short barrels and long range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short barrels and long range

alot of people have 20"+ barrels, Id love to see some 16-18" barrels at longer distances (3-400+yds), anyone out there doing it? Pics and specs?

I have two 16" Grendels, a Les Baer and an AA ultralight. I've shot both at 600 yards and they will easily hold the ten ring on an MR target.
    Sorry, I don't have any pics with me, I'm traveling in Arizona and my pics are in Florida.
    Bob

Comment

Awesome, what ammo? Reloads or ? 1:8?

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

600 yards is no problem with the 18" barrels that I've shot. Twist rates / brands have been 7.5 / Sabre Defence, 8.5 / Krieger, 8.75 / Satern, & 9 / BHW. Usually used 123gr Scenar and A-max bullets with muzzle velocity anywhere between 2450 and 2530 fps. In the absence of wind, 3-shots groups have been sub-MOA, using both factory and handloaded ammo (whichever the barrel had shown preference for).
        Drifter

Comment

awesome, thats why I went with the 6.5G, excited to get mine together!

Comment

Both are 1:8" and with hand loads with 123 A-Max
            Bob

Comment

perfect, the AA upper I have coming is a 1:8!

Comment

David Fortier claims that he gets great results out to 800yds on his personal range with his 16" Grendels, and shoots out to 600yds with his 12" Grendel reliably using the 123gr bullets.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Deezil View Post
                  alot of people have 20"+ barrels, Id love to see some 16-18" barrels at longer distances (3-400+yds), anyone out there doing it? Pics and specs?
                  Deez:

Here is the bottom line with short barrels. Maybe a couple of bottom lines?

If you are using iron sights, the shorter the barrel the shorter the sight radius -- the more prone to sight alignment and picture error = poor consistency that gets worse as you head down range. I had to mention this although most guys here use optics / single point aiming systems. Also, most guys who do have irons on the forum have back up irons which aren't intended to do anything but get the guy out of trouble until he can fix or replace his aimpoint or optic.

More importantly, velocity. The shorter your barrel, the less velocity. The less velocity, the more prone the wind is to push your bullet around. A nice sunrise in the desert when you have no wind and you are only limited by the accuracy potential of your ammunition / rifle / and you. Let the wind pick up and the higher your velocity, the more mistakes you can make doping the wind and get away with it.

If you want a comparison, today people who shoot competitively at 600 view about 2800 fps with a bullet having a .5 or higher G-1 BC to be sufficient but 3K fps is much better. Bullets with this type of BC for the Grendel mean those in the 123 grain range and given a 24" barrel Grendel hot loaded enough that your bolt won't last more than 1K rounds, you may get 2650 but more likely around 2600. So, you can compare the two.

To 300 or 400 yards, unless the wind is really moving or you are shooting at a target that is under 2 MOA, it probably won't matter enough for you to want a longer barrel. Let your target size get under 2 MOA and shifting winds of 5 + MPH and you will probably want the highest possible velocity from the Grendel as you can safely get.

LR1955

Comment

Hi LR,
                    How have you been? I generally agree with what you said, the faster the velocity, and the higher the BC the better for 600 yards and certainly beyond... However there are more 80 grain Sierra Match Kings shot at 600 yards competitively than any other bullet by a huge margin. The 80 SMK has a BC of .420 and is fired at 2,700 fps out of a 20" service rifle. Service rifles outnumbered match rifles 4:1 at the National Matches this year. I've seen several cleans (200 out of 200 points for those not familiar) shot with this load under tricky winds so it can be done.
                    But the obvious issue is that this is the number one load because of rules not because of choice. None the less I find the 123 A-Max fired from a 16" Grendel to be as easy to dope wind with as the 80 grain SMK out of a 20" service rifle. If I were to compete in a full course mid range prone match (300, 500, and 600) with anything other than my service rifle then yes I would shoot a more capable caliber such as a 6BR, 6XC .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor out of a 28 or 30" barrel Tubb 2k or Ellisio tube gun. My friend Jorge Puignau just shot a new national record 200-20X+1X using a 6XC at 600 yards. That is a testament to the shooter not the equipment but it does play to your point of choosing a more capable caliber for that purpose. I would just not short sell the 600 yard performance of a 16" Grendel.
                    PS Jorge outshot several 6.5X284's even shot from Open F-Class, not just from score but by group size as well, and he was shooting metallic sights from a sling. So skill is still king.

