're said to track accurately anyway.

I don't know how the BDC subtensions will map to a 6.5G, since they're designed around 5.56. We'll see. The second focal plane, so those sub-tensions are made to be used at 10x. So maybe they will be close for Grendel at a lower power?

Comment

• nodakjohns
                        Bloodstained
                        • Dec 2020

This scope is at the top of my list for my 6.5 light hunting rig i am in the process of acquiring parts for.
                        Last edited by nodakjohns; 01-01-2021, 05:35 AM.

Comment

• SDW
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2018

Okay. I snapped a couple of pics of my Grendel/Monster upper currently sporting the UL 2.5-10x. As said, I don't run 'normal' scopes this far back. But due to the short-ish eye relief, I will start out with it back like this and see how it goes. If need be I'll move it up a notch or two.

IMG_2362.JPGIMG_2363.JPG

Comment

• SDW
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

And since this thread doesn't have enough pics yet, here is one I'm borrowing from an older opticstalk thread. It's a pic of user koshkin/Ilya's AR.

Thread: http://www.opticstalk.com/new-swfa-s...opic45830.html

In case anyone's wondering, he is using TPS rings, like these: https://www.tpsproducts.com/product-...-weaver-style/

I looked into them, but the ones I'd want to use are out of stock. Plus, the Aero mount was lighter and less expensive.

i-jbK5JDc-L.jpg

Comment

• nodakjohns
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2020

I ordered one today.( stated it is on backorder) With the included aero mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X