• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

SCS gave up the ghost

Ok so my scs gave up the ghost this morning, dang screw totally stripped out didn't get it hot enough this time I guess.

So here is my question, I have a PF m16 profile bcg in my upper will a standard rifle length buffer and spring work properly with the heavyer bcg?

And should I install heavyer tungsten weights to the buffer to add to the buffering mass an and to the dead blow effect of the buffer?

Also my 18 inch barrel has rifle length gas and a adjustable JP gas block.
  • Rickc
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

Am i to assume you have a grendel?

and.what were you doing.to your silent capture spring to tear it up?

For a rifle length stock like an A2 or PRS you need.a rifle length spring.and buffer. For a carbine you need a carbine buffer. They are not interchangeable.

Bolt carrier group really shouldn't matter

I like an h2 buffer in my grended but a standard buffer should.work just fine especially since you have.an adjustable gas block. Just adjust the gas block for proper function

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Well of course you should assume I have a grendel this is the grendel fourm.

I understand about rifle buffer and spring with rifle buffer tube and carbine with carbine tube.

Weight of the bcg does affect the running of the rifle because a heavyer bcg will need more buffer weight to slow down lock time and felt recoil.

What I am asking is will a normal weight rifle buffer and spring work properly with a heavyer m16 bcg and if not should I change out some of the weights to tungsten, reason being I had to change out some of the steel weights to tungsten on my scs, so it would seem wise to do the same to the rifle buffer.

Hope all this is clear now.

Reason I asked is i haven't used a standard rifle buffer and spring with this

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

And to answer your question of what I did to mess my scs up see my first post sir.

Didn't heat the screw up enough this time and it caused it to strip out.

Comment

• jim_bob
          Warrior
          • Jul 2014

A5, you can run whatever weight buffer you want since you have an adjustable gas block. If I were you, I'd run the lightest buffer I could and then dial the gas block down.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

If you're running a rifle length setup, run a rifle buffer, 5.2-5.4 oz, and rifle spring. If running a carbine setup run an H3 and carbine spring.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Thanks for the reply gents.

I ordered all the parts so I can try out the rifle buffer with heavy tungsten weights, while me scs goes back to JP so they can get the screw out and replaced.

Comment

• keystone183
                Warrior
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                Weight of the bcg does affect the running of the rifle because a heavyer bcg will need more buffer weight to slow down lock time and felt recoil.
                More mass moving in the system creates more felt recoil. The whole reason to run an adjustable block is to be able to tune the system, IMO. Why did you have to change the weights on the scs to the heavy tungsten weight????

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

I had a long talk with the guys at JP and sent them a few pics of some brass and what the bcg looked like after 50 rounds of use and they told me they recommend the heavy version of the scs for the grendel.

They said they felt my bcg was unlocking to fast, so I got out the tungsten weights and the spring kit and went to tuning.

I get what y'all or saying bout going to a lighter buffer and all but when I put the tungsten weights on it it started running cleaner and to me the recoil of the rifle felt less sharp.

Now before doing all this my rifle was tuned awesome, perfect lock back on empty mag and brass lands in the three o'clock to four o'clock position around ten feet away, and yes my gas is turned down as low as possible.

Since changing out the weights and spring on the scs, no more dented case mouths brass all piled up at the tree o'clock position rifle ran cleaner and like I said what recoil it did have felt not as sharp now.

All that being said I ordered a rifle buffer and standard spring and xp spring and the tungsten weights for a rifle buffer when it gets here I will run it at standard weight and see what it does.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

Standard rifle buffer/spring works fine.

Gotta heat that Loctite up until it releases before torquing on it.

My removal went without a hitch, as I waited for the smoke and smell.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2015

Yea I knew to heat it up till it smoked, I got side tracked with kinfolk visiting and was talking and didn't get it as hot as I thought and it stripped out, it is on its way to JP as we speak, they will get it out and install the same screw the gen 2 uses.

I bought the tungsten weights to play with in the rifle buffer to match the weight of the scs.

SCS IS 7.2 ounces

Rifle buffer is 5.2

So I will try it at normal weight first and see what it does then install tungsten weights to match the scs and see what it does.

Comment

• keystone183
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2013

Did they say anything about changing the springs on the scs to a stronger one? What is your setup? (Barrel length/gas system)

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Yea they had told me to try different springs as well.

JP 18 inch lightweight barrel and bolt, rifle length gas, JP split yoke micro adjustable gas block with factory installed gas tube.

Comment

• keystone183
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

Interesting. I would not have guessed an 18" rifle gas would be unlocking early.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Like I had said it was running perfectly but one day I was cleaning both mine and my woman's she has the same barrel as mine and I noticed mine was very dirty compared to hers.

We shot the same amout of rounds that day and the same kind of rounds as well, factory 123 sst, only diffrence between my rifle and hers is that i have a rifle length tube and scs and she has a carbine tube with a carbine buffer that i got from KAK as a build it yourself kit it's very heavy.

So that got me to thinking something maybe a lil off, so I gave JP a call and explained to them my setup and they told me that they sujest the heavy scs for the grendel and to add atleast two tungsten weights and possibly try a different spring to slow down unlock.

So that's what I did and it work rifle ran cleaner and brass stoped getting bent on the case mouth, and the brass started to stack at the three o'clock position instead of landing from the three to four o'clock postion, and to me the recoil seemed less sharp.

But I ordered the parts to play with until my scs gets back from JP.

Comment

Working...
                              X