Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Can't Find What I need

My Dad wants to replace his gas block (with fixed sight) to a flip-up style. The only one I can find is Yankee Hill (http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=p...&products_id=7)

Are there any others, and does anyone have experience with this? He doesn't care about the bayonet lug and the sling mount is not a deal breaker either way. I could always get a low profile block with a rail and then add a rail-ed flip up sight but isn't that just extra effort? There is a sight I am familiar with that bolts on over the existing gas block after you hacksaw off your front sight posts, but he would prefer I did not do that.

Question #2, how hard is it to replace the gas block. Knock out the pins and slide off the end right?

Thanks,
    michaelmew
  • RangerRick

You can also get a gas block with a rail on it and mount whatever kind of iron sight you want. You just have to be sure the rail is high enough or the front sight is made gas block height.

Others:

Magpul Masada, Bushmaster ACR,ACR,AR-15, M4, Firearms, M16, AR, AR-10, Colt, Stag, Aero, Smith, Franklin Armory, Binary, Binary trigger, Franklin Armory, BFSIII, Bushmaster, Trigger,2 Stage Trigger, Suppressors, Rifles, Bolt Actions, .308, 6.5,

I have a YHM that I'll let you have cheap if you want to try it out. It worked fine, but I put an adjustable gas block on mine, so I don't need the YHM any more.

The YHM folds in a way that doesn't extend back and hit the forearm, with others you will need to check that it will clear the forearm when you fold the sight. Some people reverse it so it folds forward if it hits the forearm. That will catch vines and stuff, though, if you carry it through brush.

There are Youtube videos of mounting the gas block and removing the standard one. You will also need to knock out the roll pin retaining the gas tube in the gas block.

Getting the alignment right when you put the new gas block on is the tricky part. The manufacturer usually has instructions because it will vary a little with the different styles.

RR
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2012, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• michaelmew

Thanks for the offer RangerRick! I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll PM you to get the details.

Comment

Working...
      X