My longrange (hopefully) Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My longrange (hopefully) Grendel

Just completed three weeks ago, have got some very promising groups already. Intend to use this in a match that will take it out to 700 yds., mostly against boltguns.
    RRA receiver
    RRA two stage NM trigger
    YHM forearm
    JP gasblock
    Lothar-Walther 24" bull, 8 twist
    Larue Tactical mount
    Attached Files

Great looking rifle. Good luck at your match.

Comment

Nice rifle with some serious glass! Let us know how the match goes and how your rifle "Matches" up the the bolt guns.

Comment

metalman,

If you know how your rifle performs at all the distances you will be shooting at, and have accurate data for your load attached to the rifle (preferred), to include wind deflection, you'll be a few steps in the right direction. If you're already familiar with long-range shooting, sorry for the unsolicited advice. Once you get her broken in and can transition comfortably from target to target at distance in windy conditions with 1st-round hits, you will place much higher, I promise.

Also, you might want to practice your malfunction clearance drills. I would really master the failure to feed drill, and failure to extract under stress. Anticipate being in a sandy environment that will really suck to get your mags dumped in, which will hurt a bolt or auto-loader either way for feeding if you scoop up a pile after removing your mag.

If your bolt carrier is lubed generously with a good lubricant like Slip2000, you'll have less issues. You certainly won't suck because of lack of good glass. I'd recommend that your LaRue QD points be tightly and evenly bound to the upper. That simple failure cost me and my partner several places last year, since I lost my zero the day before. It was totally my fault for not ensuring they were both tight, and it was too late when I discovered it.

With the right bullets, you will be competitive against the guys using .308's and 168 SMK's. What can make you competitive against faster 6.5's and the magnums will be your skills at running the rifle and scope turrets, skills making and adjusting to wind, and actual cool-headed shooting.

Good luck,

LRRPF52

Comment

Adding a reply to my own thread as sort of an update. Not so much for my rifle specifically but for cudos to the Grendel round in general. I have been and still am very pleased. The Grendel is not too fussy to load for and as time has proven not too hard on brass, I still shoot the first 100 pcs of Lapua brass I purchased right after the build. Of course, accurate, as only accurate rifles are interesting. In my matches against the bolt guns unfortunately I rarely win but I never come in last and I'm still the only gas gun in the mix. The lack of winning rests squarely on my shoulders I assure you, as the rifle can perform past my abilities when under the stress of the clock. As evidenced by the 3 shot group from just a few days ago fired at 650 yds, is easily within 1/2 minute. (the red circle is 3.25" and desiginates the 20 pt. "X" for that distance) All from the same rifle in the original pics, except it now carries a Magpul PRS stock, and has had 1600 rounds down the tube.
          Attached Files

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

So that is 16 loading of the same 100 pieces of brass???

Comment

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
              No they aren't my only brass. They have been loaded 9 times and annealed twice so far.

Comment

Dude, that is crazy accurate for 650yds. What load are you using?

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
                  I have a fair amount with 20 reloads and I don't anneal.

Comment

• heinz57grendel

Very nice

Comment

Which Nightforce do you have sitting on top?

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        Dude, that is crazy accurate for 650yds. What load are you using?
                        27.7 gr IMR 8208XBR / 123 gr SMK

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5City View Post
                          Which Nightforce do you have sitting on top?
                          NXS 3.5-15x56 NPR1

Comment

• usmc1371
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2011

Nice group. Great info.

Comment

Working...
                            X