• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

Elander 17rd mag problem

I have two 17rd Elander mags. Today I had both of them malfunction the same way. Loaded full (with two diff. types of ammo SST and American Gunner, one type in each mag) they ran perfectly fine until the 2nd from the last round.

It ejected the spent fine, but the 2nd from the last round would get hung up on the way into the chamber and be smashed by the bolt against the barrel extension.

I know the mags are finicky but they are both doing the same thing at the same point in the mag. What's the most likely fix? Bending feed lips?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Sounds like both of them having something catching the follower in the same spot inside the mag body.

Open them up and look at the weld spots to see if the follower is catching.

Whatever it is that's catching the follower you will see a rub mark on the mag and the follower.

You could check the lips but I doubt they would be the problem, if they were they would be doing it more then often.

I'm almost positive it's something inside the mag body that's grabbing the follower.
    Last edited by A5BLASTER; 08-02-2018, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• imaguy3
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

how do you open them up? I'm only familiar with pmags... just unbend the tabs on the bottom?

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

No don't bend the tabs.

Push the lil button that sticks throw the floor plate in and then slide the floor plate off.

Never bend the lil tabs.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The ejector can cause a failure to feed and there is an easy modification you can do to the ejector to help determine if this a magazine issue or maybe the ejector. At least if you do the mod your eliminating one potential problem.

TECH TIP by Robert Whitley, AR-X Enterprises LLC Over the years, while working with various AR-15 cartridges that require a larger bolt-face bolt (i.e. bigger than a 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem bolt-face, like those cartridges that use a 6.8 SPC bolt or the bolt face suitable for the 6.

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
            I have two 17rd Elander mags. Today I had both of them malfunction the same way. Loaded full (with two diff. types of ammo SST and American Gunner, one type in each mag) they ran perfectly fine until the 2nd from the last round.

It ejected the spent fine, but the 2nd from the last round would get hung up on the way into the chamber and be smashed by the bolt against the barrel extension.

I know the mags are finicky but they are both doing the same thing at the same point in the mag. What's the most likely fix? Bending feed lips?
            This is normally called a Bolt Over Base Failure To Feed Malf.

It is often a gas system problem, and since it happened with 2 mags in the same manner, it could be both gas system and mags.

Usually, it's a matter of the BCG not retracting enough due to insufficient gas, or excessive gas and too fast of a cyclic rate for the magazine spring to catch up with.

If you clean out the inside of the magazines, it could help with this issue.

Look for any burrs on the inside of the magazine and on the follower.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

^^one of mine intermittently did what the op describes. I change my leaky gas block and cured my problem. Look for gas leaks.

Another sign mine displayed was on the last round it locked back on the mag not on the bolt catch. If the mag doesn’t drop free after the last shot it may be undergassed. Not traveling back far enough.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I don't think it's a gas problem but I could be wrong.

He said both mags had the same malfunction with different ammo but at the same round count leavt in the mag.

To me that sounds like both mags have a lil ruff spot are weld spot that is catching the follower and causing it to malfunction.

That's just how it reads to me, I have been known to be wrong though.

Comment

• Texas
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2016

I had a similar problem. Disassembled the mags and polished the inside of the feedlips and upper magazine with 0000 oiled steel wool. Problem solved.

Comment

• imaguy3
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2018

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    I don't think it's a gas problem but I could be wrong.

He said both mags had the same malfunction with different ammo but at the same round count leavt in the mag.

To me that sounds like both mags have a lil ruff spot are weld spot that is catching the follower and causing it to malfunction.

That's just how it reads to me, I have been known to be wrong though.
                    This thank you... each mag had a few hundred rounds of suppressed use... inside was a rough mess at the top of the mag where the follower was hanging up. Cleaned up and they are smooth again.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by imaguy3 View Post
                      This thank you... each mag had a few hundred rounds of suppressed use... inside was a rough mess at the top of the mag where the follower was hanging up. Cleaned up and they are smooth again.
                      Hey no problem sir, glad we could help find the problem.

Comment

• kansas
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2017

I have 15 of the Elander 17rd mags ... I max load them to 15 rds. All of them have needed a brief "work in" period ... maybe 5 mags worth of shooting ... but then have not had any issues. But thanks for the tip. I have about 800rds total thru them all with most thru the first five, so I might be approaching the next issue, as described herein, for the 5 well used ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X