• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingfish1982
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2017

Electronic hearing protection

Looking for a good budget hearing protection preferbly under$150. Looked at Howard leight sports, and cabelas str. Anyone have anything input on these or others.
    Thanks in advance
  • mdram
    Warrior
    • Sep 2016

careful of the howard leight model
    there was a thread on ar15.com about a recall and refund
    just some targets for printing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• Nick
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Are you looking hunting or for general shooting sports? I am using the walker's razor slims and have been pleased with their performance, but they are more for range shooting. Went with the slim because it seemed normal size muffs got in my way when rifle shooting. They do a good job of reducing noise, but I still need to wear plugs with them. They ran me about $50 on sale at midway

Comment

• keystone183
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

This model comes with the bluetooth so makes them handy for mowing or shredding or something similar while listening to your music. I love mine. And they are completely out of the way when shooting. Also, much better ACTUAL noise reduction than any of the muff models i've tried. These are the best thing for duck hunting i have ever found!

Comment

• mdewitt71
          Warrior
          • Dec 2016

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport and Peltor Sport Tactical.....
          I also have both the Caldwell models from Midway USA and really do not like them, much better out there.

I like the Peltors a lil better but, for $40 the Howard Leight are far from junk... a good deal.

― George Orwell

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I have two sets of Peltor 6s Tactical ear muffs and the oldest pair are at least ten years old. I bought a pair of Howard Leight ear muffs last year but I like the Peltor better. The Howard Leight have a rectangle shape which don't seal as well below my ears as well as the rounded shape of the Peltors.

For the money the Howard Leight are the best of the cheaper ear muffs I've used. The electronics and switches just don't last on the Caldwell muffs.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I've had the Howard Leight's for many years now. I don't know if we've even changed the batteries. They get a lot of battery mileage, at least mine do.

Peltors are good too.

Same with MSA Sordins, but they are beyond $150.

There are usually some good sales on the HLs well below $50 even.

I make boonie hats that snap around electronic muffs so you don't lose the brim for sun protection.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Trock03
                Bloodstained
                • Jun 2012

@LRRP not to hijack the thread but would you mind posting a pic of your boonie being worn with the muffs? Can the hat be removed independently of the muffs?

TC

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

You can don and remove the muffs without taking the hat off. It also has a rear neck veil to prevent your neck from getting burned.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2016

Integrated Electronic Hearing Muff Boonie Hat is Great!!!

Whatever electronic muffs you buy the co-purchase needs the Integrated Electronic Hearing Muff Boonie Hat at www.AR15buildbox.com . I bought one for myself and my adult son. They have Velcro flaps on the brim to let your hearing protection fit perfectly. I bought the shorter brim which works great with a scope and not catch wind, but long enough to shield sun and snow. Pic is Kiabab AZ cull buck 472 yard shot 12 mph crosswind with hearing muff boonie hat. My MSA Sordin Supreme Pro are covered by the hat except for the strap going over my head. Cull DNA = buck should have been a 4X4 or better at his age.
                    3X3 Cull 2016 Gen Rifle 12a W 472yd Shot 6mm Creedmoor 105HybridBerger LoRes.jpg
                    Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

• mdewitt71
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I've had the Howard Leight's for many years now. I don't know if we've even changed the batteries. They get a lot of battery mileage, at least mine do.

Peltors are good too.

Same with MSA Sordins, but they are beyond $150.

There are usually some good sales on the HLs well below $50 even.

I make boonie hats that snap around electronic muffs so you don't lose the brim for sun protection.

I take it that is the Large Brim model pictured?
                      I would love to see a small brim model as well.......

Does the neck flap remove with velco or something to make it just the hat if needed?
                      I will probably buy on in Kryptek Highlander camo in the future.
                      ― George Orwell

Comment

• AZBackcountry
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2016

Creedmoor shooting South Humboldt resized.jpg
                        A correction on my post. They have snaps on the flaps on the brim that go around the straps on the muffs. I put this boonie hat on my electronic muff last September and have not taken it of them since. I wrap the hat and neck shade around the muffs to protect them when they are off my head.
                        My adult son likes his hat so much that he just ordered the wide brim for turkey hunting.
                        Last edited by AZBackcountry; 03-10-2017, 12:21 PM. Reason: adding picture
                        Life is fun when your ammo budget is more than your house payment.

Comment

Working...
                        X