• King31
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2016

Riton Optics Good or Bad?

Trevor | NRA Life Member
  • imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

what's important to you for the scopes? Do you prefer a certain reticle type? Do you want to dial elevation changes? Do you have a goal with keeping weight low?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

I have never heard of Riton Optics. My thoughts on optics are this. If you buy good optics from an established/known brand, you will generally get what you expect. If you buy optics from an unknown, you might find a gem and end up with a great deal on something that works well for you, or you might end up with garbage. Garbage may be a bit harsh here as the optics may be serviceable but not necessarily all that great. Or you might end up with actual garbage that falls apart after a relatively short use life.

In short, if you purchase an unknown (often for a great price), don't be surprised if the purchase doesn't meet your standards.

With that said, it is Japanese glass of foreign manufacture. It is a budget scope from a fairly new company. Initial reviews look pretty good. Be our field tester! Supposedly they have an unlimited lifetime warranty...
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• imaguy3
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Any particular reason you want the 2-7 vs one of the many 1-6 and 1-8 scopes out there today? The riton description of the 2-7 says it's optimized for a .22lr... I'd avoid it for anything other than that.

Comment

• King31
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
          Any particular reason you want the 2-7 vs one of the many 1-6 and 1-8 scopes out there today? The riton description of the 2-7 says it's optimized for a .22lr... I'd avoid it for anything other than that.
          Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• imaguy3
            Warrior
            • Mar 2018

So what kind of price range do you want? I assume you want SFP scopes instead of FFP?

I'm really enamored with Bushnell lately.. their Forge line hits way above it's price class in terms of clarity and true tracking.
            The glass on the forge is equivalent with an HDMRII I have and tracking is true as I have dialed my grendel out to 1000 yards with it.
            I also recently dumped a pair of Eagle Optics ED binos (equivalent to Vortex Viper HD, who also owned eagle optics) for their Forge binos as well.

I used to be a vortex whore, all my guns had vortex on them and now all my rifles wear Bushnell, all I have left that's Vortex is a pair of razor 12x50 binos... which honestly the forge 10x I have are awefully close to..

I would take a hard look at their Nitro line for a basic hunting scope. Despite the reputation of the cheap bushnell's from the past, they have really stepped up their game the last few years. You get a name brand and they now offer a lifetime warranty similar to others

They have a bunch of reticle options too https://www.bushnell.com/Products/Ri...?sku=RN2104BS3

Vortex has a 2-8 in the Diamondback HP line (the least expensive vortex I'd ever consider)

Burris also has a 2-7 with their lifetime warranty.. https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/...scope-2-7x35mm

Comment

• GregP42
              Warrior
              • Mar 2015

I have two of their scopes, a 1-4x24 on my 6.5 grr pistol, and a 6-24x50 ffp on my 6.5 grr bolt gun. So far I have had 0 issues with them, and when I sent them an email with a question I got a call back from them and they gave me their cell number to call them directly if I ever had any other question. The glass is clear, and the 6-24 is as clear or better than my mark IV scope on my F class rifle. That said, I really haven't heard much else about them from anyone else.

Greg

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by King31 View Post
                I’m essentially trying to kill 2 birds with one stone has Riton has a BOGO deal going on. I know they are fairly new and do not have much of a track record. Unfortunately my needs are quite different since I’m trying to scope a Marlin 357 lever gun and also a 18” Grendel. I like the 2-7x32, but there are very few, if any on the particular model. Does anyone have experience with these guys? Would I be better off going a different direction or a different power scope? Thanks everyone
                K31:

In their FAQ's they actually admit the optics are made in Japan or Communist China depending on the price. I can't see the Japanese making something for less than someone in Red China so I would be very confident their optics are made in Red China. They claim proprietary lens coating. Maybe the CHICOM company making the glass says so but most likely it was something they stole from an honest company and are being protected under some sort of Chinese proprietary laws. Or the coating is a cheap one that the company doesn't want to admit they are using.

I would NOT bet that the optics are as dependable as one made in the USA with parts made in the USA, assembled in the USA and inspected / tested in the USA prior to sale.

I would avoid them.

LR55

Comment

• NeilVT79
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2018

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                  I would NOT bet that the optics are as dependable as one made in the USA with parts made in the USA, assembled in the USA and inspected / tested in the USA prior to sale.
                  LR55,
                  Just to play devil's advocate, which optic company do you know of that makes everything in house in USA? I cant think of any major optic producers that dont have at leadt some manufacturing in Asia or Europe.

Comment

• King31
                    Bloodstained
                    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by NeilVT79 View Post
                    LR55,
                    Just to play devil's advocate, which optic company do you know of that makes everything in house in USA? I cant think of any major optic producers that dont have at leadt some manufacturing in Asia or Europe.
                    Trevor | NRA Life Member

Comment

• NeilVT79
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2018

Exactly. I’m not a brand whore but I do like to spend my hard earned money where I see fit. My small purchase isn’t going to affect the USA or China/Japan for what it’s worth.

I think I will send them an email, just to get their thoughts on the situation and my goals.
                      The 1-4 could be a good choice on your .357, maybe the 3-9 for the grendel? If you do go for it, let us know I'd like to see a review.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

LR55,
                        NVT:

Buy as much stuff made in Communist China as you want. It doesn't bother me in the least. Have experience with CHICOM knock offs and they are not high quality. They are getting more expensive though.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Exactly. I’m not a brand whore but I do like to spend my hard earned money where I see fit. My small purchase isn’t going to affect the USA or China/Japan for what it’s worth.

I think I will send them an email, just to get their thoughts on the situation and my goals.
                          K31;

Yep, I insist on buying one brand of anything.

My brand is "USA".

And no, I do not send my money to countries that steal our technology and threaten my freedom.

LR55

Comment

• NeilVT79
                            Bloodstained
                            • Oct 2018

Comunist and Marxist ideals are murderous and evil..but this is a thread about a scope, not geo political trade.

Comment

• LR1955
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2011

Comunist and Marxist ideals are murderous and evil..but this is a thread about a scope, not geo political trade.
                              Neil:

If you buy a product that was imported, part of your money will go to the country or origin. In this case, if the optics being sold were made in Red China, some of the money made from their sales will go to Red China. I would not think the same if they are made in Japan. In fact, if they were made in Japan and nothing else compared in the USA, I would buy them. Why? Japan is a very strong ally of ours. I will not advise anyone here to give money to an enemy, no matter how good the product may be.

As for the optics coming out of Red China -- they are getting better and better as the years go by. Probably because they will reverse engineer something and steal any proprietary information needed to gain a market share. They are getting better and better very quickly.

I have used CHICOM optics and viewed them as throw away's. They are functional but for me were prone to break for no apparent reason.

Greg says his are great. I believe him. I also believe one day he will be blasting away and the optic will break so I hope he holds on to his receipt and the place that sold him the optic is still around.

That said, you do what ever you want. Unlike Red China, you are free.

LR55

Comment

Working...
                              X