X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

The LabRadar probably is getting a stronger return from the Sabot than the bullet. RADAR works off reflected radio signal, a flat surface like a sabot will be in the path of the bullet between the bullet and labradar transmitter.

Think of a semi going down the highway with a sportscar directly behind and close to the semi. A radar will generally display the larger object because it reflects more energy. Shotguns shooting sabotted bullets will probably be affected the same way.

It would be interesting to test shot loads, the wad might fall away from the shot pattern quick enough to get the reading on the shot column. Most traffic radar or even radar used to clock baseballs will not give a speed if the radar can not get an uninterrupted track of sufficient distance. The RADAR frequency shift correlates to the speed of the object and it's software is designed to limit false returns. If there is an inadequate uninterrupted track no speed will be displayed.

Comment

• diddlyv
      Warrior
      • Aug 2016

I got one of the Second Shipments of the Lab Radar. Like it a lot but it was about 250 over your max. I have heard good things about the magneto speed. One of the range masters at Ben Avery was talking to me about my Lab Radar and his Mageneto. Seems with thin tapered barrels it has a tendency to shoot loose. Maybe a few wraps of masking tape would fix that minor problem. Says it stays put on bull barrels.
      Queen of Battle
      Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Shooting loose on tapered barrels?

Yup, has happened to me too. I have also gotten the thing to shoot loose on a bull barrel.

BUT it doesn't happen when it is made good and tight and with checks every few shots to carch any drift and retight when needed
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Frank45
          Warrior
          • Mar 2016

I too was wondering about the Magneto Speed chrono. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

• Redomen
            Warrior
            • Jun 2016

Just received it in the mail! They may have redesigned the strap. It has a spring buckle and a screw. I will be sure to check every couple of shots anyway. It appears to be an easy to use piece of equipment. Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

• henschman
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2016

I am doing just fine with my $100 Competition Electronics ProChrono from Midway. I can't think of a time it's ever missed a reading. I haven't checked it's readings against another chrony for accuracy or anything, but when plugged into a ballistics calculator, the dope it gives me is spot on, so I have never seen any reason to use anything else. It gives all the readings you're looking for OP... and if you want to interface with a smartphone or tablet, they sell a bluetooth module separately that lets you do that.
              Last edited by henschman; 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X