Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terrywick4

tried my grendel at 200 yds with hornady factory

I'm not sure if my gun likes the hornady 123 factory or not.

Yardage = 200
    Conditions = near perfect 50 degree day, zero wind (in SD no less)
    Shooting with bipod and sand bags
    New Vortex pst 6-24X50 (replaced Nightforce Varmeter 6-24X45)
    Satern 24' barrel
    New jewell trigger (took out the JP)

Might be rethinking of reloading these other than to save some money?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Naw, I think you need to send me that rifle and let me make sure its functioning correctly!

LOL!!!

Nice group!

Comment

• terrywick4

Yeah, my brother had me build him one just like it. Well almost. lol

Might have to put the JP trigger back in, had a couple of double taps with the Jewell. I re-adjusted it and shot 20 rounds without a double but still not convinced. I read that they are prone to it on heavier recoils? I really like the Jewell, light and crisp which is great for precision shooting. Hopefully more overtravel and more disconnect will solve the problem. Am hoping to top my 7mm wsw 575 yd deer with the 6.5 grendel.

Comment

That is a fantastic group, Terry. Let me guess, that "flyer" is from the double-tap, right...
        Last edited by Guest; 11-20-2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• jwilson1985

yah awesome group

Comment

• terrywick4

No I wish I could say it was a double tap, but was shooting on at a time. I realized it had ocassional double tap the next time out. the double tap wasn't on paper (3X4 cardboard) Even with the brake.

Comment

So is that Satern barrel the older, official Grendel chamber, or is it the newer .264-LBC chamber?

Comment

• terrywick4

It is the older. I purchased it somewhere around march. Then ordered second for brother just before they stopped making them.

Comment

Beautiful group!

How do you like the 6x24 PST for that range? I'm currently using a Bushnell 4200 4-16x that has reasonable glass for the price range, but without target knobs or stadia lines for holdover, shots at 400 yards, the distance I shot this past Saturday, are darn near a crap shoot. Repeating a successful shot is so difficult without a precise aiming point. I'm seriously considering the PST 4-16 or the 6x24. I've read the 6x24 has slightly better glass so I'm leaning that direction, but I worry that the higher magnification might be overkill for me. Sorry to sidetrack the thread.

Edited to add that if my barrel shot factory ammo that well, I'd consider giving up reloading.

Comment

• terrywick4

The Pst gives a pretty clear 2 inch orange target at 200. At 350 A 2 inch orange dot is pretty clear.

I currently own Nightforce varmenter , vortex pst, leopold vxIIIs, nikon monarchs and old busnell banner. I would rank them in the order I listed. The Votex glass is comparable to the Nightforce but I do believe @ (as my brother calls it) prime time shooting time (the last seconds of shooting time) I think the nightforce pulls in light little better. I am thinking of replacing the leopold and replacing it with a PST 6X24 on 7mm wsm. BUt I will need to do some further testing on PST because: Took a poke at a doe at 620 today with the 6.5 and was low (passed up on the spike buck at 15 yards in front of my ground blind). Not sure if my calculations were off but am pretty sure the 7mm would have smoke her. Further long range testing with the PST scope is in order. I shot two rounds at paper @ 350 this afternoon one was 3 inches low and other was dead nuts. I'm guessing the low one was first with cold barrel, but I did take the comp off before shooting.

Comment

Thanks for the details, terry. I believe that I can improve my long range shooting with a scope like the PST with target turrets, so I'm ready to take the next step and spend some coin on optics. I don't think I'm ready for Nightforce prices, but the PST sounds like an affordable and reasonable alternative that allows me to practice with ranging while saving a little money for powder and bullets. Again, I appreciate the info.

Comment

• skyfish
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2011

Well darn, now I can't post any of my range pics. Your 200 yard group looks like my 100 yard groups, better than some too. That's nice shooting. I seem to get .6-.750" groups with the 123 A-max(at 100 yards). Been the most consistent through my 18" AA barrel, factory or handloads.

Comment

The Vipers and Viper PST's hold up amazingly well to extreme shifts in temperature and continuous range sessions in those environments. Return-to-zero is solid and boringly dead-on. I think the 4-16x50 is a great fit for an 18-24" Grendel. The NightForce glass is clearly better, but you'll pay twice the price.

Removing a muzzle device will definitely have an adverse effect on POI shift 99% of the time.

Comment

Newb .02 cents. I shoot mostly bolt guns at long range. I have NF, SS, Leupold and Bushnell scopes and have had Vortex scopes. I really like the Vortex Razor line but have experienced nothing nice with the PST. The reticle has fallen, black specs in the tube showing up in the view and just cheaper feeling scope. Vortex does have good customer service if needed though. If you want to stay in the same price range, a Super Sniper from SWFA is a nice scope in that class as well as the new Bushnell Tactical Elite series. They don't break the bank but perform very well and have nice glass. Both are first focal plane with Mil/Mil adjustments and reticle.

Comment

Originally posted by ss355 View Post
                              Thanks for the details, terry. I believe that I can improve my long range shooting with a scope like the PST with target turrets, so I'm ready to take the next step and spend some coin on optics. I don't think I'm ready for Nightforce prices, but the PST sounds like an affordable and reasonable alternative that allows me to practice with ranging while saving a little money for powder and bullets. Again, I appreciate the info.
                              Believe you can? You absolutely can. I can't see how you would put yourself through the pain of using a scope with poor turrets. lol

I'm happy with my pst btw, but honestly, The plain old viper is good stuff too. I mean, for twice as much for the PST, you don't get twice as much scope. I do favor the PST for sure. I'm really fond of the reticule. It's proving to be quite functional for me. That's the downside of the viper, the mildot. Nothing against mildots, but an moa reticule to go with the moa turrets would have been nice. The finger resettable turrets are what I miss from the Viper. I kind of wish the PST had that, but I'm living with it. I use a 30 moa base, so the zero stop feature doesn't offer me much, considering that the base naturally puts my 200yd zero within a handful of minutes(within a rotation) from the top end of adjustment. That means the rail acts as my zero stop by simply bottoming out the scope. It's nice that it lines my rotation counter up all properly too

Originally posted by Stacyp View Post
                              Newb .02 cents. I shoot mostly bolt guns at long range. I have NF, SS, Leupold and Bushnell scopes and have had Vortex scopes. I really like the Vortex Razor line but have experienced nothing nice with the PST. The reticle has fallen, black specs in the tube showing up in the view and just cheaper feeling scope. Vortex does have good customer service if needed though. If you want to stay in the same price range, a Super Sniper from SWFA is a nice scope in that class as well as the new Bushnell Tactical Elite series. They don't break the bank but perform very well and have nice glass. Both are first focal plane with Mil/Mil adjustments and reticle.
                              Let me guess, you got one of the earlier PSTs? I read that a handful of the early batch ones had those problems, along with less resistive turrets. Those problems are supposed to be fixed by now. well, at least that's what Vortex told me when I asked them about it immediately after I ordered mine. I've been using it a little bit though, and none of these problems materialized for me.

Yeah, I read nothing but good about those HD SuperSnipers. Heck, I like the cheaper SuperSnipers too though.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X