Bob

Comment

• jwilson1985

very true skill is the majority at extended ranges...that said i made hits at 1000 with a 18.5" barrel it was a steel silhouette target... but a scoped riffle of course not open sites.

though when loki demoed some riffles at fort chaffie, a sniper there done 825 with a 16" barrel and a eotec (something i couldnt have done for sure) and one of those things that i wouldnt have believed if i didnt see it.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                        very true skill is the majority at extended ranges...that said i made hits at 1000 with a 18.5" barrel it was a steel silhouette target... but a scoped riffle of course not open sites.

though when loki demoed some riffles at fort chaffie, a sniper there done 825 with a 16" barrel and a eotec (something i couldnt have done for sure) and one of those things that i wouldnt have believed if i didnt see it.
                        JW:

Here is a saying from the shooting sports. "The easiest point you make is the one you buy."

LR1955

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                          Hi LR,
                          How have you been? I generally agree with what you said, the faster the velocity, and the higher the BC the better for 600 yards and certainly beyond... However there are more 80 grain Sierra Match Kings shot at 600 yards competitively than any other bullet by a huge margin. The 80 SMK has a BC of .420 and is fired at 2,700 fps out of a 20" service rifle. Service rifles outnumbered match rifles 4:1 at the National Matches this year. I've seen several cleans (200 out of 200 points for those not familiar) shot with this load under tricky winds so it can be done.
                          But the obvious issue is that this is the number one load because of rules not because of choice. None the less I find the 123 A-Max fired from a 16" Grendel to be as easy to dope wind with as the 80 grain SMK out of a 20" service rifle. If I were to compete in a full course mid range prone match (300, 500, and 600) with anything other than my service rifle then yes I would shoot a more capable caliber such as a 6BR, 6XC .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor out of a 28 or 30" barrel Tubb 2k or Ellisio tube gun. My friend Jorge Puignau just shot a new national record 200-20X+1X using a 6XC at 600 yards. That is a testament to the shooter not the equipment but it does play to your point of choosing a more capable caliber for that purpose. I would just not short sell the 600 yard performance of a 16" Grendel.
                          PS Jorge outshot several 6.5X284's even shot from Open F-Class, not just from score but by group size as well, and he was shooting metallic sights from a sling. So skill is still king.

Bob
                          Bob:

Good to see you back and I hope you did well at Camp Perry this year.

I think you already know what I am about to say. So far, it is a toss up between hot loaded 77 grain and hot loaded 80 grain bullets for the "Service Rifle" category in High Power competition. The fact is that without going into an exotic core or lathe turned solids -- both are against the rules -- there is nothing else to choose from.

So, the reason why High Power guys shoot the 80 grain load is that nothing else currently exists that is better for 600. My bet is that if someone would make something that equaled a 6XC loading in 5.56 that the 80 grain loads would disappear as fast as the M-14 / M-1A disappeared from High Power when the AMU broke the code about making a M-16A2 clone competitive.

I would say that your 80 grain load for the AR-15 is probably real close at 600 to the 123 A-Max load you are using for your Grendel. Not enough difference to mean much. On the other hand, I wonder if a decent 77 grain VLD hot loaded the way guys hot load those 80 grain loads wouldn't give an edge over that 123 A-Max load? Not sure but I bet you probably have tried?

LR1955

Comment

Interesting

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                            Hi LR,

Bob
                            Hi I'm new here but have an AR and hopefully soon a Grendel and I am glad to hear this. If I get a Grendel I'd really like an 18 inch, with a collapsible stock. I love how portable short Ar's are. I usually shoot only to 300 yards but if I buy a Grendel id really like to be able to get to 600. It seems there would be a lot of weight difference between 80 smk and 123 amax. Is there a twist rate that shoots both these well? As I research I'd like to find out. I generally like heavier bullets but I know Grendel has limited case capacity. What do ya think a good length is for a portable truck gun and barrel twist for Grendel you may wanna jump out n pop a coyote at 500 yard on farm or hit 600 on paper? Would a 20 be better?

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hydrotech View Post
                              It seems there would be a lot of weight difference between 80 smk and 123 amax. Is there a twist rate that shoots both these well?
                              When stokesrj referenced the 80gr SMK, it was likely regarding a .223 / 5.56mm weapon, and comparing the performance to the 123gr A-max in the 6.5 Grendel. In other words, they're bullets for different calibers / cartridges.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X