.2925 Fired Case Neck Measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill Alexander View Post
    Your chamber neck is too tight and is probably too short to the transition angle. Your extractor has a sharp section somewhere on the edge.
    Well when the expert speaks it's good to listen. Played with the extractor (thanks bwaites) but didn't want to scrap it out if I could help it so didn't move enough metal to change anything. Then it dawned on me I have another AR my old faithful Bushmaster 5.56 that never failed me. Swapped extractors and suddenly the Grendel runs with Wolf 120s. The bulge is still there on the spent cases but it cycles fine, while it's a shame to not have brass that can be reloaded more than likely it's good to have the gun cycle the cheapest ammo available. So a big thank you Mr. Alexander for your time and inputs on this. So all this time I was looking at this as one problem when there were / are at least 2.

ps the Bushmaster runs fine with the rejected extractor so now the two ARs are blood brothers.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I kept the Wolf ammo and gave a couple of boxes of it to my buddy who loaded me the tools for the build to try in his rifle. He has a upper from Model 1 Sales and it shoots it fine with no issues (.297 neck dia after firing), so it's my rifle / chamber something and I feel it's only fair that I must retract any evil thing I said about Wolf for the time being. As stated above mine cycles it fine but the battle of the bulge is still on the spent cases but that's something I may address at a later time.

Comment

Just for sanity's sake, my brass comes out of my AA Grendel chamber with .299"-.300" measurements. I have yet to experience a Failure To Extract.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          Just for sanity's sake, my brass comes out of my AA Grendel chamber with .299"-.300" measurements. I have yet to experience a Failure To Extract.
          Mine also. After running it through a .287 bushing die, it measures .289.

Comment

Well I made my choices when I started the build based on what I thought I wanted on the rifle and now I’ve got to live with it for a while at least and maybe modify things as time and money will allow for. I’m really happy with the rifle as is now but understand that things can be improved. When I get the aforementioned time and more money there’s a good chance it will get sent to someone who can ream at least the neck and maybe the chamber just have to wait and see how it all comes out in the wash. The .293 seems to be a might tight for some purposes but I haven’t spent enough quality range time to see if I feel like the accuracy is so good that I’d just leave it alone yet. Guess at this point it’s still a working rifle that’s still a work in progress. I needed an ongoing hobby anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X