• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Amend 2 Mag Bulge Problem

I'll let the video explain it. His didn't cotton to remaining loaded...

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Kswhitetails
    Chieftain
    • Oct 2016

Hmmm. Looks like they can't be left loaded. Not surprising, polymer isn't as resistant to this issue as the steel mags.

I wonder what happens if you load them after they've swelled then try and insert them.

Why doesn't someone make a polymer mag that has a metal insert that reinforces them at the magwel? Since they are single stack, why not make the walls thicker to prevent more of this? Seems like this is going to be an epic issue, I hope Ammend2 is ready.
    Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

well, fwiw, i must be lucky, no problems so far with my E-Lander mags from AA.

on the other hand, i'm not getting as much range time either so maybe too soon to tell?

-tdbru

Comment

• Croak
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2020

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
        Hmmm. Looks like they can't be left loaded. Not surprising, polymer isn't as resistant to this issue as the steel mags.

Seems like this is going to be an epic issue, I hope Ammend2 is ready.
        I don't think it's going to be epic, this is the first production run and they frankly haven't sold that many in the grand scheme of things, maybe a thousand, probably less.

They'll fix the problem, probably send out free replacements since all their sales have been pretty much through their site and they have a list of all the buyers, and people will bitch about the issue for years to come.

You know, like Grendels breaking bolts in 2020.

Comment

• Growler
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Kswhitetails
          Why doesn't someone make a polymer mag that has a metal insert that reinforces them at the magwel?
          Lancer has been quite successful with a steel/polymer hybrid design. Maybe with the projected volumes of the 6mmARC, someone will release a hybrid for both Grendel & ARC.

Comment

• Old Bob
            Warrior
            • Oct 2019

I bought two Amend2 mags. First thing I did was check to see if they fit in my rifle. They dropped right in & locked up easily when empty. Loaded them with 10 snap-caps & tried it again. Noticed right away there was more resistance installing them in the mag well. The resistance was enough that they didn't drop in but wasn't enough that I had to force the magazines into the well. It didn't take much effort to get them to lock in. They didn't drop right out when released, but it didn't take much effort to pull them out. I tried this again with loaded ammo... snap-caps are really light. With loaded ammo, one magazine starts to fall out but stops after about an inch of travel. The other magazine drops right out. I haven't yet tried leaving the mags loaded for an extended time & then seeing how they fit. I will do that today, though.
            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Growler View Post
              Lancer has been quite successful with a steel/polymer hybrid design. Maybe with the projected volumes of the 6mmARC, someone will release a hybrid for both Grendel & ARC.

https://lancer-systems.com/product-category/magazines/
              This.

Perhaps with the current hotness of the "almost the 6 Grendel" ARC, someone will find it acceptable to invest in it's magazine manufacture...
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Croak View Post
                they frankly haven't sold that many in the grand scheme of things, maybe a thousand, probably less.
                I'd love to know how you know that. From what I've seen, the demand has been much, much higher. I could be wrong.

Either way, for all the hassle of the "bear with us, we're testing and re-making the molds to make them perfect - almost there guys!" they've been putting folks through now for over a year; To have the mags fail on the first run right out the gate seems like the very definition of epic to me...

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Croak View Post
                  I don't think it's going to be epic, this is the first production run and they frankly haven't sold that many in the grand scheme of things, maybe a thousand, probably less.

They'll fix the problem, probably send out free replacements since all their sales have been pretty much through their site and they have a list of all the buyers, and people will bitch about the issue for years to come.

You know, like Grendels breaking bolts in 2020.
                  Wait a minute. They are still selling these mags. You think they are going to fix the issue and replace hundreds or thousands of magazines for all their buyers for free? Probably not. That is how businesses fail. They will come out with a "Gen 2" polymer mag if they manage to actually fix this problem. They will then sell them to Grendel owners as 'new and improved.'

Keep in mind that the polymer mag bulge issue was supposed to have been resolved by going with a single stack design. This magazine was the fix for having a polymer Grendel magazine in a typical AR15 format.
                  Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                  My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
                    I bought two Amend2 mags. First thing I did was check to see if they fit in my rifle. They dropped right in & locked up easily when empty. Loaded them with 10 snap-caps & tried it again.
                    What's impressive is that you own 10 Grendel snap-caps.
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      Keep in mind that the polymer mag bulge issue was supposed to have been resolved by going with a single stack design. This magazine was the fix for having a polymer Grendel magazine in a typical AR15 format.
                      Yes! A 10-round polymer magazine the size of a 20 that swells when loaded! Sign me up!
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

I think I will Cryo treat mine and get back to you...

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

That cryo will get them super-sub-moa for sure!!!!
                          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Old Bob
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                            What's impressive is that you own 10 Grendel snap-caps.
                            LOL! I guess...

After over 24 hours my two loaded Amend2 mags will still fit with medium pressure. The one that used to drop free when released, doesn't anymore. I'll still use them...
                            Last edited by Old Bob; 07-18-2020, 05:59 PM.
                            I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

When I first spoke to the gent in the vid and he explained what was happening, my first thoughts was he leavt them loaded and in his vehicle out in the heat.

But he explained they were in his house. So you can imagine how bad the issue would have been if they had been leavt out in his ride in the heat.

Now I haven't seen anyone but him say he is having this issue but I do know that several people are now testing it to see if their mags will have the same problem. Time will tell if it's a wider problem are if it is just his mags.

Now that said, I don't leave 10 round mags loaded, not much use for me to do that as I have high cap mags for defense and hog hunting. 10 round mags for me are for the range and for low volume of fire hunting such as deer and are hog hunting from fixed stand sites.

But I do understand the need some folks have to want to keep their 10 round mags loaded. And if they so choose to do so it should work.

Agree that the hybrid stack was meant to fix the swollen mag issue of grendel from polymer mags in legacy ar15 sized magwells.

My personal feelings on the issue at hand is this. After working with the SIX8 polymer mags with my grendel. The only way the grendel community is ever going to see a fully functional, reliable, low/mid and high cap polymer 6.5 grendel/6mm ARC mag, is if magpul starts selling them to fit the six8 sized recivers made by Lwrci and new frontier armory.

Any polymer grendel mag for legacy sized ar15 lowers is going to be a severe compromise in one way are another. Not that these mags won't be useful and not that they won't sell good. But it will always have more draw backs when compared to the avalible metal grendel mags on the market at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X