• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hikfromstik
    Warrior
    • Oct 2016

Gas tube issues

To begin , I'm having trouble with accuracy after removing a gas block and tube ,tapping the tube in the block ( jp adjustable .936) , then reinstalling. I put the jp .936 adjustable gas block on when building my upper . It was previously shooting about 1/2 moa or less before tapping . Now it's about 1moa . The gas tube barely touches the gas key and is touching one side of the receiver where it enters the " cloverleaf " section . I readjusted the gas block ( not the adjustment screw) this morning a millimeter or two , but wasn't enough . There is not any resistance on the carrier , but a small vibration that transfers down the tube when going forward . I've heard this can effect the accuracy. I have a JP mkiii forearm and it has the smallest gas tube holes I've ever seen . I've ordered another gas tube incase I accidentally bent it , which I think I did . I know this gun can shoot better and it has me regretting taking it apart . Any suggestions . Note : I ve taken it off and put it back on twice to fine adjust the gas tube aftet the initial tapping procedure .Before the first gas tube tuning it was shooting 2 moa , so it's getting better . Anybody else ever had this problem?
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

I found that gas blocks and tubes can have more of an affect on accuracy than I would have thought previously. You can slightly tweak the gas tube so that it is touching nothing, or as little as possible. It should help.

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

You can bend your tube to align optimally with the carrier key.

This is one of the main troubleshooting steps I do with a build.

With the JP adjustable block, you can cant the block so the tube aligns with the cloverleaf in the upper.

It's hardest to align with RLGS, since there is more length to mis-align.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickc
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I use this gas tube alignment tool. One of.the few remaining tools in my wheeler armorers tool kit I bought when starting out with AR's

It works really well. If you index the barrel nut with this device gas tube alignment is no problem.

Could.it be that you have shortened the.gas tube with all your modifications

I believe I would just buy a new gas block and gas tube and chalk this one up to a learning experience

Comment

• hikfromstik
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Rickc , with the jp gas block on .936 barrels you have to tap the gas tube inside the gas block so the adjustment screw can go all the way through the tube to shut it off. I bought a new gas tube yesterday ( ordered online ). I'll update the results . I have a nonadjustable spare gas block that I can use if this doesn't work. It's hard trying to get a gun as accurate as possible, but I enjoy the tinkering. Thanks for the feedback everyone !!!

Comment

• Rickc
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

well I cheated when I ordered my JP adjustable gas block. I had them install the tube in the gas block so it came already assembled.

I hate messing with those tiny little roll pins in gas blocks

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Same hear cheated ordered my gas tube installed from JP when I ordered the gas block.

Comment

Working...
              X