• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevinohio
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2019

Empty case necks dented?

I resently just got my at 15 built.and it shoots ok with no jams or nothing.but I noticed in the empty steel case the the neck was dented.i was shooting the wolf 100 grain classic ammo.is this anything to be concerned about.
  • BCHunter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2018

Nothing to be concerned about, two remedies put a piece of velcro on the brass deflector, or dissamble the bolt and cut a couple coils off the ejector spring.

And since wolf classic isn't reloadable casings, even less of an issue.

Comment

• Kevinohio
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Kevinohio View Post
        So it won’t harm my reciever doing this?im I’m new to this.whats brass catcher location? Do you have pictures as to where to put the Velcro at.
        The brass deflector is that lil nipple that sticks out off the upper right behind the ejection port.

Unless your intending too load for the rifle I wouldn't worrie about it.

If your going too reload brass cases fired from the rifle. Best thing too do is Google the ejector spring mod and get someone to help you who is knowledgeable about tearing down the bolt.

Cutting the ejector spring down a few coils will remove the dented case mouths. Make sure your not over/underhanded before doing this. Spent cases should be in the 3:30 area and the bolt should lock back on the last round.

Go slow and ask lots of questions, lots of YouTube videos too help you understand and learn how too do anything to a ar15 rifle.

Comment

• rabiddawg
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2013

Your rifle is defective. I will give you $3.50 for it.
          Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

No, but if you paint the receiver with Duracoat or rattle-can it will eventually wear the paint off where it impacts. It will be a very small mark so nothing to be overly worried about. If you don't reload then it's a non-issue.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
              Dude I almost choked on my tobacco I lol so hard lmao.

Comment

• Kevinohio
                Bloodstained
                • Jan 2019

Thanks everyone for the help

Comment

• Former Cav
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                  $4.00 I need something to mess with.

Comment

• Chance-dg
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2019

Klem or anyone.....I am using a group buy bolt and 16" GB Barrel...…..ejecting violently....small dent on each case but the Fed. case dents are cracked slightly...Hornady cases are just slightly bent at the mouth of course. The ejector pin is so tight I can't remove it with a bench block and correct roll pin punch???? I just sent a pic of a .893 6 shot group to the GB Master Monster with the Fed 90g. TNT factory rounds so shooting in nicely. But the Fed cases are ruined for reloading and the Hornady cases are suspect till I resize and trim them. I have spare plungers and springs BUT the roll pin on one end looks to be chipped or broken during installation and may be the reason this pin is stuck in the bolt. HELP Please

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Chance-dg View Post
                      Klem or anyone.....I am using a group buy bolt and 16" GB Barrel...?..ejecting violently....small dent on each case but the Fed. case dents are cracked slightly...Hornady cases are just slightly bent at the mouth of course. The ejector pin is so tight I can't remove it with a bench block and correct roll pin punch???? I just sent a pic of a .893 6 shot group to the GB Master Monster with the Fed 90g. TNT factory rounds so shooting in nicely. But the Fed cases are ruined for reloading and the Hornady cases are suspect till I resize and trim them. I have spare plungers and springs BUT the roll pin on one end looks to be chipped or broken during installation and may be the reason this pin is stuck in the bolt. HELP Please
                      Your over gassed.

Comment

• Chance-dg
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2019

That's what my wife says too....I am using a superlative arms adj. gas block with it tuned to just lock the bolt and carrier back on an empty mag??? OH adjusted for Hornady ELD M 123g did not adjust for the 90g load.....uggg it is still denting the Hornady case mouths slightly.....is it worth shortening the plunger/ejector spring???
                        Last edited by Chance-dg; 09-17-2019, 03:47 AM. Reason: left out info

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Chance-dg View Post
                          That's what my wife says too....I am using a superlative arms adj. gas block with it tuned to just lock the bolt and carrier back on an empty mag??? OH adjusted for Hornady ELD M 123g did not adjust for the 90g load.....uggg it is still denting the Hornady case mouths slightly.....is it worth shortening the plunger/ejector spring???
                          Yes.

Sounds like you have tamed the gas to just right, but you now need to fix the cases impacting the deflector.

What equipment do you have to get that stuck pin out?

Comment

• Chance-dg
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2019

Nothing really...….small bench block, split pin starter set and a tap hammer...…..a small box to mail it to someone and the ability to compensate them for their efforts....lol I have spent a LOT of time and fitting (and Money) to build this little MONSTER to my specs and thought I could drive the pin out and shorten the spring with little effort.....uggggggg the build parts list reads like a Christmas list (for the most part) and is starting to shoot in nicely when I do my part so mostly happy so far till this issue.

I have never had this issue with any of my 5.56 builds but they don't have the range of bullet weights to handle with the fast twist barrels I use.

Comment

• Bigs28
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2016

I have a superlative arms gas block as well. It sounds like you got yours figured out but i could not use the bleed off feature. Was still way overgassed and had to switch to choking the gas down. That works perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X