• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greyling
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2018

cycling issues with the grendel

I'm new to the grendel, just starting in on my rebarrel project and soaking up knowledge. Does the grendel have cycling issues? I have come across comments about making sure you have the right mags, a youtube video about some extractors needing tuning..... It the grendel a problem child?
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

In short, NO to all of the above.

Problems arise when people start buying barrels with non SAMMI chambers, barrels headspaced for a non .136 bolt face (using an bored 5.56 bolt, or 7.62x39 bolt) or just flat out wrong bolt, gas ports that were drilled too large, and by far, improper assembly be it DIY or from a company that sells complete assemblies.

Grendel ARs have the same problem ratio as every other AR15 out there.

The threads and videos of "tuning" will make any AR15 run better. Lot of us here will lap the receiver face, bed the barrel and gas block, polish the extractor, ejector, and feed ramps (some will go as far as lapping the bolt to the lugs in the extension). These are all steps to make a rifle more reliable, and get the most accuracy that one can achieve with the parts involved.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Greyling
      Bloodstained
      • Feb 2018

well that's good to hear. It seems like the biggest problems were coming from larger magazines. But the 7.62x39 has struggled with that for...forever in AR's. The problem is that straight magwell and the heavily tapered cartridge.

Comment

• outbreaker
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

With all ARs if you having cycling issues it usually boils down to one of 2 issues.

1. Gas.....either too much or too little.
        2. Magazines. Some are good some are horrible.

I use adj gas blocks in all my AR builds......even 5.56....to fix number 1.

Number 2.....in 5.56 it is easy.....use magpul. In the Grendel it is still easy.......Stay away from stoner mags. I have had bad luck with everyone I have tried. Cproducts and Elander are fine........not Stoner.

Comment

• Greyling
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2018

yeah, my plan is to put an adjustable gas block on it. especially since it will eventually run suppressed. I really wish I could cheap out and run a bear creek barrel on it, I could afford the block, some mags, dies etc all at once, but I hear too many iffy things about bca. I don't think id be happy. now if it was a 223 barrel, i'd go fir it. I've yet to have or see a 223 barrel that wasn't moa with my handloads. (now I've never had a barrel less than $100 either. most of mine are in the 125-200 range)

Comment

• calvarez
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2017

I've never had an issue with mine, and it's up to about 700 rounds now. It's a BCA upper, Spike's H2 buffer, Tubbs flat spring. The mags are C Products and ASC, in various capacities. I've tried a variety of ammo from cheap Wolf junk to all the high-end options.

Comment

• Turkey hunter 82
              Unwashed
              • Jan 2018

I just did a build and have had no issues other than trying to find ammo here in LA (lower Alabama). BCA 20 inch barrel on a PSA upper running a BCA BCG. I went with an adjustable gas block and have had no issues so far, I have only had a chance to run 20 rounds down the barrel but no issues.

Comment

• Sticks
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Turkey hunter 82 View Post
                I just did a build and have had no issues other than trying to find ammo here in LA (lower Alabama). BCA 20 inch barrel on a PSA upper running a BCA BCG. I went with an adjustable gas block and have had no issues so far, I have only had a chance to run 20 rounds down the barrel but no issues.
                Ammoseek.com is your friend....Unless AL has laws against ordering ammo online and having it shipped to you.
                Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                  In short, NO to all of the above.

Problems arise when people start buying barrels with non SAMMI chambers, barrels headspaced for a non .136 bolt face (using an bored 5.56 bolt, or 7.62x39 bolt) or just flat out wrong bolt, gas ports that were drilled too large, and by far, improper assembly be it DIY or from a company that sells complete assemblies.

Grendel ARs have the same problem ratio as every other AR15 out there.
                  This. I've been grendelling since 2007, built multiple. Never had one that did not work out of the box.

Quality components, don't buy into "improvements" or variances on chamber, get a proper Grendel bolt. Use known good mags and ammo for initial testing.

If you've not loaded for ARs before there is a learning curve. Many issues you hear about are people new to Grendel and loading for ARs.

If you exclude 2-3 barrel mfgs who had fallouts with AA over chamber variances, the number of folks with Grendel build issues drops significantly. (Looking at you Steve Satern and LW)

Comment

• drykilned
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

I have feed issues with c products defense mags. I am now on my third. The first one I had I fixed after reviewing this site. I immediately have misplaced it after going to the range twice! Received the second one and still have not resolved its problem. I have ground the front lip to clear cartridge mouth, ground the leading edges, bent the cartridge hold down lip upwards slightly on both sides. Cartridges shoot every time if I feed them in manually dropping them into the chamber and letting the bolt go home. I might would believe I had lower assembly problems except that one mag I fixed worked fine! If I try to feed through the mag it will work sometimes but most times the bolt does not go all the way home resulting in a misfire then it is very difficult to extract using the charging handle. I am waiting for the third to arrive to compare side by side. I believe the shells are being slowed by the vertical grooves in the magazine on both sides, front and back. These grooves appear to be smaller than the groove around the base of the shell and grab the shell as it goes by creating just enough friction to slow the bolt. Problem with that idea being that I got one mag to work! I am open to any suggestion. I am using, and prefer, 10 round mags.

Comment

• drykilned
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

u p d a t e: TOOK THE ABOVE MENTIONED MAGAZINE AND LUBED THE HELL OUT OF THE TWO RIBS MENTIONED. THE SHELLS CHAMBER WITH EASE FOR RIGHT NOW. WONDER WHY SOMEONE CANNOT MANUFACTURE THE MAGS WITHOUT THOSE RIBS THE LAST INCH TO THE TOP OF THE MAG? THINKING ABOUT TRY ING TO GET MY SON TO OPEN THE MAG ON THE WELDS SO I CAN HAMMER THE GROOVES FLAT AND REASSEMBLING IT. NO I AM NOT INSANE.

Comment

• calvarez
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jul 2017

I haven't had issues with the Grendel, but for problematic/junk mags in 5.56 I found that Hornady One Lube gives a perfect result. They go from an average of one failure per mag to nothing. I take it apart, make sure everything is coated, and put it back together.

Actually One Lube is miracle stuff for guns and general shop/household use.

Comment

• drykilned
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Are you talking about one shot case lube? If so, I do use that as case lube. never thought about using it as regular lube! I will give it a try.

Comment

• Tex Nomex
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by drykilned View Post
                            Are you talking about one shot case lube? If so, I do use that as case lube. never thought about using it as regular lube! I will give it a try.
                            Different product. Petroleum oil + teflon, I think. Never personally used it on firearms, but works well on lawnmowers, hinges, etc... It's very slick.
                            "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
                            -- Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-188

Comment

• tango29
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2014

look at this URL

Could the bolt spring be the problem? Since I only have 80 round through it. Can it normally take more breakin rounds to correct the problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X