• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captk
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

My first 6.5 Grendel Build

Here is my new 6.5 Grendel. This is the first time I built an AR without a complete upper. It's built with Spikes upper and lower receivers, J&T 20" bull barrel, 1/9 twist, RRA NM 2 stage trigger/LPK and RRA A2 stock plus the "Spur" grip. It's topped with a RRA Hi-rise scope mount and Simmons 6X24 Predator scope. I live in NY and decided to use the Spur grip to stay legal. Only 1 evil feature allowed, I went with detachable mag. So far 120 rnds thru it and it has been flawless using Hornady 123 AMAX and SST ammo. Next trip out I'll use a Bench rest instead of the sandbags to see how accurate it is.
    I will be building a second 6.5 Grendel using the 24" Brownells barrel I have, will try the Thordsen stock instead of the Spur grip.

Ken

• danm
    Warrior
    • Aug 2014

Do what you got to do! What are the fundamentals using that grip, do you just 'knuckle up' with your lower 3 fingers?

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Congrats on your build, gotta follow the rules. I'd probably do the same detachable Mag too.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Captk
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

You thumb warps around the grip and the trigger finger are all that touch. Not really happy with it, it's OK for shooting on the bench, which is all this rifle is for, too heavy to lug around. I'll use the thordsen stock for my next build, it has a grip like a sporting rifle but does qualify as a pistol grip. Other people using them seem to like them, kinda fugly looking but you get used to it.

Ken

Comment

• Wheelhorse
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Looks good and I'll bet it's a good shooter too. I'm using a A2 stock and don't even live where there are restrictions.
          What are the laws there about the muzzle?

Comment

• Captk
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Basically if it has a detachable mag + 1 additional evil feature (pistol grip, muzzle break / flash hider, collapsible stock, bayonet lug) it is considered an assault weapon and had to be registered by March 2013. If you missed that date you cannot own one. If you do register, you cannot sell to anyone in NY unless they are LE and cannot pass on to you heirs. You can sell it out of state, hand it over or make it compliant. I will pick up a Thordsen stock which will allow me to eliminate the pistol grip and keep the detachable mag. If you get a "permanent mag" (AR MR2) then non of the assault weapon conditions apply. Both of my kids live close by here on Long Island so I am not going anywhere. I am sorry I didn't register a few rifles instead of selling them. Most of my shooting is from the bench. If I want to hunt it is 2 -3+ hour drive so I just put holes in paper.
            Next trip to the range I'll use the proper rests and see how accurate it is with the Hornady ammo I have. I was shooting sub-moa with an occasional flyer that was me.
            Last edited by Captk; 12-08-2014, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Looks good capt. Ken. Ever thought of moving out of NY ? Bloomy was -is a d bag from hell- coumo also. I would struggle to adapt to any rules, especially those enforced on an area of the country - that was found,,, and taken over from our founding forefathers- to enforce freedoms, and the second amend.

Maybe I'll come out there to hunt with u some day soon. Life is a learning lesson....

Do the kids have AR's? prolly not , eh?

Comment

• Captk
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2014

My son in-law has one of my old AR's. My kids aren't really interested in the shooting sports. But I have enough for all of us in case they change their minds.

Almost no hunting where I live, unless they open the season on 2 legged varmints.

I'd move from NY in a minute but both of the kids live close by and once they have kids I'll never get the chance to leave.

Comment

Working...
                X