American Defense 20MAO Scope Mount (return to zero)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingJD79
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2015

American Defense 20MAO Scope Mount (return to zero)

Horde, I've got a newb questions for ya'll. I've recently zero'd my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 at 100 yards. I've heard all the talk about return to zero mounts but really, is there such a thing? I'm about to cut the foam in my 1720 Pelican case for my Grendel and wanted to know if I should never remove the mount from my rifle or if I'm safe. For those of you with the experience and have removed your scope and remounted, is it spot on or is there a little play. Thanks in advance.
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I have an ADM Recon QD under my Vortex scope and I've been quite happy.

I'd previously posted an experience with RTZ here
    After a poor experience with the $100 Nikon 20 MOA mount, I ordered the ADM Recon QD, also with a 20 MOA elevation. (What I should have done, in the first place.) Up to this point, I've harbored my doubts about QD mounts being able to Return to Zero, and have expressed them here on the board. Well, I am now ready to eat those

This past weekend, I had yet another good experience with it. I had previously painted my rifle, but was getting annoyed at the scuffs and scratches. Last month I disassembled the rifle to strip off the paint. This meant a complete tear down - including scope mount, upper receiver and barrel ... You get the idea.

After stripping all the paint, I reassembled the rifle and took it out to the range over the weekend to zero the scope. With the turrets still in their previous settings, the first three shots clover leafed and were exactly .1 mil high and .3 mil right from the POA. Mind you, I previously had lapped both the upper receiver and scope rings. Additionally, for this rifle, I had selected a thick walled upper receiver.

Needless to say, I am very pleased to have so little shift after such a drastic tear down.

Eta: Of course, I remounted the scope in the same relative position on the mount, and positioned the mount in the same rail slots as before. I would further suggest that you smooth the edges of the m1913 mount with a bit of emery so as to ensure consistent mating surfaces. Lastly, as always, YMMV. I would go to the range and do some testing before carving up a nice case.
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 05-18-2016, 07:25 PM. Reason: Add caveats
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

The LaRues I have with QD levers all return to zero about 0.1Mil from the previous zero after being taken off and reattached. Never exact but no more than 0.1Mil

I saw an interesting marketing video recently of Geiselle's new range of cantilever mounts. They use a laser as a proxy scope to make the point about return to zero. No reason why other brands shouldn't do the same. The point being you need to mark on the screws the spot for the same torque, or use a torque wrench.

(the hokey claim to working overtime at the start makes me cringe).

I'm starting to think that quick release levers may be inferior to screws and bolts. I've spent a bit of money on quick release so feel almost obligated to use them. If I had my time again I would go screws/bolts.

Comment

Working...
      X