• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdelong
    Warrior
    • Feb 2017

Scope help please, experts

Experts, I am running into a problem I have not been able to solve. I have an 18" Odin barreled upper that I just took to a 1000Y precision shooting class. I had a Weaver Tactical FFP 6-30X scope on a 34mm Aero lightweight mount, used it on day 1, hits at 1K, was ecstatic. Day 2, the elevation turret stopped working, so I switched to the instructor's Bushnell 3.5-21X HDMR scope on a Larue mount. Adjustments for 1K were about 13mils and made hits at 1K on 10" gong all day. I returned the defective Weaver scope and was only offered the option of a credit (via Natchez), so I picked up a Vortex PST GenII 5-25X and a 30mm Aero mount. I did not "RTFM" and zeroed it, only to find that I did not follow instructions for the zero stop. I re-zeroed today, following the instructions.

Here is the problem...for my 100Y zero (Hornady AG 123gr), I can now only get ~8 mils of upward adjustment in total, far short of what I need to dial for 1K shooting. I followed the Vortex instructions exactly (remove outer turret, loosen 2 screws, zero it, replace outer turret). I did not have this issue with the Weaver or the instructor's Bushnell. I am guessing I have done something stupid, but could use some help from the experts here.

Any suggestions? It just seems odd that I'd only get ~8mils adjustment when I am using the same mount I had on the Weaver (Aero lightweight). I am hoping I am just doing something wrong.

Thanks!
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

That Vortex in Mils has a total elevation travel of 20Mils, so roughly half up and half down...10mils. Your Aero lightweight mount does not have any inbuilt cant which doesn't help get you elevation for long ranges. There never is exactly half up and half down after you zero a scope but 2Mils seems excessive.

An immediate fix would be to source a mount with 20MOA cant (6Mil). 8+6 = 14Mils of elevation.

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

If I had plans to shoot at 1000yds I would only buy 20 MOA bases or mounts.
      Most scopes don't have enough elevation range for 1000 yard shooting.
      I live in the hilly wooded eastern USA so I only have bought 0 MOA bases or mounts.

Comment

• StoneHendge
        Chieftain
        • May 2016

I can't believe you didn't buy an HDMR after using one for a day!
        Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• jdelong
          Warrior
          • Feb 2017

Thanks! I am guessing i never topped out on the Weaver or Bushnell then by luck. I dont plan on 1k regulalrly, though i wish, but would like to be set up properly for it. The other thought i had was a 200Y zero, but nit sure how much that would help. Thnaks again

Oh, i DID want the Bushnell after using it, but my credit was limited to Natchez and they did not carry it. It is a great scope for sure

Comment

• Sticks
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2016

Get a 20 MOA mount. Nightforce Ultralight unimount or AADM (?). Lots of problems reported with the Aero mounts last year, maybe the fixed them, not sure.
            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• jdelong
              Warrior
              • Feb 2017

Weaver makes a 20MOA riser. Any experience? $50 vs a brand new mount

Thanks!

Comment

• Mesa1978
                Warrior
                • May 2015

Originally posted by jdelong View Post
                Weaver makes a 20MOA riser. Any experience? $50 vs a brand new mount

Thanks!
                I have 2. One on a MUR and one on a PF billet. They are both permanent mounts. I Blue locktited the mounting screws. Hundreds of rounds on each and no loosening. One advantage in addition to 20 moa is that I have no bridging with the forearm rail on either, yet have good scope eye piece placement.

I can definitely recommend.
                Last edited by Mesa1978; 07-04-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• jdelong
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

Awesome, thanks!

Comment

• NCFED
                    Unwashed
                    • Jun 2018

there's always going with an alternative zero distance or an alternate point on the reticle as long as that makes sense.

Comment

• jdelong
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2017

an update for anyone still tracking...got the riser. now I need something to raise my cheek on the stock that does not interfere with the charging handle. Always something...I am going to try to make my own first.

Comment

• grayfox
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2017

Some Magpul stocks can use a 1/4" or 1/2" riser (I got some on Amazon like ~$20), they didn't impact my chg handle. Another one I put a 1/4" piece of self-stick neoprene, helps on that one.
                        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X