Clear All
  • Swampfox
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Scope for next build

• ty_hooper12
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

Something in the 1-4x or 1-6x range would be great for that. Maybe a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 or a Leupold VX-Freedom 1-4

Comment

• RobertFL
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I have a 2.5 x 10x Bushnell Elite 4500 on my 450 BM and 6.5 Grendel rifles. So far no problems, price was good too.

Comment

• RobertFL
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

To add to My post above...My rifles are for hunting hogs and deer, I don't shoot much, no long range paper or steel at this time. Most of my hunting shots are less than 60 yards from a ladder stand or Sitting on a chair in natural ground blind, my hunt club is mostly think stuff so not good for spot and stalk.

Comment

• Swampfox
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Robert about 100 yards is all I will shoot it. TY I do like the strike eagle, but I’m just sold on a 24mm objective if one has to shoot at low light.

Comment

• JoeFriday
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2018

I'm thinking of a 450 Bushmaster and I have a Sig Romeo5 red dot sitting around that I think will be what I put on it to start with.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

100 yard max distance, I would be putting on a red dot sight that has a 2 moa dot.

Comment

• murfvol
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2016

A red dot is a great idea for 100 yards.

If you want glass, my Burris 1.5x6 has been fantastic for super close to 275 yard shots. I'm amazed how quickly I can acquire targets 10' away, and how it can still pick up a golf ball at almost 300 yards.

Comment

• Swampfox
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2018

Yeah red dot does sound good

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Red Dots are great until you need to PID antlerless vs antlers with background vegetation in the shadows.

A lot of Red Dots have a terrible hue to the glass that really cuts down on light passage through the optics as well.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Swampfox
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      Red Dots are great until you need to PID antlerless vs antlers with background vegetation in the shadows.

A lot of Red Dots have a terrible hue to the glass that really cuts down on light passage through the optics as well.
                      What is your recommendation?

Comment

• NeilVT79
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2018

Swampfox, what is your price range? I would suggest a low powered variable. Their are many good options depending on your budget.
                        I agree with LRRPF52, tried a red dot for hunting and have had that very situation where I could not identify if the deer had antlers.

Comment

• Swampfox
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by NeilVT79 View Post
                          Swampfox, what is your price range? I would suggest a low powered variable. Their are many good options depending on your budget.
                          I agree with LRRPF52, tried a red dot for hunting and have had that very situation where I could not identify if the deer had antlers.
                          Neil I was looking at possibly a vortex strike Eagle Or vortex viper in the 2-7 power range. The issue I looking at was low light situations with small objectives. Here in NC I get six deer tags a year, and no hog limit. So I’m not really need to worry about antlers plus I have boiled and boiled antlers and they haven’t got soft enough to eat.

Comment

• NeilVT79
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2018

Ok, so your're looking at around $300 range, want something good for low light, and will be hunting within 60-100 yard range? If low light is a concern then I would not recomend either of those vortex scopes since neither has an illuminated reticle.

You should look into a 3x prizm scope. They have the quick acquisition of a red dot but can make very precise shots out to 100 easy. They have a larger field of view than with most 1-6 scopes. Also they have an illuminated reticle for low light and if you have astigmatism it will be clean and crisp compared to a red dot.

Their are several good brands that make 3x prizms, Vortex spifire 3x, Athlon Midas BTR, and Primary Arms 3x to name a few. I personally have the PA 3x on a 10" 7.62x39 AR and I love it.

Here in VT we can't shoot any deer with a rifle that doesn't have at least a 3pt rack. We only can get the does during archery and muzzleloader.

Comment

• NebSig
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2018

I second the 3x prism. I have a vortex ar 1x on a 100yd max gun. It is crisp enough, decent field of view. Just wish I had thought a little further and gone with the 3x. 1x is great 10-50yd, but those 100yd shots are hard to get precise on. But it's plenty to rock a shot into the boiler room.

Comment

Working...
                              X