Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm MOAR ret - Thoughts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StraitShot
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm MOAR ret - Thoughts ?

Good Evening Hoard !

I am finishing my Grendel build.... it has a 20" Lilja barrel so there is some reach there... Question: I am looking at a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm with MOAR ret. to top it off. I am seeking to reach at least 500yrds and it will be used in target as well as hunting situations. Thoughts, suggestions.. what else is comparable or is this the way to go.... Thanks !!
  • StraitShot
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2018

That is an excellent lesson. Thank you for points. It is the dilemma I am facing.. I want enough magnification to "see" what I am shooting at and work on small groups at range. My 7X57 Mauser rides with a 4.5-14 for that reason and is excellent at 200yrds. Yet, I keep feeling like the AR platform itself is not necessarily accommodating to a big piece of glass - and if I do she will be a bench queen....

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by StraitShot View Post
      That is an excellent lesson. Thank you for points. It is the dilemma I am facing.. I want enough magnification to "see" what I am shooting at and work on small groups at range. My 7X57 Mauser rides with a 4.5-14 for that reason and is excellent at 200yrds. Yet, I keep feeling like the AR platform itself is not necessarily accommodating to a big piece of glass - and if I do she will be a bench queen....
      It is a dilemma...If you want high-end magnification in a compact package it's going to cost. March's 10-times, Leupold's 8-times, and Vortex's 6-times zoom ratios cost more than your SHV. Higher magnification and you start to see the bullet holes at 500yds which is an advantage in competition and also save you effort. But you either pay for compactness, or you get a big scope, and some are even both.

If you have a budget then what is more important; compact size/weight on an AR, or high-end magnification?
      Last edited by Klem; 03-06-2019, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X