• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonny rotton
    Warrior
    • Dec 2015

muzzle devices???

i am building an 11" 6.5 using a lilja barrel. what suggestions do you have for a flash hider or muzzle brake??? is a brake something i should have?? i do want flash suppression on the short barrel. please make some suggestions to this horde member. my barrel threads are 5/8 24.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

I personally would not put a brake on an SBR. The concussion is abusive, for starters.

Are you going to suppress it ever?

I would just throw an A2 on it, and whatever money one of the expensive devices would cost can go to more ammo/optics/mount/etc.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• jonny rotton
      Warrior
      • Dec 2015

would a 30 cal a2 work???

Comment

• Holyfather12
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2016

I think 30 cal breaks are usually 5/8 X 24 threads

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Do you need to brake an 11" 6.5 Gr? Like the .223 this calibre does not need taming to save your shoulder.

Felt recoil on an 11" might be a little more given it will be lighter, but again, this is a relatively tame calibre. For fast follow-up shots and projecting the blast and noise forward however a brake will help.

Muzzle pressure from an 11" barrel will be in the order of 16,000lbs compared to about 8,000lbs for a 20" (Ref, Quickload) - That is twice the pressure of a standard barrel. Also, powder will never be fully burnt so expect flame out the front. Even with faster burning powders like 8208 you will only ever get a 90% burn. Shooting at night should be spectacular...

A suppressor will be the most efficient device for containing the flame and they also brake the felt recoil. It will get a hammering however with the higher muzzle pressure so it will need to be rated for SBR's.

Or, a linear brake will project much of the blast and noise forward. Linear's are relatively inefficient brakes but in an 11" the noise and blast will affect you more than recoil. An added bonus is linear's do not need to be timed.

I have worked with the Troy Claymore (linear) and a few non-linear brakes on a 10.5" 223. For noise and blast especially when indoors the linear wins hands down. People nearby will also thank you. If however you want the most efficient brake on that 11", something that channels the gas sideways or even angled back toward you then prepare to go home with a headache.

Comment

• jonny rotton
            Warrior
            • Dec 2015

i may get a suppressor in a few months, or at least start the damned paper work. what weight and type bullet would be best in a shorty?? for hunting and self defense.

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Home Defence
              Unlike the military you are not limited by the Hague Convention on bullet types. So don't think the military have the monopoly of the best bullets for human hunting. They do the best they can with finite budgets and what they are permitted. Any bullet that expands at around 2,300fps (e.g. ballistic tips) will work for Home defence. Any bullet that works well on light-skin varmints will work just as well on us.

Hunting
              It the same gun as everyone else's, just lighter, more manoeuvrable, 400-500fps slower and noisier. bearing in mind the velocity will limit your max effective range but that is about it.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by jonny rotton View Post
                i may get a suppressor in a few months, or at least start the damned paper work. what weight and type bullet would be best in a shorty?? for hunting and self defense.
                You'll get more speed out of a 100gr so it's up too you. I have a 12.5" grendel and for hunting I'll use a 95-110gr bullet. After some research I might go wiping the 129gr ABLR. Research the can you are gonna go with them get one of there FH or just go cheap and use a A2 or PF NOX
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• varmithunter
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2015

if you think you would like to got I cool looking brake go to benchmark barrels and look up brakes

Comment

Working...
                  X