Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

7.62x39 bolts have the same inside diameter as Grendel bolts, the difference is the depth of the face.

7.62x39 and Grendel brass have the same case head diameter. If Grendel brass wobbles, it shouldn't, unless it isn't going under the extractor?

Comment

• Leadfarmer

I had a gun smith look at it and he said it is the bolt, that the bolt is the wrong size. It will extract my rounds but the bolt carrier group will not go completely forward. The bullet rests in the barrel, the magazines are correct. The only thing I can think of is the bolt has to be wrong. Sometimes it is very hard to extract the round too, the bolt carrier group gets stuck and you really have to pull on the charging handle to release it.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

bwaites is correct. You need to make sure you have a Grendel bolt and chamber instead of 7.62X39 bolt and chamber, etc. There are a few people making Grendel type chambers using 7.62X39 bolts that have different head spaces and spec's. They are not compatible with SAMMI Grendel barrels and bolts. I would recommend calling Bill Alexander at Alexander Arms who invented the Grendel. He has been very helpful sorting out this kind of mess created by non Grendel spec manufacturer's like this , if this is your problem. Hope this can help.

Comment

Check with your local gunsmith, does he have a set of go, no/go gauges for the Grendel? If the go gauge doesn't lock-up you probably have the wrong bolt, most likely the 7.62x39 bolt. For a little discussion on this problem read the following:
          Looky here http://www.ar15performance.com/6_5g_264lbc Someone is getting in on the Grendel business.. They usually have really nice and accurate barrels, and it has the more popular 5\8-24 thread.

Alexander Arms is the best source of information on the Grendel, they developed it.

Comment

• Leadfarmer

He did not for the Grendel but he measured it with a caliper and also placed an AK round in the bolt and it held it nice and tight. The Grendel round wobbled in the bolt assembly. I have already ordered a bolt assembly from AA. The barrel is from Satern and is 6.5 Grendel. So, in my understanding if it only takes a bolt and a barrel to make a Grendel and there is nothing wrong with the barrel, then the problem must lie in the bolt assembly. Also he said when you looked at it from underneath you could see the bolt was not fitting properly that it was slightly crooked. I have read your suggested thread and again the bolt I have is undoubtedly a 7.62x39 bolt, I need a Grendel Bolt and have on on order from A/A. Should be here Saturday and problem should be solved. I know that Satern and Lother use A/A Bolts for there Barrels.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Hope that solves the problem, good luck and keep us posted,

Comment

• leopard6.5

Leadfarmer: When did you get the Satern barrel?

I seem to remember last spring there were some people reporting problems with Satern barrels where they were having problems with the bolts.
                I don't remember if the bolts were the wrong ones that got shipped with the barrels or if it was a headspace issue but I do remember the problems being reported and Satern sending new bolts to the buyers.

You may want to check with Satern and inquire about these problems and see if it matches your problem.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Lee

Comment

• leopard6.5

Leadfarmer: Here's a response from Satern to a post here on the forum.

broken bolt
                  Hi! If you have an issue with a bolt that accompanied a Satern barrel it would be a good idea to send it back to us and let us take a look at it and investigate the issue. Also send us all the information available such as: were you shooting factory loads or hand loads etc. and we will check into this. We get our bolts from several manufacturers so if there is a problem we need to discuss it with them as well. You can find all of our contact info on our website.
                  Thanks
                  Deb
                  Here's another one that showed up also about an upper that was purchased at Midway USA with a Satern barrel:

I just bought it about a month ago. I wrote Satern, and they said that unfortunately that was a problem with all the bolts, and that Midway should have contacted me (they did not), but that they would send me a new bolt if I wanted. Since I presume my current bolt is properly headspaced and now functions flawlessly, I prefer to keep the one I had. The person that wrote me back was Kim Hageman from the email address kimsatern@gmail.com if that saves you any time. I'm glad Rootshot did all the work for us.

--fanofflyn
                  I typed in " satern bolt problem" into the search engine just to see if I could find the posts last year.
                  This is a different problem than yours but I also saw last year people having other problems with their bolts.

Good luck.

Lee
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Leadfarmer View Post
                    He did not for the Grendel but he measured it with a caliper and also placed an AK round in the bolt and it held it nice and tight. The Grendel round wobbled in the bolt assembly. I have already ordered a bolt assembly from AA. The barrel is from Satern and is 6.5 Grendel. So, in my understanding if it only takes a bolt and a barrel to make a Grendel and there is nothing wrong with the barrel, then the problem must lie in the bolt assembly. Also he said when you looked at it from underneath you could see the bolt was not fitting properly that it was slightly crooked. I have read your suggested thread and again the bolt I have is undoubtedly a 7.62x39 bolt, I need a Grendel Bolt and have on on order from A/A. Should be here Saturday and problem should be solved. I know that Satern and Lother use A/A Bolts for there Barrels.
                    LF:

LW will chamber for either bolt at the request of the customer. I don't think Satern is making barrels for AA anymore but are probably making the samd thing using a name other than 'Grendel'.

LR1955

Comment

• Bicyclewrench

And people wonder why AA is so hard core about spec. Personally I'm glad they are. My biggest fear in getting into AR "wildcats" was the uncertainty of knowing what works with what. Buy an authorized Grendel. No worries.

They'll get you sorted Leadfarmer. It's a damn good round. Stick with it.

Comment

• Leadfarmer

I should be getting my new bolt from AA tomorrow. I hope that was the problem. I am almost certain that it was because the old bolt is 7.62 x 39mm. It took AA forever to get it to me almost a week. They said I would have it last Saturday in three days. When I called them they didn't know why it hadn't been processed.

Comment

• Leadfarmer

Well the new bolt is here from AA and I still have the same problem!!!!! I called the local gunsmith here and he doesn't have the gauges for the 6.5mm Grendel and says it is more than likely a headspace problem. He says he can't work on it and doesn't know anyone that could!!! NOW WHAT??!!

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

You need to contact Satern and have them look at the barrel. The bolt they sent you with the barrel should be properly headspaced for it. If you can't get a factory round to chamber how are you going to get a headspace gauge to chamber?

Comment

• Leadfarmer

You can never get a hold to anybody at Satern. Yeah the bullet wont seat all the way in the barrell and it is keeping the bolt from turning and engaging. The bullet is also very difficult to extract.

Comment

• Leadfarmer

I sent an e-mail to Satern, they said they would fix my barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X