• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope..... First Focal Plane at $399

Not sure if anyone has played with the Vortex Diamondback Tactical scopes but, here is a quick look at one-

Last edited by mdewitt71; 02-13-2019, 12:47 AM.
    ― George Orwell
  • TNhuntsman
    Warrior
    • Nov 2018

Seems to be a good scope for the money, nice reticle but no illumination.

He mentioned the Argos as a competitor which is $100 cheaper with illumination and the mil version has a similar reticle, I have had issues with my argos with the parallax no longer focusing at 24X, I will have to send it back a second time. Something to do with the internals when I tighten down the front scope ring to 25-30 in-lbs the lens inside gets compressed and the parallax knob won't turn easily. I believe it is partially scope design and use of vertical rings, I have horizontal rings on my Helos and Ares and they are fine, I believe Helos has the same glass and tube as the Argos but with different turrets and location of illumination dial.

The vortex weights less which is nice, I would say it's a good buy for a budget FFP, Argos $300, Vortex Tactical $400, Helos $450 and Midas TAC $500.

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
      Warrior
      • Sep 2018

I bought a Diamondback tactical 4x16 for $301 a while back so you can get a good price on them

Comment

• mdewitt71
        Warrior
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Wargrendeleagle View Post
        I bought a Diamondback tactical 4x16 for $301 a while back so you can get a good price on them
        Nice, Not a bad price at all....
        The 4-16 are usually running cheaper than the 6-24 models.
        ― George Orwell

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by TNhuntsman View Post

He mentioned the Argos as a competitor which is $100 cheaper with illumination and the mil version has a similar reticle, I have had issues with my argos with the parallax no longer focusing at 24X, I will have to send it back a second time. Something to do with the internals when I tighten down the front scope ring to 25-30 in-lbs the lens inside gets compressed and the parallax knob won't turn easily. I believe it is partially scope design and use of vertical rings, I have horizontal rings on my Helos and Ares and they are fine, I believe Helos has the same glass and tube as the Argos but with different turrets and location of illumination dial.

The vortex weights less which is nice, I would say it's a good buy for a budget FFP, Argos $300, Vortex Tactical $400, Helos $450 and Midas TAC $500.
          Argos 6-24 are running $369 from what I can see online, think the cheapest sale run $329 sometimes.
          Vortex Tactical 6-24 is $399 online, have seen em on sale at Bass Pro and other places for $359 sometimes.
          Midas Tac 6-24 is running $629 online, even with MIL discount it will put you above $500 most places.
          (as in my Vid, I would not rank the Diamondback Tactical with the Midas TAC, two difference scope levels).
          ― George Orwell

Comment

• Wargrendeleagle
            Warrior
            • Sep 2018

Got mine at scopelist. They have sales on vortex optics 12-14% so you might catch a good deal

Comment

• mdewitt71
              Warrior
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Wargrendeleagle View Post
              Got mine at scopelist. They have sales on vortex optics 12-14% so you might catch a good deal
              Yep, I have bought from them before.... good deals when you catch em for sure.
              ― George Orwell

Comment

• TNhuntsman
                Warrior
                • Nov 2018

Midas Tac for $493 in stock, mil version is out of stock but usually comes in stock fairly often. Bought my Ares from this website for $650 but have found a Athlon dealer in Arizona and got another Ares for $599.

Manventure and Opticsplanet have the Argos for under $300, I have not handled the Vortex but if glass is comparable I would lean towards the Vortex tactical after my issues with the Argos which seems to be a common problem with the parallax after an internet search. I have own several Diamondbacks SFP in the past and have been happy with them for hunting, upgraded to a Sightron Big Sky II from a diamondback and was going to upgrade again to FFP Viper but ended up with the Athlon Ares.

That Vortex Tactical should be a good seller Vortex, seems pretty good.
                Last edited by TNhuntsman; 02-09-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

https://www.manventureoutpost.com/At...k_p_23975.html
                  Midas Tac for $493 in stock, mil version is out of stock but usually comes in stock fairly often. Bought my Ares from this website for $650 but have found a Athlon dealer in Arizona and got another Ares for $599.

Manventure and Opticsplanet have the Argos for under $300, I have not handled the Vortex but if glass is comparable I would lean towards the Vortex tactical after my issues with the Argos which seems to be a common problem with the parallax after an internet search. I have own several Diamondbacks SFP in the past and have been happy with them for hunting, upgraded to a Sightron Big Sky II from a diamondback and was going to upgrade again to FFP Viper but ended up with the Athlon Ares.

That Vortex Tactical should be a good seller Vortex, seems pretty good.
                  Dang, I forgot all about that website. I use to order from them over a decade ago when I was stationed in KS.
                  Heck of a deal on the Midas TAC...... thanks for sharing.
                  I will have to look into the parallax issues with the Argos more. I do know sometimes mine will not focus sharply at known ranges....
                  Last edited by mdewitt71; 02-09-2019, 03:47 PM.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

My argos 4-20 parallax won't focus at full power rating on anything less then 50 yards.

It goes past the 50 yard mark till it stops but there is no markings for closer then 50. Also don't like how the markings are spaced on mine, hard too get it fine tuned sometimes.

But other then that it has been a great scope, bought the lower their scope to test it against a vortex diamondback hp.

Other then the parallax issue above the Argos I have has been on par or better then the diamondback hp scope I have in every other way.

I'm a sfp kind of guy for my scopes. Probably upgrade sometime this summer too a Midas btr on my howa grendel.

I had got my Argos 4-20x50 with the ahmr1 reticle off Amazon on sale for 117. Keep up the good work finding deals gents.

Comment

• Taz575
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2018

I got a Midas BTR 4.5-27 and a 2.5-15 2.5-15 is on my 20" howa for Hunting and I think my Midas BTR may be pulled from my Savage 10T 6.5 Creedmoor to go onto my 6.5 Grendel CZ 527 MTR when it comes in. Got them for under $400 each when they were on closeout. I also picked up a used Helos 6-24, which is on my Savage 10 .223.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

I had a similar issue on an Elite Tactical 4.5 - 30. I moved it from my 22-250 over to my .308, and the parallax knob was noticeably more difficult to turn. I removed the scope in preparation to send it in for warranty work, but the knob turned freely, once more. A lapping of the (horizontal) rings cured the issue completely.

As an aside, most of my rings only require 18-20# of torque, my vertical style rings included. Bases? They require considerably more, depending
                        Last edited by NugginFutz; 02-10-2019, 05:15 PM.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• TNhuntsman
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                          I had a similar issue on an Elite Tactical 4.5 - 30. I moved it from my 22-250 over to my .308, and the parallax knob was noticeably more difficult to turn. I removed the scope in preparation to send it in for warranty work, but the knob turned freely, once more. A lapping of the (horizontal) rings cured the issue completely.

As an aside, most of my rings only require 18-20# of torque, my vertical style rings included. Bases? They require considerably more, depending
                          Larue calls for 30# of torque on their one piece mount and I followed the mounting instructions, anyways, the Argos will be in a DNZ one-piece on my Savage .308 PC carbine when it gets back, shouldn't have any problems then.

Comment

• Taz575
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2018

There are some Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15 scopes available for $250 at cameralandny if you are looking for one!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Larue calls for 30# of torque on their one piece mount and I followed the mounting instructions, anyways, the Argos will be in a DNZ one-piece on my Savage .308 PC carbine when it gets back, shouldn't have any problems then.

Roger that, TN. I'm always a strong advocate for following mfr's instructions.
                              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                              X