• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angry_Waiter

Vortex pst....FFP?

Gents,

Please weigh in,

Is the FFP option on the Vortex pst line worth the money? What is the advantage? Anyone with the 4x16 pst with FFP would you please give us your thoughts...

thanks

FFP means the reticle will increase in size as magnification is increased. This keeps the reticle relative to the target and allows for much better holdover shots than a SFP scope. However if you have a high power scope and are going to primarily be doing very long long range shooting a SFP might be better since the reticle stays the same size through out magnification.

Comment

• RangerRick

Yes it's worth it, the FFP means that the scale of the reticle is the same no matter what magnification you are using. So if you are using the reticle to estimate range, you don't have to factor in the zoom magnification.

If there are 3 inches between two stadia lines at 4X, there will be 3 inches between two stadia lines at 16X.

The disadvantage is that, depending on the particular scope and its magnification, at minimum magnification the reticle may be small, and when the magnification is large the ends of the cross hairs may be cut off.

RR

Comment

• Angry_Waiter

Thanks for the info.

Comment

You will get a finer reticule with the second focal plane, which can be useful for something like F-Class. That said, I haven't had any problems with the slightly bolder lines of the FFP, and I like how it remains true. It's a trade off.

Comment

• Angry_Waiter

I have decided to put the scope on the backburner. I am going to work with the Trijicon until the budget allows. In the meantime, I have ordered a Magpul UBR in fde, and am looking at the Troy 15" extreme TRX. Anyone running one of these?

Scope seems like a perfect thing for a fat tax return in Feb...

Comment

Working...
            X