Breaking in a new Odin Works - DSArms upper on RRA lower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robertWperret
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2018

Breaking in a new Odin Works - DSArms upper on RRA lower.

I am having feeding issues. The upper has an adjustable Odin Works gas block so when I load a single round into my 10 round Elander 6.8/6.5 magazine the rifle fires and the bolt locks open. When I load more than one round the first rounds fires and the bolt cycles and picks up a new round. I pull the trigger and get a click and the round does not fire. I believe that the bolt is not going all the way in battery. Is this the cause of not getting enough gas through the gas block or a magazine issue? I have two new Elander 10 round magazines and it happens with both.
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Try opening the gas block anouther half turn or a full turn, that should tell you if it's a issue of not having enough gas to drive the bcg fully home.

Comment

• Lastrites
      Warrior
      • Apr 2017

To add to A5's suggestion, make sure the bolt catch if is catching the face of the bolt and not the bottom of the carrier. Also check if the ammo is snagging/hanging up slightly on the edge of the case mouth on the front lip/edge of the mag. How old is the recoil spring and is it the proper length, and what type of receiver extension carbine/rifle?

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

On reloads if you don’t set the shoulder back enough from sizing the bolt may not close completely. If the shoulder isn’t set back far enough or the bullets are seated to long the cartridge maybe difficult to extract when unloading a chambered round.

Comment

• 1Shot
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

I have two Oden Works barrels one 6.5 Grendel and one 223 both have intermediate length gas port. Both have the tunable gas block and unless you are running a suppressor the gas block most likely needs to be wide open. I run mine wide open and run a carbine spring stock set up and have never had a single problem. Only time I ever had any misfeed problems was trying to shoot 100 gr Sierra HP bullets in the Grendel. They have a huge HP that make a sharp edged flat nose and the bullet would hit the feed ramp and sometimes catch and drive the bullet back into the case and not feed. This bullet is just not semi auto friendly. I have run all sorts of soft point and smaller HP bullets in both 6.5 G and 223s with no problems.

Comment

• Crusty
            Warrior
            • Dec 2017

It could be locking back on the magazine rather than the bolt catch due to insufficient gas.
            I'll be yer Huckleberry.

Comment

• robertWperret
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2018

Thanks for all of the input. I ordered two new 17 round Alexander arms mags(I will need them anyway)to see if it is a mag issue. I will get to the range sometime next week to adjust the gas block and check to see where the bolt is when it hangs up. My lower is a Rock River from a 24in varmint, rifle length. I measured my reloads and they are all in spec as far as I can tell. I will update after my next range trip. Thanks All!

Comment

• BCHunter
                Warrior
                • Jan 2018

So new upper, there is a lot of metal on metal contact there, so good cleaning, polish on bcg and inside upper, lube it up, and check your gas and buffer spring.

Factory ammo or reloads?

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Be sure to load your new 17 round E-Lander mags to full capacity as soon as they arrive. The springs are very stiff and take time to wear in. Once the E-Lander springs take set the mags become a lot easier to load and unload.

Comment

• 1Shot
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2018

One other thing to know about Elander mags is they will not allow your cartridge over all length to be as longs as ACS/AR Stoner mags will allow. I am sure that Midway's AR Stoner mages are ASC mags. I have had great performance in both of my rifles from the ASC & Stoner mags and they are way less costly than Elander.

Comment

• robertWperret
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2018

Range trip today to finish breaking in the barrel. Issue with the feeding problem resolved with the new 17 round Alexander Arms (Elander) mags. No need to adjust the gas block. I noticed that there is a BIG difference in the spring tension between the 10 and 17 rounders. The 10 rounders seem way too stiff. Is there another remedy for this other than keeping the mags fully loaded for a month or so? Now to work on some handloads so I can squeeze the accuracy out of it. Best group on the break in period was with xbr powder and 123 gr Nosler cc. 1/2 in 3 shot group but opened up to 1 and 1/4 for 5 shots.

Comment

Working...
                      X