• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goochylogic
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

Bolt cleaning tools

What are your experiences with tools like the CAT M4 and the Otis Bone tool or any others out there. Any thing good or bad? Thanks
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Goochylogic View Post
    What are your experiences with tools like the CAT M4 and the Otis Bone tool or any others out there. Any thing good or bad? Thanks
    G.I. Cleaning toothbrush, cleaning pads, solvent. Done.

If you want I imagine you can wrap the small end of the cleaning toothbrush with some green pad and shove it into the bolt carrier and twist a couple of times but never needed it myself.

I think you get three toothbrushes for six dollars. One will last for dozens of cleanings. And you will use them for all of your firearms.

Or you can spend the thirty dollars on the tools described that will not clean any better or any faster, and are only for AR-15's.

LR55

Comment

• FLshooter
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

9043DE5A-22EE-4998-A956-EC082107951B.jpeg

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Cheap toothbrush, pic, gun oil, cheap pads and qtips.

Comment

• Goochylogic
          Warrior
          • Sep 2016

Thanks guys, I saw a couple of these tools and wondered if they worked. I clean my bolts pretty much as mentioned above with out a dedicated tool. I have noticed buildup inside he carrier and have been using my pick set to get it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Be careful with any scraper. They can reduce the bolt tail diameter over time causing unnecessary gas leakage in the firing pin chamber of the bolt carrier. I never scrape anything on my bolt carrier or bolt. Solvent, tooth brush, cleaning patch and Q tip or "cotton swabs" https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod13150.aspx is all I use. For neglected carbon build up, break cleaner works great. It is easy to scratch up the chrome surface of the gas ring chamber if not careful.
            Last edited by montana; 07-18-2020, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• PNWTargets
              Warrior
              • Dec 2019

I use https://www.boretech.com/ products

Comment

• Goochylogic
                Warrior
                • Sep 2016

Thanks, I use brake cleaner and boretech cleaners on a regular basis. I think I have a problem by over cleaning my guns. I have a couple that shoots perfect with a spotless barrel and then my grendel likes it fouled. Thats the one that gets the most attention with the upper and bolt. Thanks for the conversation

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

For bolt cleaning I use these very specialized pieces of equipment.

I use P1200 or even P800 wet-and-dry emery paper on the bolt stem. Just a quick spray with the old WD40 and a few quick twists round the bolt stem where the carbon builds up and good to go. I also use the Botach tool with some flannelette over the scraping end and a few twists inside the carrier does the business. Plenty of the dreaded WD40 helps loosen up the cake and spray the inside of the receiver, especially after suppressed to sluice it all out.

Also have the OTIS Bone tool which does the same thing as the Botach but the Botach works better for me because it's thin enough to add a layer of cloth over it to give a couple of rotations inside the carrier.

It all gets rubbed dry with paper towels and oiled with whatever motor oil is lying around. I get that emery paper and WD40 is not everyone's cup of tea but works for me and has done for years.

Comment

• Old Bob
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2019

I shot 3 gun just over 15 years & I'll bet I only cleaned my AR bolt 4 or 5 times. When I did clean it, I used a toothbrush style brass-bristled welder's brush & WD-40 or Kroil. Then I'd spray it off with carburetor cleaner or that Birchwood-Casey stuff. A liberal coating of lithium grease finished the job.
                    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Goochylogic
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2016

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]16473[/ATTACH]
                      FLshooter, I picked up the Real Avid tool you posted today at a local store for $10. I had never seen one of the before. Thought I would give it a try. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X