• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spencer
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

5-9" or 7-13" bipod??

I apologize if there is a thread out there that I missed (I promised I searched), but I'm trying to decide between a 5-9" bipod and a 7-13" bipod. I don't see a lot of prone in my future .. mostly shooting from a bench. I've only had a bipod on one other rifle and it was a .300RUM .... so the led sled got a lot more play than the bipod. What are the things I should be thinking about as I make this decision?? I know it probably comes down to personal preference, but just looking for some help with the decision.
  • kb18no1
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

I use a 5-9" and it works great

Comment

• devildogandboy
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

shooting from the bench i use a 6-9" and sometimes wish it was a lttle shorter. go with the 5-9", the 7-13 might be too high.

Bruce
      HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I have both but for bench shooting I prefer the 5-9. Where I usually shoot at my house I'm shooting into a natural ravine. The shorter bipod allows me to keep the stock of the rifle lower to the table and I don't have to use as many sand bags under the stock or pistol grip. If your shooting on an incline the taller bipod might be advantageous. Even when shooting at targets that are close to the same plane as the rifle on the bench I prefer the shorter bipod. I'm using a Harris bipod attached to a sling swivel stud. If your using an adapter to a quad rail this might raise the front of the rifle even more.

Comment

• Jackem
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

An alternative to deciding between the 5-9" and 7-13" is going with an Atlas bipod. The tips on the legs are removable which allows a 1/2 dowel rod to be inserted in the legs of the bipod to give you lots of height options. I put 3' wood dowels in the Atlas and set in a camp chair on flat ground and use the bipods as an impromptu bench and when I'm on a steep slope trying to get steady to shoot across a canyon.

The pic shows dowel rods about a 8" long for use in tall grass

Jack
          Attached Files

Comment

• wraith1516
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

If hunting unless you are in a mowed field I would go with a good set of adjustable sbooting sticks alot cheeper than an atlas bipod and more height if needed I have a bipod but wind up using shooting sticks more often than not jmho

Comment

• BigBC
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Jackem View Post
              An alternative to deciding between the 5-9" and 7-13" is going with an Atlas bipod. The tips on the legs are removable which allows a 1/2 dowel rod to be inserted in the legs of the bipod to give you lots of height options. I put 3' wood dowels in the Atlas and set in a camp chair on flat ground and use the bipods as an impromptu bench and when I'm on a steep slope trying to get steady to shoot across a canyon.

The pic shows dowel rods about a 8" long for use in tall grass

Jack
              Quick question. Have you used full size mags with the Atlas? I'm concerned that in the prone position I will have to raise the bipod up to clear the mag from the ground and that it will be an un-comfortable "cobra" shooting position. Does everyone pretty much go with 10-15 round mags just to keep the rifle as close to the ground as possible? I guess that would make sense since 25 rounds would be most effective in a combat environment vs. what most people use it for. JW what your thoughts on that are.

Thanks!

Comment

• Jackem
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by BigBC View Post
                Quick question. Have you used full size mags with the Atlas? I'm concerned that in the prone position I will have to raise the bipod up to clear the mag from the ground and that it will be an un-comfortable "cobra" shooting position. Does everyone pretty much go with 10-15 round mags just to keep the rifle as close to the ground as possible? I guess that would make sense since 25 rounds would be most effective in a combat environment vs. what most people use it for. JW what your thoughts on that are.

Thanks!
                No, and I don't believe there would be much clearance with a 30 rounder without some extensions. I got the bipods as part of a package so I didn't experience the pain of buying them separately. I get a lot of use out them since making a leather cap that fits over the head of them so they work with my binoculars, which ends up be more than being mounted on a rifle.

Comment

• laxpatrick
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2015

I've used the shorter ones extensively out in Prairie Dog country. I've got some longer ones but they tend to spend more time in the cabinet than they do on the gun. Just a little too much. I like the ones that have the rotation,swivel in the event that you're on uneven ground.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

For precision work or on relatively stationary targets (pdogs, etc.), I use the Harris 6-9" notched bipod. (Low is stable.) For calling or stalking, I use the Harris 12-25" or a set of shooting sticks. I've not yet found the perfect bipod for all occasions, but these two activity types are fairly easy to plan for in advance.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Buster
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

The best bench rest bipod I have found is the SINCLAIR 3RD GENERATION F-CLASS, and I have tried a lot of them...

This unit will hold a level with minimal "rocking"

Comment

• BigBC
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Jackem View Post
                        No, and I don't believe there would be much clearance with a 30 rounder without some extensions. I got the bipods as part of a package so I didn't experience the pain of buying them separately. I get a lot of use out them since making a leather cap that fits over the head of them so they work with my binoculars, which ends up be more than being mounted on a rifle.
                        Thanks for the info

Comment

• leftyman
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2015

I bench shoot with a bipod because I feel its more realistic to hunting. Bags are definitely more stable but its apples and oranges. I like taller because I'm not crouched so much which inhibits smooth breathing, but again less stable. I just talked in a circle, so I ultimately think personal preference works best

Comment

Working...
                          X