• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Howa grendel mag spring

Who here has a extra mag spring or knows where to source one?

Already called legacy they don't offer part support and want me to purchase a whole mag for just the spring.

I took my mag apart while doing after season maintenance on my gear. General cleaning stuff and well like a fool I seem to have lost my spring somewheres to the black hole that has become my workshop.

I need me a spring bad anybody got a extra one are a source where I can buy one?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Ouch. That is kind of a large item to misplace,

Try Wolf Springs.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Thanks sticks I will take a look over there.

I messed around with a few ar15 mag springs this morning but they are too wide for the mag body. If it wasn't for that I could get one too work.

Comment

• hill37
        Warrior
        • Apr 2017

Would a Magpul spring be more narrow.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
          Would a Magpul spring be more narrow.
          No I tryed one from a pmag. Tryed a pmag spring, cpd spring, asc spring and an elander spring I had laying around.

The spring that comes in the howa mag, is lil more then a bread twist wire. Think less then half the thickness of a ar15 style mag spring. And it isn't bent as wide as ar15 mag springs.

Working on a wire jig now. Have some stainless steel wire in a roll I'm going to see if I can bend one up too match my other howa mag spring. Hopefully it will work.

I would have thought for sure howa/legacy would have had some kind of parts support for their product but I guess not.

Well one more strike against howa/legacy in my book.

If I can get the wire jig and stainless wire too work, i will make a bunch and stash them or offer them as refits for the horde.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

what about a single stack pistol mag spring? don't have any one in mind, come to think of it they may be too short front to back...
            Or, any single stack rifle mags out there?
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
              what about a single stack pistol mag spring? don't have any one in mind, come to think of it they may be too short front to back...
              Or, any single stack rifle mags out there?
              Might strip one of my 40 cal mags and see if it will work.

The stainless wire I have wouldn't work, to brittle, it would break when I would try and start bending it around the jig I made.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

I’ve never seen the type of spring for a Howa magazine but Brownell’s sell spring wire for fabricating/bending your own magazine spring. Brownell’s also sell mag springs for various rifle magazine. I’d probably buy a spare Howa magazine then measure the spring.

Since the Howa is basically the same size gun as a Remington 799 or Zastava bolt action you might be able to get a mag spring for one of their mags.

Another option might to be to contact Weatherby. The Weatherby Vanguard is basically a Howa. Weatherby might be able to advise the manufacturer of the magazines or springs for the Vanguard.

Like someone else mentioned Wolff gun springs might be able to fabricate a spring or could be the supplier for the original Howa magazine spring.
                Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-14-2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Here is a thread where a member cut down a Howa mag to fit flush with the bottom metal. There are picture of the mag spring. Might help to have original pictures of the spring.

For those of you that may be interested, figured I would post the modification I did to my Howa 6.5 Grendel. Magazine will only hold 3 now, but fits nice and flush with the bottom of the magazine well. First I cut the magazine just above the engraving below the first rim and sanded it flush with the rim. Used 100 grit first

Another thread with pictures.

I was inspired by smcdurmon's thread on making a flush mag for the Howa and decided to tackle it myself. Here is a link to his thread. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14214-Howa-Mini-Magazine-Modification For my flush mag I wanted to see if I can get 4 rounds in there and did things slightly different from
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Vassar thanks for the links.

Will be ordering some wire from brownells and give it a try on the jig I built today.

I have anouther mag, a cut down flush fit 4 round I made. But the spring I lost was my second mag I leavt full length for when I want too shoot from the bench.

I used it hunting a few times before season closed and it got a bit dirty so I took it apart and cleaned it up, got called off too do something else and well forgot everything in my shop.

Came back and lol well can't find the spring now.

My cut down spring still uses the full length spring in it so I have it to take good messurments off of.

Hopefully the wire from brownells works. If not we'll I will have too rethink this howa rifle thing. Not much use in a rifle if I cant source parts for it.

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

If you can make a shorter spring out of the wire for your shorty-mag and use the full length in your full mag... might be easier.

Edit to add -- wild thought out of the blue... for that short mag, what about the spring from a savage or other 3/4-rounder mag, fit up to your howa follower? just totally brainstorming off the wall...
                      Last edited by grayfox; 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

If you can make a shorter spring out of the wire for your shorty-mag and use the full length in your full mag... might be easier.

Edit to add -- wild thought out of the blue... for that short mag, what about the spring from a savage or other 3/4-rounder mag, fit up to your howa follower? just totally brainstorming off the wall...
                        If I had one too try I would. Don't want to drop cash on one and it be a waist. I did order up the spring wire from brownells, so hopefully I can get it worked out sometime next week.

I did bust open my rem sportsman 78 270 too get a few messurments of the flat spring in it. But it's way to wide to fit in the howa mag. I would destroy it trying too shave it down to be slim enough to fit the howa mag body.

If the spring wire I ordered works I will make up a bunch and stash them and if a member should lose are break one of theirs I can fix them up.

But if it doesn't work well may have to make some changes in the gun safe. I wont keep a rifle I can't get or make parts for.

Comment

• grayfox
                          Chieftain
                          • Jan 2017

I just did a quick/dirty trial with a savage axis 223 mag... the spring will fit but looks like it's only long enough to go in that shortened mag you made... probably find one on ebay or a lgs...
                          dunno but it might be worth a shot for ya.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2015

I just did a quick/dirty trial with a savage axis 223 mag... the spring will fit but looks like it's only long enough to go in that shortened mag you made... probably find one on ebay or a lgs...
                            dunno but it might be worth a shot for ya.
                            I like the idea of a flat spring like almost ever other bolt action rifle uses.

Might see if the local gunsmith/rifle range might have a few old springs from some rem 700's laying around. Might beable to lay them up on my belt sander and work them down till they are slim enough to fit.

Will check it out tommorw.

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

Mind the heat, unless you are skilled in metallurgy and can re-temper the spring.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

Working...
                              X