Clear All
  • alabamaslamma
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2021

POI Shift

• StoneHendge
    Chieftain
    • May 2016

Does the dispersion also increase as the POI shifts down?
    Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• alabamaslamma
      Unwashed
      • Oct 2021

Yes, it does.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

In my experience, that could be thermal drift. This was a BSF barrel which has a unique form of construction so some sort of warping could also have been occurring, but the relatively thin steel was definitely getting very hot. https://www.65grendel.com/forum/show...&highlight=BSF

I'm experiencing a similar phenomenon to what you are with a new Odin .223 barrel. After 10 rounds it seems to be hotter than it should and definitely takes longer to cool down than it should. I'm guessing that the steel on the Odin wasn't cured properly. I plan on running the same sort of test that I did with the BSF when I have the time.
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• alabamaslamma
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2021

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

You can lap the front of the upper receiver fairly easily, I used a cut-off barrel end and shaved down the pin.
            But more to the point, for the $$ you're planning, I would get a better barrel, grendel hunters are rack grade just a bit better than BCA but a roll of the dice never the less.
            Plus the trigger, and for sure the torqueing... but don't get hopes too high for your current barrel.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• alabamaslamma
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2021

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Comment

• kmon
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2015

I have seen it on several standard bolt actions and free floating the barrel corrected it.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2019

FWIW, and not saying this is your case, but I did get the exact same symptoms. In my case it was an AA 20" HBAR, and it took me a while (and a few boxes), to figure out that the barrel extension wasn't on very tight. They used some kind of Loctite, and when cool, it was super tight and great. But if I put a few round through it warmed it up, it got loose, and the barrel would droop in the receiver and within the free-float handguard. You could wiggle it with your hands. Let it cool down, and it tighten back up enough you couldn't notice, and stopped drooping. I pulled the barrel off, and sure enough, was able to unscrew the barrel extension right off with my hands.

I contacted Alexander Arms, and they did fix it; though the jerks made me pay the shipping to send it back to them. I'm irritated by that, since it was their defective worksmanship, but whatever. They then sent it back and my headspace and timing were still good. Not sure how you can tighten up the threaded barrel extension without affect those things - but they did. It works great now.
                    Last edited by lazyengineer; 10-09-2021, 09:48 PM.
                    4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Slammer,

Vertical spreads are typical of thin barrels and I have an old 1921 SMLE that does this, but it walks up the target, not down. Stringing up the target is typical so in your case something else is happening but related to heat. You can tighten up the screws etc but the gun already shoots well when it is cool, so that eliminates everything except heat. The free-floating aspect might be the cause but if there is space around the barrel and the only thing connecting it to the rest of the gun is the gas tube then that is as good as you are going to get.

My money is on one of two things; you've got a dud barrel or the mirage above the barrel is messing with how you see the target through the scope. Dud in the sense that your barrel is shifting too much when it heats up. As for barrel mirage this is most noticeable on a calm day and at night when the wind is not helping blow the boil away. In bright light it is there but we don't notice it, more or less. I do a lot of shooting at night when it is calm and it is definitely noticeable, especially with a suppressor. The air boils after about the first 10 rounds. Cranking down the scope and waiting between strings helps. Taking off the suppressor helps with mirage but then you don't get the benefit of milder recoil and gas taming behind the bullet. Bench rest shooters often use louvres above their barrels to deflect the boil from the scope axis. In an AR doing that that is pushing reason and given the very specific stringing mirage is possible but unlikely. Usually mirage just blows groups out or you get one round wide. So, I would do your checks while considering buying a better barrel.

Lazy's situation above could also be the reason, if your extension is glued (gluing extensions is contentious and opinions vary).
                      Last edited by Klem; 10-09-2021, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2019

I have an old .270 Win. Ruger M77 that does that. You can cover the first 3 shots at 200yds with a fifty-cent piece. Shot 4 is an inch right & 2 inches high. Shot 5 is 2 inches right & 5 inches high. It's done that since I bought it new in 1970.
                        I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

Working...
                        X