• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Cleaning Kits

Do I need a cleaning kit made just for the 6.5 or is there mulit caliber cleaning kits out there that have parts for cleaning the 6.5?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The only things I can think of specific to it are:

* Bore guide ( I use Satern's.)
    * Chamber brush

You'll need a 6.5mm bore brush and a rod thin enough to push through a .264" bore. I use Dewey.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Get a one piece Tipton rod, set of jags and brushes, some patches for your various calibers, bore guide from Sinclair, butchs bore shine and some quality gun oil and clean every gun you have. You will need bore guides for different guns tho.

Paul hit the nail on the head that I missed. A chamber brush or mop. I got the chamber mop from Sinclair and it stays attached to an old aluminum rod and runs in the cordless drill. Get the one for 5.56. Oh yeah part #749-003-061 for the bore guide.

Richard
      Last edited by ricsmall; 12-02-2015, 04:40 PM.
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

The one piece tipton rod is a great suggestion. I use a 6mm jag and bore snake (not used often) as the compound throat seems to make these impossible to get through when using 6.5mm. I never could get them through the barrel with any amount of force that I'm comfortable with.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Thanks for the info fellas I ended up buying a otis kit from AA.

Comment

• GM2
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2015

Ive gone away from rods entirely, just have bore snakes for each caliber. $12 on amazon

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

While I think that bore snakes have their place, I personally would not rely on them exclusively for keeping my bores and chambers clean. First, they do not address the chamber in any meaningful way. Secondly, they just don't get tough deposits as effectively as a bronze phosphate or nylon brush can.

The US Army Marksmanship Unit wrote a piece piece on the use of bore snakes, reprinted on AccurateShooter.com. I think it explains quite plainly why you should continue using a rod and a set of brushes and jags.

Each Wednesday, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit publishes a reloading “how-to” article on the USAMU Facebook page. Today’s “Handloading Hump Day” post covers bore-cleaning, specifically the use of pull-through style bore snakes. Visit the USAMU Facebook page each Wednesday for helpful tips.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I use the Bore Snakes for beater carbines like my 5.56 guns with chrome-lined or nitrided bores.

For my stainless higher-end barrels, I use the bore guide, Dewey rod, jag, patches, etc.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                X