• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruceleroy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2015

Big Scope for a Grendel?

With the new Strike Eagle from Vortex hitting the market, would you put a 34mm tubed, 56 mm objective scope that weighs 30 ounces on an 18" Grendel?
    Would it be a bit much?
    I am buying the scope either way, I just need to know if I should buy the scope I was already going to buy for the Grendel at 4-16 power and 23 ounces with a 30mm tube.
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

If your buying it anyway then put it on and see.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Get a long range honkin' 6.5 Creed for that scope, put the 4-16 on the Grendel.
      2 rifles to shoot, what's bad about that?
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

I've got a 3-18 strike eagle, and a 4-16 diamondback tactical, both on Grrrs. They work well and in my budget.

Comment

• FLshooter
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2019

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

The benefit of a big, heavy, and pricey scope on a light-weight AR Grendel will be incrementally small compared to a more compact scope. But if you're you're going to get it anyway and it's spare then sure, put it on and enjoy.

Comment

• Red*Lion
              Warrior
              • Apr 2020

I just bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50mm to sit atop the 18" Grendel that I am building. I plan to stretch it out.

Comment

• gmar
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

Has anyone been able to compare the new Strike Eagle glass versus the Diamondback Tactical glass?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Best advice I can give is this. If it fits a need for you, buy it and don't give a second thought to what others think about it.

If one of my short grendels (12 and 12.5) needed a scope like that for some reason, I wouldn't hesitate too put it on it and go do my thing.

Comment

• grayfox
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by gmar View Post
                    Has anyone been able to compare the new Strike Eagle glass versus the Diamondback Tactical glass?
                    I've got both the 3-18x44 SE and the 4-16x44 Dback Tactical. First is SFP, 2d is FFP, the glass is a bit better in the SE and I like the reticle better (little thicker), and it's illum if necessary. Now don't know if this is a "new" one b/c I got all of them last year... but I'd vote for the SE altho like I said, they're both good ones to me.

Comment

• FLshooter
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2019

If you can find a Nikon black 4-16x50 on a closeout,jump on it. I like it much better than the Viper PST 4-16x50 for the $279 I paid I felt that the glass was great.

Comment

• rabiddawg
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                        If you can find a Nikon black 4-16x50 on a closeout,jump on it. I like it much better than the Viper PST 4-16x50 for the $279 I paid I felt that the glass was great.
                        Is Nikon going to warranty scopes now that they are out of the market?
                        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• scott_co
                          Bloodstained
                          • May 2020

For my new 6.5G build, I am looking at a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP or an Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 x 56 FFP. I have a Razor HD on my .300 Win Mag and I really like quality of the scope, so I am leaning towards the Vortex.

Comment

• drewthebrave
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2016

It might be overkill, but who cares? If you're buying it anyway, mount it up! I have a 24 oz SWFA 3-15x42 on my 18"Grendel and it's a great match for the rifle & cartridge. I doubt I'd notice an extra 6 oz. In fact, I just swapped from an Aero Precision lightweight scope mount to an ADM 20 MOA mount, and I didn't even notice the ~5 oz weight gain. Go for it!
                            Last edited by drewthebrave; 05-19-2020, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• danm
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2014

I got that exact same scope (PST2 5-25 FFP MRAD) for my 6.5 PRC... I run an original 2.5-10 PST on my 18" G...
                              Last edited by danm; 05-19-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X