Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wisconsinteacher

Scope power

I am not looking for brand, just the power you would recommend for a 16" Grendel shooting from 50-500 yards?

Is a 4.5-14 too big?

I have a 3x9 Burris Tac II on my 16" Grendel. I like the balence on the shorter barrel and don't feel under scoped. Have a 4.5 x 14 on my 22" Css grendel. K

Comment

Originally posted by wisconsinteacher View Post

Is a 4.5-14 too big?
      Nope. Sounds like you might be looking at a Burris.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Something that tops out between 10x and 15x seems appropriate for the Grendel.

I would lean towards the lower end of that for a 16", with intentions of keeping the optic relatively light and compact.
        Last edited by Drifter; 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM.
        Drifter

Comment

I am not looking for brand, just the power you would recommend for a 16" Grendel shooting from 50-500 yards?

Is a 4.5-14 too big?
          Sound about right, I went with a 2.5-10X on my 16" Grendel but I put more of a premium on weight than power. Power add weight.

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

Yes, I am looking at a Burris.

Comment

Yes, I am looking at a Burris.
              Had one on a 300WSM. Nice optics for the price.

Comment

• DocTheZombieKiller

What would be a good scope, not too expensive, for a 6.5 G with a 24" barrel?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DocTheZombieKiller View Post
                  What would be a good scope, not too expensive, for a 6.5 G with a 24" barrel?
                  Define "not too expensive"?

Welcome to the boards!

Comment

• DocTheZombieKiller

Well, I'm 16, and it's going to be my first rifle. My parents hate firearms and anything related to them. But I convinced my mom to let me get a rifle if I pay for it, So I'm going to get the grendel upper from Alexander Arms and the lower from Rock River Arms. The only reason for this is cost, I want a quality firearm as cheap as i can go. So "not to expensive" would be anything decent-high quality and affordable for a kid like me. I was looking at the Tasco Pronghorn scope from Cabelas, its very cheap with good reviews

Comment

I have 5- 6 Burris scopes (FFII &Black Diamonds.) and a 4-14 mounted on a Grendel hunting rifle. It works good between 50- 300 yards (about 1-2 MOA) 300-400 yards OK (6-12 inch groups),then @>400yards I start missing. I am slowly "upgrading" to Minox scopes. I say "upgrading" because I can see smaller lines closer together with the minox scopes when placed side by side with the Burris scopes. And when I look @ camera land advertising on this forem, I find the Minox scoopes to be chaeper. The Burris scopes are shorter though.

Comment

• kbarnes12
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2011

Well, I'm 16, and it's going to be my first rifle. My parents hate firearms and anything related to them. But I convinced my mom to let me get a rifle if I pay for it, So I'm going to get the grendel upper from Alexander Arms and the lower from Rock River Arms. The only reason for this is cost, I want a quality firearm as cheap as i can go. So "not to expensive" would be anything decent-high quality and affordable for a kid like me. I was looking at the Tasco Pronghorn scope from Cabelas, its very cheap with good reviews
                        http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tasco...h-All+Products
                        Over 30 years ago at the age of 16, I got my dream rifle, a Rem 700 in .270 and put a Walmart Tasco scope on it. I have been shooting .5" groups at 100 yards ever since.

That being said, on the Grendel I am building now, I am going to put a Truglo scope with a 50mm objective lens for better dawn and dusk vision. It will cost under $100. Truglo may be a "cheap" brand, but 2 years ago I put a Truglo on my 10 year old son's muzzle loader because of the long eye relief, and have had no problems with it.

Some people swear high dollar scopes are needed to shoot accurately, but I have found good quality economical scopes serve most hunting and shooting situations very adequately.
                        sigpic
                        Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Tasco...h-All+Products
                          Welcome to the board, you've made an excellent choice with the Grendel. There are some very good scope out there for a good price but when your looking at scopes look beyond the price and make sure it has a solid manufacturer's warranty, just in case something does go wrong you can get it replaced. Also, the retailer you buy it from, what is there return policy, will they stand behind it? Good luck and good shooting.

Comment

• DocTheZombieKiller

Thanks for all the responses, I'll be sure to post about my new rifle when i get it!

Comment

A 1-4x, 1-6x, 1-8x, 2.5-10x, or 3-9x are all good fit for the 16" Grendel. I would save for a Vortex and not waste money on bad glass/gears.

Comment

Working...
                              X