• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Optics for my benchrest switchbarrel

I am torn. Presently my rifle is under construction. I have both 6BR and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for it.

Soon I must make a decision on optics. I love the Nightforce Competition but that scope is about $2500. I will only have about $1200 in the rifle. Seems to defeat the purpose of a budget benchrest rifle to spend.twice as much on optics.

I would go with the Nightforce Benchrest but they just don't have enough vertical adjustment and lack a zero stop.

Looking for.advice here. I would like the budget to be about what I put into the.rifle.
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Oops

Sorry guys I meant to post this on the savage forum

Comment

• lrgrendel
      Warrior
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Rickc View Post
      I am torn. Presently my rifle is under construction. I have both 6BR and 6.5 Creedmoor barrels for it.

Soon I must make a decision on optics. I love the Nightforce Competition but that scope is about $2500. I will only have about $1200 in the rifle. Seems to defeat the purpose of a budget benchrest rifle to spend.twice as much on optics.

I would go with the Nightforce Benchrest but they just don't have enough vertical adjustment and lack a zero stop.

Looking for.advice here. I would like the budget to be about what I put into the.rifle.

The new Vortex Golden Eagle 15 - 60 x 52mm

Comment

• Fredman
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

I regularly see NF Comp used on the Accurateshooter forum. Also NXS 8x32 and 12x 42 I believe.
        Nothing wrong with spending more money on scope than rifle. You've got to see it to hit it.

Comment

• Rickc
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Fredman View Post
          I regularly see NF Comp used on the Accurateshooter forum. Also NXS 8x32 and 12x 42 I believe.
          Nothing wrong with spending more money on scope than rifle. You've got to see it to hit it.
          I am with you man. And my 60 year old.eye aren't what they used to be.

I have checked the classified on the benchrest forums. They really don't want much less than a new one cost.

There was an update in 2014 that corrected many of.the issues people had. Now it is 1/8 moa clicks 10 moa per revolution and the FCR-1 recticle is an improvement over the original choices

Lots of those for sale aren't the new ones.

One thing about those high magnification scopes is eye relief and getting.in the right position to see through it. With my vx-6 24 power it is effortless but with the 7-42 your head positioning has to be perfect. I have an adjustable cheek piece and have even put a piece of tape on it where I know where my cheek needs to be. Different bench heights wreak havoc on my setup.

Comment

• RicosRevenge
            Warrior
            • Jan 2016

Rick, have you ever checked into a Weaver T-24 or T-36? I'm all about big boy glass... but if this is a budget rifle used for benchrest only; the "old school" Weavers are fantastic. 1/8th minute target dot with 1/8" turrets and no 2nd focal plane issues since it is a fixed power scope. Oh, and about $475.

Comment

• Rickc
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

Originally posted by RicosRevenge View Post
              Rick, have you ever checked into a Weaver T-24 or T-36? I'm all about big boy glass... but if this is a budget rifle used for benchrest only; the "old school" Weavers are fantastic. 1/8th minute target dot with 1/8" turrets and no 2nd focal plane issues since it is a fixed power scope. Oh, and about $475.

http://www.bearbasin.net/product_p/wvr849974.htm
              Actually I used them back when they were state of the art. Still use a T-36 on a .22 rimfire bench gun.

But if that vortex comes back with good.reviews I think I will get it. That fits my budget.

Comment

• diddlyv
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

I have a T16 Steel bodied from El Paso Days, scope is great repeatable etc, but today's glass is sooooo much better and brighter but shooting paper in good light the old scope still works just fine.
                Queen of Battle
                Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

Working...
                X